G-System?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys again for all of your help!
I have several presets programmed in for some of our songs.
I had some noise issues, so I ended up getting an Ebtech HE-2 & a Hosa TRS 8 cable snake (couldn't find a 4 cable snake).

One thing I noticed though, is that my amp sounds completely different with the 4 cable method.
I do not like what it does to the clean channel! The amp seems to loose all of it's sparkle and it breaks up faster.
Also, the lead channel sounds more grainy and not nearly as crunchy with the 4CM.

Maybe the levels need adjusting a little more. They are slightly different from the White Pages settings. Loop level is lower and the headroom is at 6db.

I think I will give my ears a rest tonight and try it again tomorrow after work.
I am leaning toward running my guitar straight into the amp and only using the G in the loop. That might be the ticket for getting the amp's tone back to where it should be.

I am leaning toward running my guitar straight into the amp and only using the G in the loop. That might be the ticket for getting the amp's tone back to where it should be.

That is the key imo. You lose allot of chime using the 4 cable method with the G system. Overdrives dont sound very good in the loops compaired to the front end either.
The chorus and delays sound great in the loop and those are the effects I use the most. I tweaked every possible way to get my amp to sound like its plugged straight in and after living in denial for a while .... I chose to plug straight in!

I'm much happier with a G-Major 2 in the loop, and GCP.

I really liked the G-System, but it was just way too much for what I need.
The best quote I read about it was, "At first I really liked the G-Sys. Then, I didn't."
Pretty much sums it up for me!

I have been following this thread since the G is supposed to be very good and I would like a good effects unit.

So Monsta, in the end, is it worth it? To get a good verb, chorus, delay, comp, is it better than a few really trusty old pedals and an RJM amp gizmo type setup?

I really like the delays on TC gear.
Almost exactly a year ago, I had a G-Major 2 and GCP setup.
I thought I wanted a more simple setup, so I sold it and bought a few decent (and a few expensive pedals).
Over the course of the last year, I found myself going for more and more TC pedals.
Also over the course of the last year, my band actually started heading in a direction and becoming extremely creative! Now that we have a singer, and I'm not trying to sing, I have realized that it would be incredible to have the power to completely change my amp's tone and the sounds I'm making with the push of one button, not a bunch of buttons.

I tried the G-System because it was pretty cheap used. $700 was a great deal I thought.
I really liked the FX, and the thought of having multiple FX in front of the amp as well as in the loop was a great idea.
The channel switching was just icing on the cake!

I quickly realized though that, even with Laird's White Papers, there was no way I was going to have the same tones if I used the 4 Cable Method. It just wasn't there. Plus....I had a lot of noise issues. Not just hum on the lead channel, but hiss and white noise as well.
I tried a TRS balanced snake and an Ebtech Hum Eliminator. This really helped, but not completely. My amp still had issues with noise and the amp just had no sparkle. I was using my DC-5 at the time, which sounded really great with nothing but a wah and tuner in front of it.
When I plugged the G into just the loop, all of my noise and tone issues went away.
The DC-5 just did not like anything but regular pedals in front of it. I had been using a Rocktron Patchmate Floor with my pedals, but it had it's own set of issues with noise and tone suckage!

If I used super short cables, the problem still existed when I ran the 4CM. The noise was considerably less when I just used the G in the loop and had it do my channel switching too. This meant only 3 cables going to the amp from the G.
The switching relays were super slow too. The added 20' of cable length probably contributed to this as well, but I had to search for the fastest relay out of the 4 available and use that for my channel switching.

The real kicker was that the Loop on the DC-5 was clipping at super low volumes. I had the clean Master set at about 1.5 and it was still clipping!
With all of the menus and the clipping, and the noise, and the slow switching, I just decided to sell it.

The G-Major 2 doesn't have all of the FX or the functionality of the G-Sys, but it's dead quiet, the relays are a bit faster (still slow though), much easier to program and hookup, and there are Input & Output knobs on the front.
Plus....If I want FX in front of the amp, I can always pickup a G-Major 1 for under $200 to use with it.
I miss the tuner being on the footswitch, but that's about it.

