Triaxis Lead 1 Red and Output Knob Problems?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booyah

Reaction score
I have a Triaxis I just received, it's a V2 probably not modded (factory pre's have been overwritten so I can't check that but the guy who sold it to me got it new and is a jazz player and wouldn't have much use for it). This is my first Triaxis so maybe it's just me but Lead 1 Red has almost no volume to it unless I crank all the gains way up (LDR may need to be checked I think from reading other posts). I'm running it record out to a Roland KB300 using a GT10 in the effects loop. I have a GM2 coming next week, ordered it after I saw how much good tone was lost hooking it up to the Triaxis, not only the GT is going but an ADA Microcab I bought as well. Both sound horrible compared to just the preamp straight in. The real problem that's got me wondering is the master volume knobs way over to the right have no effect on any type of volume at all, overall master or effects in/out, nada. Wondering if they won't with the way I have it hooked up or is somethng else wrong with the preamp? Thanks for any help!

Oh and my preset changes wont save after a reboot! doh! Time to call Mesa Boogie?

Do you have a manual? There is a way to restore the factory presets. Can't follow most of what you explain but the rotory master controls act as send volume for the effect loop. I never run effects in the loop, I place them in between the output and power amp. the Gt 10 is a roland floor multi efx unit? If so try it in front of the Triaxis input, might work better there. I never have to crank the master volume pots all the way with either the 20/20 or the 290 power amps or any other amp I've used with it , I'm fond of placing it in front of a SF Twin Reverb using the recording outputs. None the less the most I've ever turned up the master is to 6 or 7 usually more like 5 to 6. The Red 1 channel was a browned out Marshal kind of tone and had no gain problems before or after I had the Recto Mod done, If you have the Recto Mod on Red 1 you may have to pump the bass above half way to get a good tone out of it, just the nature of the mod,It's a cathode follower circuit, it can pass massive amounts of bass. It is the Channel I use the most. Try working with having all the volume, gain and drive sections all set the same on the displays as this will give you a good starting point. try not to raise the the bass any higher then then 5 on all the other modes, use the mid control like another gain control,treble and presence to taste. Be careful with the dynamic voice it only works well with some of the high gain modes Green2 Yellow2 and Red 2. I don't think running it into a solid state Key board amp will give you your best results though. By the why program presets have to be set up with a certain sequence or key strokes holding down certain buttons which I don't remember off the top of my head and I don't have my manual here. Just changing the settings by adjusting the up down buttons on the various parameters does not save them if that's what your trying to do. Also the Factory Presets resided in numbers 1-20 and if they have not been over written by using a code in the manual they cannot be changed. The manual is your friend if you don't have one you should be able to get one online, without it this is a very complex unit that will create a lot of confusion for you. It takes some time and effort to fully understand how to get the best tones out of it.

I re-read the manual and figured out that I can't overwrite presets 1-20 finally. As far as the GT-10 I'm not using it. Have a G Major 2 coming tomorrow and just been working on basic tones with record out, into an ADA Microcab and then to my keyboard amp. Pretty good results though maybe down the road I'll try out a Palmer PDI-09, the ADA seems to darken the tone from the amp alot, using the units high knob adds a different type of high. But it's all good, I got tones and the G Major won't mess them any further from what I heard.

For the Lead 1 Red, it really has no guts at all. I get some distortion but not as much as any of the other channels. I will get it looked at eventually, it's not killing me to ignore it for now. Thanks for the reply man!

how old are the preamp tubes in there...there may not be a problem with the TA but possibly with the other components you are using and the output configuration,,,,the way you have it setup in your last post does not do the triaxis any justice....
I have a triaxis that is very old from the early 90s maybe 80s and I only had to change out the tubes and the main output volume pot..
if you have axcess to a mesa power amp try that to see if indeed there is a problem with the TA...and run it in stereo right and left channel...
I also do not use the effects loop and run everything direct(triaxis,,g-major,,ultrafex pro,,,into a 2:90 and out to the cab) lead 1 red should sound deep and brutal in a good way :wink:
I totally agree with allphourus you need to run the TA through a dedicated power amp..

I talked to the original owner and the tubes are factory original. I swapped V1 and V3 to see if Lead 1 Red would wake up but it's still a dud. I'll keep swapping tubes to make sure the problem isn't with one of the other tubes. I plugged the Triaxis straight into an amp with no loops to test my setup but still no change. Might just have to call the Mesa techs down the road.

On a good note I ditched both the GT10 and the ADA Microcab. Got a G Major 2 and just using the Record Outs of the Triaxis. As it turns out the record outs already do speaker emulation and much better than ADA.

Booyah said:
I talked to the original owner and the tubes are factory original. I swapped V1 and V3 to see if Lead 1 Red would wake up but it's still a dud. I'll keep swapping tubes to make sure the problem isn't with one of the other tubes. I plugged the Triaxis straight into an amp with no loops to test my setup but still no change. Might just have to call the Mesa techs down the road.

On a good note I ditched both the GT10 and the ADA Microcab. Got a G Major 2 and just using the Record Outs of the Triaxis. As it turns out the record outs already do speaker emulation and much better than ADA.
when you call mesa give them the serial no. so they can tell you how old the unit is .....glad u ditched the other 2 units ,,,the g major is a really good unit and i use one as well in my 2:90/triaxis rig and with the MKV......good luck
oh and V2 is the gain tube for lead 1 red !!!!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but people stumbling onto this page with the same problem as the OP will finally find an explanation and a solution.

Booyah(the OP) and other users mentioned having re-read the Triaxis' Manual, and still not understanding why the problem occurred. The thing is... The manual provides detailed information on the features used and the solution is right there in the manual.
That being said, I totally understand how people can browse that huge and sometimes technical manual and fail to find that one particular piece of information you're looking for.

I've had my TriAxis for 10 years and I still go back to the manual from time to time just to look for info I could've forgotten, but mostly for inspiration/ideas on how to get new tones I never got around to explore.

Now, onto the OP's problem:
The OP said he could not get ANY volume out of the Lead 1 Red Mode until he turned up both gains (Gain & Lead 1 Drive) very high, and even then volume was very low. He also described his setup/signal chain. What got him worried was that he couldn't get any change in volume when dialing up (or down) the OUTPUT LEVEL knob.

~>THE KEY THING HE MENTIONED IS THAT HE USES THE TRIAXIS' RECORD OUTS, which then go into an FX unit.
->He does not use a Power Amp!

Problem Explanation & Solution:
• The Record Outs are positioned earlier in the circuit/signal path than some components...
• The Record Outs are positioned BEFORE the OUTPUT LEVEL KNOB (far right), and also before the Regular OUTS.
• This means that:
->Since the Record Outs are placed before the Output Level, it's perfectly normal that this control/knob has no effect on the signal going to the Record Outs!
->The Output Level only affects the regular Outs (at least regarding Volume. It also controls other signals' strength but it's not relevant to this thread.)

~>You might then be thinking: "Ok, if the Output Level knob doesn't affect the Record Outs' volume, then what controls it?"

The answer is:
The Master Volume (near Presence) controls the signal strength sent to the Record Outs!

RECAP:
So when using the Record Outs, just remember that the Master Volume becomes your only Volume Control, and all will be fine!

Hope this will help someone!

~Chris

Latest posts

Back