Considering a Fender Vibro-King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucker44

Reaction score
I am considering buying a Fender Vibro-King. I am familiar with Tverbs, RKII and a 1990's fender blues deville. I currently use a MV which I am extemely happy with and plan on keeping until I've passed on lol. But, I would like something different but dependable to go along with my boogie. So i wonder what is Fenders best and most dependable amp. In the early 80's I seen alot of fender failures on the store floor. I have read the VibroKing is a costom shop amp and was in part designed by Zinky.
Therefore, I was wondering if you folks who own or have owned one could fill me in on their tone and reliablity. Purchasing new vs used? Older versions compared to new?

Thanks in advance.

Tucker

Tucker, I had a Vibroverb. It was broke many times, but the 3 knob reverb is exceptional. It has the capability to deliver multiple shades of distortion or tube OD.

This amp was so picky and unforgiving. If my playing was not up to snuff it pointed out all my mistakes. So if you are talented, then the 2 of you will get along.

It is very heavy, but has some really nice Transformers. Zinky did a heck of a job designing this one.

Back to the Reverb, the LSS Reverb is great like the VK reverb. It is reverb you can really use. I will add I traded the VK for a MB LSS. The LSS 5 watt Class A setting is my fav now for home playing. The VK is a loud 60 watts. The 4X10s move a lot of sound. If working pros played the VK, they sounded killer.

A 65 BF Super Reverb, covers up mistakes and makes you sound better, as well as the LSS.

VR,

Ron

Thanks Ron,
I plan on trying out one of these puppies soon. Dependablity is still a big concern and should I buy new or used. The new prices are outrageous and buying used(unless its a boogie) makes me nervous.

any other thoughts are appreciated.

thanks

rfrakes said:
Tucker, I had a Vibroverb. It was broke many times, but the 3 knob reverb is exceptional. It has the capability to deliver multiple shades of distortion or tube OD.

This amp was so picky and unforgiving. If my playing was not up to snuff it pointed out all my mistakes. So if you are talented, then the 2 of you will get along.

It is very heavy, but has some really nice Transformers. Zinky did a heck of a job designing this one.

Back to the Reverb, the LSS Reverb is great like the VK reverb. It is reverb you can really use. I will add I traded the VK for a MB LSS. The LSS 5 watt Class A setting is my fav now for home playing. The VK is a loud 60 watts. The 4X10s move a lot of sound. If working pros played the VK, they sounded killer.

A 65 BF Super Reverb, covers up mistakes and makes you sound better, as well as the LSS.

VR,

Ron

ZOMG! You owned a Vibroverb. Was it the brown tolexed one or the later blackface version. I want one of those blackfaced ones with 15" speakers...

I would buy used to capture thesavings and possibly the first or second owner got everything fixed already. In half of the early models, there were some reverb driver reliability. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CGAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tdpri.com%2Fforum%2Farchive%2Findex.php%2Ft-170034.html&ei=k4QNUOHVJdTxqAH95rClCg&usg=AFQjCNFZIsKJ0hNcG1o93lXV15ncQfGE2A&sig2=ti8lFVquNUaf6qxTEVui7g

I had 1 of the 6V6 ones so it wasn't an issue for me. There is a large group of posts on: http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=215981&lastpost=2012-07-1806:15:48

If you have the time, read thru all these posts as there ias a wealth of knowledge. I had the brown tolex. There were Red ones, snakeskin, other colors. Mine had 4X10s. I had plugged an additional 15 speaker cab into and played for a couple of hours as it sounded so good cranked. The 15 ate up some of the loudness.

Pic attack is awsome.

Thanks very much Ron, This info will definitly help in my research. I plan on trying one out soon, it sounds like its my kind of amp. I'll probably try out new but buy used with a return policy.
Thanks again, i'm going to check out the links.

Tucker

Tucker, Did you get the Vibro-King? Just curious if you like it?

Ron

No I havn't Ron. I will be taking some vacation days at the end of this month and plan a trip to play a VK and try out the Fender Twin(which is not made any more) and maybe the machete. I'll post my thought afterwards.

take care,
Mark

The Machete seems like a very interesting amp, although it is a bit odd that Fender would put a digital Reverb in it. All the reviews say it's great though, and videos I've seen were awesome.

i still remember back in '02 when my not so gear-savvy singer bought a dano twelve string at GC and he demo'd it through a vibro-king. he got it home and put it through his marshall jcm 800 combo, looked at me and said- wow, this sounded MUCH better at the store for some reason. then i gave him the scoop. KILLER amp. i think bruce zinky's best work came during his fender tenure

Tucker, mine was light tan tolex and light brown grill cloth. It was one of Zinky's greatest and I hope he has many more coming from Supro.

It was based on the Bassman circuit.

No I haven't made it to a dealer that has one yet. I may get to try one around Christmas. Also, I gotta take care of my daughter's Christmas first. I'll probably order a used one from guitar center considering their 30 day return policy.
In the mean time my Mark V is taking care of my gig and rehearsal needs. I'll post here when I finally get one.

Take Care

I'm servicing a '68 Fender blackline Super Reverb. It has the blackface circuit. Redoing the filter caps, cathode bypass caps, power tube socket resistors, retubing with VOS tubes, and reconing a couple speakers that had rubs. Waiting on most of the parts to arrive. Even with the original 40 year old caps the head sounds spectacular temporarily running through a 60's Valco style cab with vintage 15" Jensen Vibranto. I will be doing a slight mod to the tremolo to get rid of the click.

I looked at the VK's on ebay, the new ones are very spendy. Saw an early blonde one that that really got my attention, the owner knew what he had and it comes with its own case. I'd take that over a new one anyday because I know I can work on it...But what works for me might not work for others.

The 68 SR is a nice sounding amp, but it and the VK were too loud for anywhere I played out. The MB LSS is just right.

Tucker44, Were you talking this Christmas? Just curious if you had a chance to play through 1 for a couple of weeks? Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

Ron

KH Guitar Freak,

I had the wheat colored tolex with the brown grill cloth and ivory knobs. It was a looker. If i remember Zinky took the Bassman circuit and tweaked it to make the VK.

I hope his company Supro is doing well.

Latest posts

Back