Mark IV + Marshall power amp EL34 ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZAK

Reaction score
HI all !

I plan to record my first album with my MARK IV-A combo, A Dual Rectifier revG, mesa recto cab, marshall cab.
The problem is i need a more "rock'n'roll' sound than metal for 2 songs.
I want to blend Boogie with Marshall dynamic. I made some research and it seems to be good to use my MARK IV with a power amp like 9005 Marshall or EL34 50/50 or 100/100.

Do you try this mix ? Is it working ? what's the difference ?

Thanks! :D

I have not had any experience using my Mark IV through a power amp. I do however use EL34s in the outer slots and love it. I run 99% of the time in 'class A'. The EL34s are so nice and responsive for what we do that I very rarely use simul-class.

I find it easier to control breakup with the EL34s. I don't have quite as much headroom as I do in simul-class, but, given that the EL34s are 50% of the mix in simul-class, the loss in headroom is not all that noticable.

Thanks for your answer; someone for comparing Mark IV EL34 and Mark IV+Marshall EL34 PA ?? :D

I slave a simulclass IIC+ (6L6 & el34) into the el34 power section of my 100 watt chupacabra (marshall jmp copy) to actually get MORE crunch and low end thump while dipping out some of the mid frequencies (I typically need to bring my 750 slider back up a bit to compensate). The result is just thunderous and punishing. Best metal tone I've ever gotten, and I highly recommend this setup.

However, if the mission is a rock n roll tone, I think the mark 4 does a better job on its own.

I do use marshall cabs... loaded with V30s. One 4x12 for each amp, but I generally set the slave level knob so that the chupacabra's cab somewhat overpowers the mark 2's.

I used my old MarkIV into a JMC900, it was great. Now I have a Quad preamp into a Marshall 9100 and it's even better! For me, Mesa preamp into Marshall poweramp is the ultimate setup. I highly recommend it!

As for cabs, I think a greenback loaded Marshall cab would be an excellent option.

It will give you more 'Marshall mids'.

I really recommend a cab with greenback (G12M) speakers - this will give you lots of classic rock mids. If you can get a Marshall PA too, even better.

Latest posts

Back