Mark V & Load Boxes (Palmer PDI-03, Torpedo Live, etc...)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianiac5150

Reaction score
I've seen a Palmer PDI-03 in at least one rig within the forum and am curious how they're being used and the results. Considering getting my hands on one for mostly home studio use, however, I have zero experience with them. Any responses would be greatly appreciated (sales solicitation included from my perspective). Thanks!

EDIT: Updated Subject

i have the pdi-09 and its fantastic......sounds dang near spot on to what you are hearing.

check out the recordings done by gonzo on the rigs and tone page....most of his stuff is also done with the pdi-09, which has the same emulation circuit as the pdi-03.

I have the later version of that box by Palmer and as far as i can tell the higher the gain the worse it sounds.

I recently started using a Torpedo Live by Two Notes and it is light years better, especially with the new cabinets they have added and the fact that you can load yournown IRs into it.

I haven't used a cabinet on stage or in a studio in as long as I can remember and the Torpedo is really great. My Palmer will be up for sale soon.

Just getting back here to do a little follow-up: last Thursday I became the proud (and highly impressed) owner of a Torpedo Live. What a great piece of gear. Quality all around, IMO.

I've asked this on their forum and thought to ask it here, as well: any issues and/or concerns with multi-watt changes while using the Torpedo Live (or any other brand) as a load box?

The TL is rated to handle up to 100w, therefore, the 90w MV is not a concern. I'm simply wondering about the wattage switching and how/if that plays into anything with this regard.

It's all likely as simply as, it works the same as when connected to a cab, however, I have zero experience with load boxes and the ease of use in connecting Two Notes' Torpedo Live with the Mark V and great tones I'm getting has me second-guessing everything. So far I'm in tone heaven waiting for the devil to show his face.

Back