2 CH DR Loop Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I finally tried this last night. I got a spare jack, shorted the tip to ground and plugged it into the return socket. I then set the loop to external switch and I couldn't really hear much difference in volume between loop on and off, no matter what position on the mix knob.

94Tremoverb, do I have to have something plugged into the loop send socket as well for this work (another spare jack or just a cable dangling like the F series mod for a 2nd master volume)? Just wondering if the effects loop uses switching sockets or something?

Okay friends, I finally have read all I can regarding this mod and I was ready last night to get it done. I opened my 2Ch up and took a ton of before pictures and was warming up my iron. I noticed the green wire also runs from the left mix lug to the send pot. Does anyone know if I keep that connected and just remove the green wire from the mix pot? Unfortunately, my iron didn't warm up, now need a new one and I was unable to complete the mod. If anyone could help with the green wire question I would be grateful. My amp is the 2CH triple recto made in January of 1998.

I will be taking my amp to a friend later today and finish/test this mod out! Hopefully, my G-Major and I will be happy and I can post pics on here for furture referrence of others!

PS thanks for this post, not only do we get to play one of the best amps made, but we have many dedicated players that have put this forum together!

John
Restrayned.com

So some observations i have made with the 2ch seriel mod. The orange wire is taken off the original right lug from the mix pot, and soldered with red wire on the middle lug of the mix pot. Then the green wire comes off the left lug of the mix pot. There is a second green wire that goes from the left lug of the mix pot to the send pot. I removed that also and connected it to the first green wire and taped them up. Works great now. Just have to adjust settings a little more to get the sound and you are done. I am going to all boogie and confirm Monday.

I have just gotten my hands on a 2ch triple last week and was thinking about this mod as well. Since you have a 2ch triple as well SilverBayJ, I was interested in seeing how this mod works for you.

I use the FX loop with a patch cable engaged to have a overall master volume and like the extra gain that comes with it, so would this mod be beneficial to me?

JC, Since I got the mod done last week, last night was really the only night I have been able to really crank the amp up during practice and see how things went. I was pleasantly surprised about the mod. Usually I have my orange and red channels set about 9:00 on the respective masters, with the red being slightly higher (for solos), and my loop master is usually set at 9:00 also (I know, it's get pretty loud at rehearsals). Last night after the mod, I had to turn my loop master down a bit to equal volume with my other guitarist (who also has a newer 3ch triple recto). That was a nice surprise as my amp didn't seems to work as hard to achieve it's usual volume and tone.

As far as the tone is concerned, fairly same as before, although I felt like it was slightly more crunchy than before but slightly more bright. I decreased the treble a bit and evened things out and it sounded great. The effects for me seem the same as before, but now I have control over the "volume" effects like vibrato and tremolo, since there is no longer a blend of the original signal and the fx signal at the amp (parallel loop). I do like the fact that I can control the mix of effects in my unit from patch to patch instead of a global mix at the amp. This give me much more control over each individual patch and effect I am running within my processor.

So far I am happy with the modification. If you have a digital effects unit such as the G-Major, I would probably do the mod if you need more control over your effects that are placed in your loop. It's super easy to complete and totally reversable! If you have any other questions, let me know! I also made sure to take a lot of pictures of before and after the mod for future reference, I can email them if you like...

John
Restrayned.com

Sweet :mrgreen: sounds like it would work out great for me. I was on the fence about it but now I'm interested in modding my FX loop.

Thanks again for the info and descriptions of what the mod has done for you, I'd like to take a look at the before/after pics, you can email them to me whenever you get the chance. I think its listed in my profile.

Cheers :D

94Tremoverb said:
You don't even have to move the orange wire really. If you don't, all that will happen is that the Mix knob will become a return level knob that doesn't go all the way down to zero - no big deal, you can either use it like that or leave it maxed, in which case there is no electrical difference compared to moving the wire.

*All* you really need to do is disconnect the green wire(s) from the pot.

Sorry to bring this subject back again but I do have issue with this mod. It is probably something wrong with amp but any help would be greatly appreciated.
What i did is exactly what 94Tremoverb suggested. I have disconnected green wire from pot on my TOV and when i put everything back my loop sounded very poor and there was some effects but i can hardly even hear them. I couldn't get even close to what amp really sound even with loop master all the way up (and master too). When i bypass loop, amp again has ''normal'' sound.

Thanks again if anyone has any idea.

dominionod said:
Sorry to bring this subject back again but I do have issue with this mod. It is probably something wrong with amp but any help would be greatly appreciated.
What i did is exactly what 94Tremoverb suggested. I have disconnected green wire from pot on my TOV and when i put everything back my loop sounded very poor and there was some effects but i can hardly even hear them. I couldn't get even close to what amp really sound even with loop master all the way up (and master too). When i bypass loop, amp again has ''normal'' sound.

Thanks again if anyone has any idea.
If the loop worked before with the green wire connected and now doesn't, it has to be either a broken Send or Return jack, or a failed LDR (#14), or a fault with the track of the mix pot, since these are the only four components in the 'wet' signal path. Unfortunately my money is on the LDR, which is the most common issue with Tremoverbs. If you reconnect the green wire, the signal should come back but you won't get any effects. Try this first just to rule out some other problem.

Thanks J, I will do that. When wire was connected sound through the loop was very harsh anyway.
Is this LDR that you mentioned?

2-mesaboogietremoverb3-11.jpg

Thanks again for your quick reply.

dominionod said:
Is this LDR that you mentioned?
Yes. As you can see, if you disconnect the green wire (where 0% is printed next to the Mix pot), and LDR14 is faulty, you will get no sound at all via the loop.

If you can find it and get at it on the board, try temporarily jumpering the signal side of LDR14 with a wire (the end labeled 'cell', if you can see it - or use a beep tester from the tip contact of the Send jack to find it) - if that fixes it, it's conclusively the LDR.

So I did this mod awhile back.

I have noticed my GMajor requires me to increase the "mix" (on the GMajor not Mesa) for my effects.

This was not sudden, it happened over time and I need to increase the mix to 60-70 percent on delays to hear them and it is worse on the gain channel.

So any ideas what is happening.

I did recently retube the entire amp. Maybe my preamp tube is failing.

Let me know thanks.

Latest posts

Back