NGD! NAD! Traded all of my Gibsons for 2 PRSi + a DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendo

Reaction score
As the title states. I traded all of my Gibsons LP Standard, SG Reissue, ES335 for a 2010 Cu24 25th, and a 2004 Std 24 Gloss, and a MINT Mesa DC-3 + all new tubes. May seem nuts, but there is a method to the madness. All Gibsons were purchased used, so I actually broke even on the whole trade. I got the ES real cheap.

I am just so sick of Gibson and their complete lack of quality control. Henry can keep riding the name and shipping garbage. I just tried to purchase a new 2012 LP Std, and after receiving and returning 5 due to unacceptable flaws, I have decided to dump Gibson all together. They have now joined my Apple/Sony list of companies whose products I will not purchase.

Only reason I waited so long to pull the trigger on the PRSi is the Cost. But, the price is MORE than worth it. I will never sweat another PRS purchase. EVERY one I played was flawless. Perfect.

The DC3 will make a great practice and small gig amp. Love it's tone and flexibility. Reverb is nice and full IMHO.

The Standard is all mahogany with VB and an HFS, It sounds darker with more drive and growl. I like this one the most.

The Custom is a maple top with 57/08s. It sounds like a 57 classic equipped Gibson. Brighter with more bite. I specifically selected these for the differences in tone each one made. Neither lack any girth.

Special thanks to Vic at Flores Music for dealing with my crap. 57/08 FTW!

P6052655.jpg

P6052658.jpg

P6052629.jpg

P6052631.jpg

P6052667.jpg

P6052636.jpg

P6052640.jpg

P6052652.jpg

P6052685.jpg

P6052673.jpg

P6052677.jpg

P6052679.jpg

Chris

NICE! That is a good call to me. Can't go wrong with those PRSi. I really like that anniversary model. And the amp looks nice too! Rock on. However, I love apple products, and my Sony tv and stereo head unit are holding up well...so.....can't support you there....lol.

-AJH

Nice score. I'm looking to do something similar. Gibson is now using laminated fret boards on their Les Paul Customs and jacking up the price. I just wish ESP would build LPC copies that are worth playing.

Can't say any of my 8 Gibson les pauls have done me wrong, but my PRS is nice, too. To each his own. If you're happy that's all you need.

Great deal! I personally prefer the 22-fret PRSs, but those are some very nice-looking guitars...

DC-3s punch so far above their weight it's almost funny. The only thing that lets them down a bit is the stock speaker, if it's the Vintage Black Shadow (Eminence made) - too midrangy. Replace it with a Mesa/Celestion C90 and the amp will sound even bigger and more flexible - cleaner, deeper cleans and heavier distortion, with more range from the GEQ.

If it matters I like Apple, but will never buy another Sony anything.

:)

Thanks for the comments! I knew some would agree, some would not. Most have. I love these PRSi. They play amazing. Great tone. Top notch finish.

But, what I am most happy with is the DC-3. This thing just fucking rocks. Plain and simple. I've had an F-30 combo, and an Express 5:25. IMHO, they were not good replacements for the DC's.

I love your wall of Mesa and those PRS guitars look awesome.

When I was shopping for my #1 axe I went with a Les Paul over a Singlecut because it just sounded rounder, beefier, and it roared like crazy. Granted, that 2002 is a very different axe than what Gibson is pumping out now. I have elected to hold on to my Lester but I don't think I'll be buying another one. Sadly, even back in 2002 the finish on my guitar had orange peel around the neck pocket and the electronics weren't even working correctly. I just knew it was a keeper guitar anyhow so I went with it. Don't think I'd ever do that again though. I've been really into Godin guitars lately and they're really affordable here in Canada, ESPECIALLY when purchased used.

I thought the Nomad amps replaced the DC series. As I understood it, the F series and the Express were replacements for the Subway Rocket amps.

Very nice score bendo!!! That 25th PRS looks like it could play itself....very nice indeed. I completely understand about your Gibson issues. Even though I'm quite partial to them, I probably won't get another any newer than my '98. The new ones just done feel or sound right to me. You are gonna be really happy w/ the PRS and DC combination. I use an upgraded SE with my little DC-2 and it's like they were made for each other. The sound and dynamics are just so amazing...I literally can (and DO!) spend hours playing that rig. I'm sure yours is going to be even better.

