What's you favorite model/revision Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Lugo

Reaction score
I've been playing a Racto for a while that I love, I believe it's a rev G 2 channel Dual. I heard a clip the other day of a 2 channel Rev F and thought it sounded insane, also heard a triple Rev G that I really liked and pre 500 that I thought was nasally. Which model/rev do you guys like most for modern rock?

So far even though I liked all the revisons of the 2 channel rectos, I like the Pre 500 Rev C the best for metal, followed by my modded Triple. My Triple stock would really work for a modern rock sound though.

I think it's the more aggressive sounds from the Rev C that win me over.

JCDenton6 said:
So far even though I liked all the revisons of the 2 channel rectos, I like the Pre 500 Rev C the best for metal, followed by my modded Triple. My Triple stock would really work for a modern rock sound though.

I think it's the more aggressive sounds from the Rev C that win me over.

What do you think about this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFB3JsYMiw&feature=g-user-c

I don't really do intense metal, mostly modern heavy rock ala Puddle Of Mudd, Alterbridge, AIC etc...

Ah Lasse's clip, the Rev F is a bit more open, aggressive and tighter, but not overbearing like the earlier revisions can be. (although I dig that about them)
I dig the sound of his Rev F recto.

JCDenton6 said:
Ah Lasse's clip, the Rev F is a bit more open, aggressive and tighter, but not overbearing like the earlier revisions can be. (although I dig that about them)
I dig the sound of his Rev F recto.

Man thanks for taking the time to help me out. One question; is the main difference between a dual and triple more gain? Is there a tone or voicing difference?

JCDenton6 said:
No problem! :)
The tone is the same but the Triple is tighter due to the extra 50 watts of headroom.

It seems like a lot of guys record with triples but every time I've played triples they sounded fizzy to me. But I think I've only ever player the newer 3 channel triples. You have a 2 channel triple rev G that you modded to an F? You like it better as an F?

It was modded to a Rev D, but I worked on it further last night and think it's really close to being a "C".
I used to own a 3 channel dual but I played on the Triple I own now and thought it was way better, way less fizz than the 3 ch models. Warmer, More open and organic sounding

I sold the 3 ch dual and picked up the 2 ch triple to replace it. I do like the stock rev G sound but I wanted to experiment with this head a bit tonewise, I like how it sounds now though :)

JCDenton6 said:
It was modded to a Rev D, but I worked on it further last night and think it's really close to being a "C".
I used to own a 3 channel dual but I played on the Triple I own now and thought it was way better, way less fizz than the 3 ch models. Warmer, More open and organic sounding

I sold the 3 ch dual and picked up the 2 ch triple to replace it. I do like the stock rev G sound but I wanted to experiment with this head a bit tonewise, I like how it sounds now though :)

Thanks for the help. I've always been a Marshall guy but have really gotten into rectos lately and have gotten better at recording them.

James, welcome to the board! I've seen a lot of your videos and appreciated the amp showdown you did a few years ago. That was insane!

If you have any questions about rectos as you dig deeper into this, let me know as I have more information than any sane person cares to know.

Elpelotero said:
James, welcome to the board! I've seen a lot of your videos and appreciated the amp showdown you did a few years ago. That was insane!

If you have any questions about rectos as you dig deeper into this, let me know as I have more information than any sane person cares to know.

Thanks man. You do seem to have a thing for Rectos...lol Would it behoove me to ad a 2nd one to the Racto I already have? Do you think a Dual rev F silver face would be a good 2nd Recto?

James Lugo said:
I've been playing a Racto for a while that I love, I believe it's a rev G 2 channel Dual. I heard a clip the other day of a 2 channel Rev F and thought it sounded insane, also heard a triple Rev G that I really liked and pre 500 that I thought was nasally. Which model/rev do you guys like most for modern rock?

Roadster.

I have a Rev F, owned a rack mount, and have played through a few others and I prefer the Roadster.

