Gibson S G 61' reissue - Review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reynirs

Reaction score
Just got an "used" 61' reissue of the legendary Gibson SG! The guitar was hardly used and never left the living room, not a scratch in sight and I bought for almost half of the price! Also had the guy re-wired the volume pots (something with the K's or some electrical stuff that I don't understand), so now it is wired like the old 1960 SG's, a little brigther.
I find the neck to be one of the most comfortable necks that I have ever played and unbeliveable access to the highest frets! The 57 classic humbuckers where a suprise to me and sounded really great, but that could also be the volume mod that the previous owner did that made them sound so good to my ear. I can funk, blues, jazz, pop and manly rock out! on this guitar and would not be surprised if this would be my go-to-guitar, along with my standard strat, for the next years!

I really want to hear what others have to say about this fantastic guitar!

ps. was also wondering if I could cloil split these pickups and how it would sound?

Have one, play it, rock it, love it. Nuff' said these guitars kick spades of ***. Kind of neck heavy but that's a common SG thing and the guitar is so light it's like holding nothing (compared to my 5kg Yamaha SG2000 and maple Explorer) I don't even know why some folks are bothered by that so much. Yeah '57 Classics rule, love them in an LP Trad too.

I think it's discontinued as of this year though. Even more glad I have one :D

Jackie said:
Have one, play it, rock it, love it. Nuff' said these guitars kick spades of ***. Kind of neck heavy but that's a common SG thing and the guitar is so light it's like holding nothing (compared to my 5kg Yamaha SG2000 and maple Explorer) I don't even know why some folks are bothered by that so much. Yeah '57 Classics rule, love them in an LP Trad too.

I think it's discontinued as of this year though. Even more glad I have one :D
I was wondering if the 61 reissues had the 50,s neck or the 60,s thinline neck.If any of you guys know post the info if you get a chance.Congrats on the new guitar,man.Good luck and have fun.Happy New Year.

It's the thin 60's neck I believe (says so on the site). It was also much thinner than the SG Standard I A/B'd just before buying my '61 Reissue.

Jackie said:
It's the thin 60's neck I believe (says so on the site). It was also much thinner than the SG Standard I A/B'd just before buying my '61 Reissue.

I have an original '63 Les Paul/SG junior and the neck is HUGE on it. I also played an original '61 LP/SG in a shop a few years ago and that also had a big fat neck.

It seems strange that Gibson reissued the guitar without reissuing the original neck sizes? Gibson's necks started getting skinny around 65/66 if irc. By the end of the 60's and until around '73 they made super skinny necks that were almost too narrow to play on certain models. I have a 69 Gibson Dove acoustic that's crazy thin.

Latest posts

Back