need advice Mark IIb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TattooU

Reaction score
any suggestions what tubes would work best in Mark IIb combo. No EQ & no reverb.
I heard these amps originally had Svetlanas (or similar).. So is it worth of getting Svetlanas or should I go easier and cheaper way with Mesa 440 STR's? JJ 6L6's are also available at my local store.

and preamp, what about 4xJJ ECC83 S?

I've only had Fender amps before and I'm used to set bias by myself. I just don't get this Mesa Boogie/bias thing. Should I just stick any new 6L6's in and be happy?

I'll be delighted with any info. I tried to search old messages and googled also but not with good results :idea:

Since Mesa Boogies are "fixed bias" amps, any middle rated tube will do. You should buy from a reputable tube place who is knowledgeable to sell you those. I have always done well with tubedepot.com. As far as which tubes, that's a preference of taste. For the past few years I have been using SED =C= tubes (as far as power tubes) and have been very happy. Not as compressed or fizzy as Mesa's tubes, which I believe are re-labeled JJ's (the 6L6's).

Good luck.

I'd rather not go with 4x ECC83S JJ. I suggest you to mix brand for maximum balance between frequencies. Using only one brand tend to cumulate more of their bad qualities than the good.
What brand now.... everyone has his perfect combination, but you can often read about Tungsol in V1, JJ in V2, a chinese brand in V3... I like a new Mullard in the PI slot, or EH for clarity and brighness, and a long plate tube like new Mullard, old RCA in V1, I found them more dynamic.

I think I go with Groove Tube power tubes (rating #4 to #7 I presume), 'cause i liked them in my Fender.

and for preamp, I'm gonna try this, if there's no other suggestions.

V1 Tungsol
V2 JJ
V3 some chinese
V4 ?? is this the one that pulls power tubes?

Crane's post is right on regarding preamp tubes. Mix to personal taste.

Regarding being used to biasing your Fender, exactly. Bias mod kits are available online for your amp. The mod is doable as well as reversible.

Mine originally came with Sylvania STR-387 power tubes, and a complement of GE 12AX7s and 7025s. There was also a 12AT7 which was in V3, but should have been in V4, at least according to the tube diagram in the manual.

I tried Mesa branded power tubes, and they sounded a bit harsh., Went back to Sylvanias.

Latest posts

Back