Mesa powertube color codes, are they gone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcom

Reaction score
I remember powertubes used to have these color codes for small cold/warm bias variations, Red, Yellow, Green, Gray, Blue, White. I've heard that these color codes only relates to batch numbers..

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2012/03/mesa-tube-color-codes-by-randall-smith/

Today I was told my my Mesa suplier that Mesa have stoped using these color codes. Is this true?

"... any difference between our colors would be hard to notice and not significant."
- Randall Smith

I bought a pair of 6L6's two weeks ago at guitar center. The box had the color code printed on it. The skater working there had no idea what I was talking about but was able to say epic dude about three times.

Heritage Softail said:
I bought a pair of 6L6's two weeks ago at guitar center. The box had the color code printed on it. The skater working there had no idea what I was talking about but was able to say epic dude about three times.

Were the boxes dusty like the ones I got? I bet they've been there for a while so that's why it still had the color codes.

I love the guys at GC. One of them tried to convince me that a cable made up 50% of my sound, so I guess the guitar and amp only make up the other 50%.

knotts said:
Heritage Softail said:

Were the boxes dusty like the ones I got? I bet they've been there for a while so that's why it still had the color codes.

I love the guys at GC. One of them tried to convince me that a cable made up 50% of my sound, so I guess the guitar and amp only make up the other 50%.
Epic.
I think they've still got the color thing going on but really they're just there to match across a quad I think. I know the 'reds' are supposed to clip sooner as opposed to the 'blues' but yeah, I just run whatever color matched quad I can get.

Kenny

Dude, sweet! :roll:

We don't have Guitar Center (sic :p ) in the UK but I really think I need to visit one next time I'm in the US just to appreciate what you guys have to deal with: http://www.jyuenger.com/?p=6564. "God help me, I went to Guitar Center..."

Back