Want a versatile Mesa head in the stable--which one?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Mesa head for me?

• Heartbreaker head

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Maverick head

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F Series head (which?)

• DC Series head (which?)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • 50 Caliber or Studio head

• Tremoverb head

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Express 5:25 head

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Express 5:50 head

• get a head cab for the Lonestar combo I already have

• save up a few more bucks and get a Mark IV

• Total voters

jpage

Reaction score
I'm mainly a Marshall guy--have those bases covered pretty much and I'm looking to add another Mesa.

I have a Lonestar classic 1x12 that I like but I really hate combo amps (weight, unwieldy, prone to vibration damage/noise, stuck with on board speaker rather than different cab options, I'm 6'6" and hate bending over to read something that's almost on the floor). Plus, I find the dirt to be a little on the dark side and lacking clarity.

Mainly interested in a cool mid-gain low fi vibe (Stones, Black Keys, Black Crowes). Not interested in anything lacking punch or that has to sound modern. Sustain is OK, fizzy gain is not. Size/weight is not that important--I'd love a little lunchbox but I've tried both the TA-15 and the Mini Rec and to my ears they both sounded as small as their footprint. Needs to have at least "good" cleans on tap. Under $750 or so used.

I know this is the "Modern" side but I'm also looking at Calibers, Studios, Heartbreakers and Mavericks as well.

I voted for the Heartbreaker and the DC series. YOu mentioned the stones, who often used Mark I's live. The Heartbreaker is supposedly a reissue of the Mark I, if memory serves. I think that the new head cab option for your Lone Star would be a good idea though. Try running the combo into a cabinet without the built in speaker running at the same time. That should give you a good idea if you would like the lone star as a head.

PS, I also voted for the Heartbreaker over at TGP

Latest posts

Back