For me the difference is the fullness. The rev F is brighter, tighter and more agressive than my Roadster but it's response is also flatter with less sag, giving it a lack of depth relative to the later Rectifiers. Additionally, when playing rock I don't always want to be going balls out so the lack of any mid gain option leaves me feeling like my hands are tied, particularly when one of the amp's two extremes (the clean channel) isn't exactly anything to write home about and any attempt to use the FX loop sucks the life right out of it.

That said, I've A/B'd the two and found I can thin the Roadster out to achieve the rev F sound but I can't thicken the rev F to achieve the Roadster sound... Which when i consider all of the above makes the choice a no-brainer for me.

Reborn.

I love my Rev F but it is simply not flexible enough for my needs. 3 channels, rectifier tracking, multiwatt, improved raw mode, tighter and brighter tone. It's an easy decision!

Been messing around with the Racto today and getting some great sounds, changing some settings and mic placement.

Does anyone know what year and rev it is: R-004246?

photo-19.jpg

James Lugo said:
Does anyone know what year and rev it is: R-004246?
It will be a '94 Rev G, since my Tremoverb is R-0039-something and it's May '94. The Tremoverb came after the Rev G.

The answer to the original question is Tremoverb, of course ;). Kind of "Rev H", although it was never given a Rev letter.

Thanks for all the help guys, I know I'm battery everyone with questions.

I'm looking at 3 different 2 channel triples, 2 have one single knob on the front to the left of the main knobs, next to the Logo. And 1 has 2 knobs vertical between the main knobs and the logo...??? Is one superior to another?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Triple-Rectifier-Guitar-Amp-Head/271003554516?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=017&category=10171&cmd=ViewItem#ht_500wt_1204
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120934156846&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_1204
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280904828556&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_497wt_1812

The one with two knobs,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...017&category=10171&cmd=ViewItem#ht_500wt_1204

That is a picture of a Single Recto, not a Triple.

Also, in the "Item Specifics" section the Model is listed as a 2-channel, but in the "Detailed Item Info" section the seller states:
"With three foot-switchable channels, this Mesa Boogie guitar amplifier allows easy switching of the channels without hampering your performance. This noisy guitar amp head can also deliver that extra scream you desire with its solo button/channel"

That is the description of a modern 3-channel Solo head. The seller also states the amp is "noisy"

Dom

domct203 said:
The one with two knobs,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie...017&category=10171&cmd=ViewItem#ht_500wt_1204

That is a picture of a Single Recto, not a Triple.

Also, in the "Item Specifics" section the Model is listed as a 2-channel, but in the "Detailed Item Info" section the seller states:
"With three foot-switchable channels, this Mesa Boogie guitar amplifier allows easy switching of the channels without hampering your performance. This noisy guitar amp head can also deliver that extra scream you desire with its solo button/channel"

That is the description of a modern 3-channel Solo head. The seller also states the amp is "noisy"

Dom

Wow good eye. THANKS!!!!!!

If you have a Rackto, you can get in the ballpark of the earlier revisions with a good overdrive pedal. Honestly the biggest difference comes down to tightness and clarity. For a bigger difference, as someone suggested earlier, go for a Rectifier made in the last decade (roadster, road king, "reborn" rectifier, etc.).

If you're patient and have a good eye, you can spot a Revision C, D, or E for around $1000. As hyped as these amps are, they don't sell for as much money as some other vintage pieces.

After a weekend of listening to a ton of Rectifiers I decided on a Rev G Triple. I just dumped some gear and got one. Should be here this week. I really feel that for what I'm doing at the studio and my taste in tone that the Rev G is the ticket. I still have the Rev G Racto which has new tubes coming in the morning. It does seem like there's a pretty big difference between them. And my main need is not versatility, it's massive rhythm tone. And that 150 watts just is so over the top, it drives me crazy. I have a huge iso tent at my studio with Mesa and Bogner cabs so I can play as loud as I want. Anyway, I really appreciate all the help I got from you guy, this is a great forum. So now with a Dual and Triple and a Recto cab I feel like a part of the community...lol

Thanks guys, I head out of town for 10 days but when I get back I will do some tracking with both and post some clips.

James

Back