Enjoy!!! :mrgreen:

Yes those are very nice indeed although I wouldn't go flaming Gibson too loud. There are plenty of here (and elsewhere) that love them. I'm one of those. But congratulations none-the-less. Hope they serve you well and offer you what you seek.
P.S. Love my Mac too.

Scott Rolf said:
Yes those are very nice indeed although I wouldn't go flaming Gibson too loud. There are plenty of here (and elsewhere) that love them. I'm one of those. But congratulations none-the-less. Hope they serve you well and offer you what you seek.
P.S. Love my Mac too.

Gibson's DESIGNS are awesome but the construction / quality has been suffering a lot lately. I think this corner cutting is what people are complaining about. Consider that a $3,000 instrument had 'orange peel' in the nitro finish around the neck pocket. Don't you think that's inexcusable on an instrument at that price point?

YellowJacket said:
Scott Rolf said:
P.S. Love my Mac too.

Gibson's DESIGNS are awesome but the construction / quality has been suffering a lot lately. I think this corner cutting is what people are complaining about. Consider that a $3,000 instrument had 'orange peel' in the nitro finish around the neck pocket. Don't you think that's inexcusable on an instrument at that price point?

I can only speak for the two custom shop LP's I own and they are every bit what I would expect in a guitar at that price point and heritage. Although I don't make it a point to closely examine every Gibson I come in eye-shot of (and why would I) I'm sure not every unit is perfect. Nor is PRS. Take a look at the OP's photo where the neck heel in the rear meets the body. All I'm saying is NO manufacturer of ANY product is perfect unit-to-unit. They are built by humans and therefor subject to human error. No big deal. Wood stringed instruments are more like furniture and less like plastic injection molded toys. The bottom line is that there was a generalization made about a particular brand. It's completely fine to blow your own horn and show off your proud purchase but not at the expense of others.

Ya Gibson's custom shop does great work; shame it couldn't be said for the production line stuff as well. The point is that Gibson is more hit and miss than PRS is, at least last I checked this was the case. I think that beyond human error, there is a quality control issue here and no matter how much one happens to like a certain brand --because of heritage / design, whatever--, if we are going to come up with an unbiased assessment of a company's work, their track record needs to be examined. The fact of the matter is that there is cost cutting going on and it does affect the quality of the product.

It's like Marshall vs Mesa. Yes, some of Mesa's amps have problems but overall they are more reliable and better built than modern Marshalls.

On that note, I played a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. My Standard felt like an EPIPHONE compared to it. If I could justify spending $6,000+ on a hunk of wood I might be tempted.

YellowJacket said:
Ya Gibson's custom shop does great work; shame it couldn't be said for the production line stuff as well. The point is that Gibson is more hit and miss than PRS is, at least last I checked this was the case. I think that beyond human error, there is a quality control issue here and no matter how much one happens to like a certain brand --because of heritage / design, whatever--, if we are going to come up with an unbiased assessment of a company's work, their track record needs to be examined. The fact of the matter is that there is cost cutting going on and it does affect the quality of the product.

It's like Marshall vs Mesa. Yes, some of Mesa's amps have problems but overall they are more reliable and better built than modern Marshalls.

On that note, I played a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. My Standard felt like an EPIPHONE compared to it. If I could justify spending $6,000+ on a hunk of wood I might be tempted.

True. Point taken. I'm very fortunate that since I purchased mine in 2005 I was able to secure my R7 Gold Top Standard for only $2,695.00 and my '57 LP Junior (TV Yellow) reissue for just $1,895.00. Since then they have soared in price. Good for me but not so good for new buyers. Having said that, I'm sure that I would also have a problem spending today's market price. At any rate, as long as you're happy with what you have then that's really all that matters. It's all good.....

Dude, I don't care what anybody says...that was a deal and a half! That PRS's are beautiful, and the DC-3 is...well...freaking jamawesome!

Great score! Beautiful guitars and a sweet as hell amp. You should go post your story over at prsforums.com

I was browsing this forum on my phone from my recliner, but those are so awesome, I had my get lazy Saturday morning butt up out of the chair and come check it out on my computer!! LOL! I love PRS. Their quality is superb. If you want to see why their quality is so good, even though they are made from wood and built by human beings, check out their YouTube series: PRS Shop In Detail

http://prsguitars.com/detail/

Back