Mesa's SPAX7A preamp tube

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still learning my caps...I'm thinking like the 6ps-716p series, in orange drop, they are the ones used in D- style builds with their smooth OD tones.

Okay,I see where you're coming from.In high gain circuits I guess the orange drops are good.Kind of a strange thing to say on a Boogie forum,but I'm not a big fan of high gain,I go for more vintage tone.I find the orange drops to be somewhat sterile in a Tweed circuit.I had a guy bring me a 57 Tremolux that someone had butchered.Put a PT with no 5v winding so he made a ss rect and recapped with all orange drops.Funny thing tho,he didnt change the filter caps because of their "vintage value".He didnt pay a lot for the amp and didnt want to spend a lot to get rid of the hum.I talked him into new filter caps and a 3 prong power cord.When he came for the amp,he wasnt 100% in love with it,he had some really good old tubes in it but felt it wasnt as "rich" sounding as he thought it should be.I talked him into letting me get those orange drops out of there,I used russian tubular .02's for all the coupling caps and one Mallory .1 in the PI and the difference was big.I left the orange drops in the trem circuit,no big deal there.I didnt charge him for the coupling caps and he ended up bringing me 5 more amps for filter caps and general service,couple of tubes,3 prong cords.Now I'm not trying to convince you that the orange drops arent good,I know this is all subjective.I do love my 2C+ and it is loaded with orange drops and I wouldnt think of changing that in that amp.Nothing wrong with the PIO's either,just wouldnt pay the premium most people ask,but those russian ones are well worth it at their price.Apologies to the OP for the hijack here,I guess we got carried away,Mav.

Back