AM I NUTS??!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harem_theater

Reaction score
I have a Mesa Roadster head which i run in 4CM with a Line 6 PodHD500 as i love Line6's effects and i use it to control my amp via MIDI.

After updating to the latest software, L6 included a new set of SLO models.

Here's the kicker.....Until now, i've been pretty happy with headphone tones from the Pod's modelling but the preamps running irento the backend of either my Roadster or Egnater TOL100 left me less than mildly satisfied. (to be expected when comparing to a real Rectifier)

But, since the update and using these new SLO models, i have 100% nailed my roadster's tones and feel.........in the Pod!!!! Both through headphones and running into the back of my amp.

considering selling an amp that is now obsolete.

I do understand the notion of having the real deal available as opposed to having just a digital simulation.
what do you think?

You're nuts!
Just kiddin'. I found hard to believe you achieved to recriate exactly the tone of the real thing with your digital gear cause companies like Line6 or Fractal have tried that all their entire life. But if you think is close enuff and want the extra cash just go for it!

It's really all about what works for you. If the HD500 works for you, so be it. I would wait a bit before you sell your amp to make sure it is not a "honeymoon stage" thing.

I have tried alot of different amp modelers and although some of them sound really good, I just never could cop that tube amp "feel" from any of them. I would play them for a few months then end up back with my tube head for the feel and dynamics, YMMV.

Dom

In my poor little country is situation like this:

Those, who can't afford REAL THING are buying WANNABE SIMULATION.
Those who can afford REAL THING are leaving SIMULATION to WANNABEs.

I think simulations are OK if you are not a "sound geek."

Hello harem_theater,

First time I tried my Pod HD500 configured as a PRE and running into the return of my reborn dual, I was shocked at how close I could get to the real thing - the only difference was a subtle (very subtle indeed) loss of dynamic range and top end. I then tried the same setup but with my Marshall JVM as a power amp (same cab) and the results were totally different and dissapointing: the DR power amp has a major role in determining its sonic signature. My tests were performed by alternating inputs with EH Switchblade Passive Channel Selector.

You may also consider that your comparison is based on your experience with the 4cm method (a stellar application of the HD500 IMO) so your tone "reference" might include the very subtle differences in dynamic range and freq. response.

I also noticed that the HD500 in 4cm kind of bypassed (with no models added, justs acting as a A/D, D/A converter) is extremely close to the standard configuration (your guitar straight into the Recto) but looses accuracy as you add models, same as a pedal/rack effects based setup.

I would not sell your precious Recto if I were you, just add the convenience of the POD for gigs where bringing the whole setup may not be practical. In my experience, the HD500 as a midi foot controller and for line-level, rack-type effects in the recto´s loop performs amazingly and is very transparent.

Best :D ,
Marcelo

As far as people that use modellers being wannabes ... grow up, I really hope you were joking.

I once tried an Axe FX. With some dialling in and running through a 3-way FR rig, I was able to handle some very sophisticated, musical and usable tones. Whether or not it "recreated" the feel of a tube amp is the great debate. It certainly "emulated" the dynamics, but I didn't get the air pushing the back of my legs thump that I am used to.

The reason I chose not to continue down that path is the fact that I realized in 3 years, the axe-fx would be worth 300, where my tube amp might actually appreciate. Also, just like gaming computers, I would constantly be on the upgrade path... not that I don't suffer severe GAS as it is!

The fact that today's computers are powerful enough to convince a fair number of tube amp users (pros and "wannabes" alike) is absolutely astounding. Even with conservative estimates, the effect of Moore's law on the music industry is quite profound. I have a very strong suspicion that tube amps will eventually be a rarity.

Those of us that don't bother to experiment with new technology will be left behind just like in every other industry out there.

Anyone that thinks that the POD HD500 and other similar pieces of equipment aren't usable on stage obviously haven't tried them at all. Or if they have, they haven't given it a fair shake.

harem_theater said:
But, since the update and using these new SLO models, i have 100% nailed my roadster's tones and feel.........in the Pod!!!! Both through headphones and running into the back of my amp.

Plug it into another amps power amp and cab and let us know if it still sounds like a Recto.

Thanks heaps for the input folks. Definately given me a lot to think about.

Daisy, that was my first thought. "If I get rid of the roadster, can I still capture that rectifier backend which truly makes these amps so great?!"

So I plugged into the back of my Egnater TOL100, dimed the presence and density (because they're dark by nature)........and the result was that massive, roadster crunch with this Plexi-like cut. After a few tweaks I'm sure I can get 'er spot on

Back