RA100 head. New Amp Day. Notice hiss/static

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetdriver

Reaction score
I just got a Royal Atlantic head today. Love it, but I am getting a fair amount of hiss/static at all times regardless of channel, mode, reverb, volume etc. it isn't a steady white noise, but more like waves and crackling. Volume pedal in the loop wont quiet it eiether. Maybe a tube? Any thoughts?

The reverb can be a bit noisey at low volume, but that is not an issue at higher volume.

Does the noise stop if you turn the master all the way down ? If not then it will likely be an issue with one of the power tubes or the driver tube and your shop should be able to do a change out for you under warranty.

When mine first arrived one of the internal reverb connections had come loose. It caused some noise that was fixed when I re soldered

Hey guys. This noise happens at any volume, even with the reverb bypassed. Although, it does seem like I don't get any reverb until its up past noon, then I get fair amount.

sounds like it might be a preamp tube going bad...
After you trouble shoot it keep us posted when you fix it.
swap one tube out at a time.For power tubes MAKE SURE IT'S MATCHED!!! :)
I'm sure you already know this.
Richb

richb said:
sounds like it might be a preamp tube going bad...
After you trouble shoot it keep us posted when you fix it.
swap one tube out at a time.For power tubes MAKE SURE IT'S MATCHED!!! :)
I'm sure you already know this.
Richb

Thanks. I'll be sure to post the fix.

Stuck traveling for work. Won't get to it for another 3 weeks. Ugh! Hahaha

I'm out of town on business thru the end of the month, so I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm
sure it's a simple affair.

jetdriver said:
I'm out of town on business thru the end of the month, so I haven't gotten to it yet. I'm
Probably totally trashed. I will take it off your hands for $800 as is.

Assumer said:
jetdriver said:
Probably totally trashed. I will take it off your hands for $800 as is.

Deal! Just send me the cash first. :lol:

I can probably beat $800, I have this Nigerian thing that's about to come through huge for me, I just sent them my bank acc't number and it's a done deal.

I'm happy to report that the amp is fixed. It appears to have been a temperamental tube. I took it back to Sweetwater and they couldn't duplicate the problem. They said that is sometimes the way with brand new tubes. Once I got it back home and played it, it was still dead quiet. They gave me a spare 12AX7 just in case, but it appears that the issue has sorted itself out. Great amp!

Back