Noticed an extra ceramic cap after a tech job.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCDenton6

Reaction score
I remember when I first got my got my triple last summer, it worked fine for a week then most of the LDR's went south and I had to take it to a tech.
I had taken before and after shots just in case something went wrong while the amp was at the tech.

I had just noticed that there was an extra ceramic cap jumped to a resistor between the two ceramic caps below C24 while I was modding my amp a short time ago:

Before shot:

After shot: (a wire is blocking the view)

Anyone have any ideas about this?

lol :mrgreen:
I think it might have bumped the presence/high end up a little bit, I remember the amp being darker when I had it before the fix.
I have to find the schematics I downloaded a while back for a Rev G.

It looks like it's in parallel with the treble cap on the Orange channel, which would increase upper mids on that channel.

C24 is the mid cap for the Red channel, so the 47K resistor and the cap immediately below that are the slope resistor and treble cap for the Red channel; thus the "vertical" (in the pic) 1M resistor where one end of the new cap goes is the channel bridging resistor (which suppresses noise when switching), and the new cap is connected to the other end of it, hence is in parallel with the green-topped cap immediate below it, which is the treble cap for the Orange channel. (By process of elimination/deduction ;).)

Why he would do that unless you asked him to make the channel brighter/more present, I don't know. Unless the old cap has failed and he couldn't be bothered removing it...

Thanks for the reply 94Tremoverb, I was thinking the same thing as to why he put that in there (I thought the other cap may have died or bumped the presence up a little bit) I just didn't know exactly what it did. Thanks for the details and explanation. :)

Back