Preamp tube suggestions for RKII V2 running 4-6L6 & 2- EL84

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingtiger

Reaction score
I like my tones now, but have several different 12AX7 & 5751s, including some older Mullard, RCA, Phillips, JAN etc. & think I might get some even nicer tones. If you have any suggestions, if only as a starting point, I’d appreciate you sharing them. I have a tendency toward a nice bright bite in the high end, but have an open mind & ears.

Thanks-in-Advance,
Tony

In my triple I am loving the current combo I have. Tungsol gold pin in v1, JJ high gain tested in v2, Ruby 7025SS (silver plate chinese) in v3, Mesa Chinese gray plate in v4 and a JAN GE 12AT7 in v5. Before anyone asks, YES, I can hear a difference between the gold pin and regular tungsol and between the silver and gray plate chinese tubes. big differences in my rig anyways. YMMV. I can get anything from liquid lead tones on the orange channel to blistering riffage on the red channel.

all except for my phase inverter. It is a NOS JAN GE military tube. Really helps with clarity at the expense of having to run the master just a smidge higher than with a 12ax7.

Latest posts

Back