I do need to get a GCX now though to be able to ad pedals into different tones, but that's a different story.
Also, I picked up a Mark IVa and a Rectoverb combo since then for super great prices, so I won't have as many noise issues as I did with the DC.
Both of these amps seem to have less issues with what is placed in front of the amp.

Sorry for the rant. I think it was combination of lack of time on my part, funky amp impedance or grounding, overly complicated processor that just made me want to go in a different direction.

Sorry for the rant. I think it was combination of lack of time on my part, funky amp impedance or grounding, overly complicated processor that just made me want to go in a different direction.

Well you just talked me out of selling my G Major 2 for a G-System. Guess I better start looking on CL for a GCP.

So is the G-System as pretty and as well made in real life as the pictures appear? It looks like its made of super thick metal.

SonVolt said:

Well you just talked me out of selling my G Major 2 for a G-System. Guess I better start looking on CL for a GCP.

So is the G-System as pretty and as well made in real life as the pictures appear? It looks like its made of super thick metal.
well, my G was upstairs when the f-5 twister hit-the foot control unit got a few scratches because of so much debris falling on it-all of the buttons on the controller work(I had the "brain" in a rack, and if suffered damage because of the 5 inches of rain)-it is strong, because it was hit with everything imaginable(it was buried under wood,drywall,and twisted metal-I didn't find it for about a week...)

lesterpaul said:
SonVolt said:

well, my G was upstairs when the f-5 twister hit-the foot control unit got a few scratches because of so much debris falling on it-all of the buttons on the controller work(I had the "brain" in a rack, and if suffered damage because of the 5 inches of rain)-it is strong, because it was hit with everything imaginable(it was buried under wood,drywall,and twisted metal-I didn't find it for about a week...)

I was in Decatur at work when it came through - several houses and a BBQ joint less than a quarter mile down the road were leveled. There was a BMW sitting up-side-down in the middle of a corn field about 200 yards from where it was parked. Definitely one of the craziest days of my life. Sorry about your house and gear! I hope insurance came through in a hurry.

SonVolt said:
I was in Decatur at work when it came through - several houses and a BBQ joint less than a quarter mile down the road were leveled. There was a BMW sitting up-side-down in the middle of a corn field about 200 yards from where it was parked. Definitely one of the craziest days of my life. Sorry about your house and gear! I hope insurance came through in a hurry.

here is a pic of our "safe room"(hallway bathroom)-the gear was in the room above this one...as you can imagine, I got my stuff reliced real **** fast!!!(250 mph winds will do that)I am sure some of it ended up in 'Nooga :)
saferoom.jpg

btw,Decatur(my hometown,along with a couple of Boogie bros on this board), has never been struck by 'nader.......might be time to move back :shock:

lesterpaul said:
SonVolt said:

here is a pic of our "safe room"(hallway bathroom)-the gear was in the room above this one...as you can imagine, I got my stuff reliced real **** fast!!!(250 mph winds will do that)I am sure some of it ended up in 'Nooga :)
saferoom.jpg

btw,Decatur(my hometown,along with a couple of Boogie bros on this board), has never been struck by 'nader.......might be time to move back :shock:

Dang that's crazy! Sounds like the gear came down on top of you? Guess I need to go take photos of all my gear for insurance claim proof.

Technically I work in Trinity where the 4PMish one ripped through. Thankfully it barely missed us else literally tons of scrap metal from the steel plant's scrap yard would have been flying shrapnel all over north Alabama.

well, a lot of my equipment was never found...a couple of LPauls landed in the house...found a Strat about 30 yds from house(LPauls have that girth...!).
-take pictures of everything(cords,picks,stands,slip covers,etc...)serial numbers,paperwork...and store in a safe deposit box-my dumbass had pic all on a camera or computer IN MY HOUSE...never found that camera, and the comp was obliterated by debris
-if you ever are victimized by mother nature or a thief, have an appraisal done,otherwise ALL will be depreciated..if you have any rare or out of production gear(like a C+,for ex.), you end up on the losing end
-Iam now the offical insurance liason of the Boogie Board :)

Back