PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone vs Fender Blacktop Baritone Tele

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msuscorpio

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you have any experience with either of these guitars? I have a Les Paul Studio Baritone that is about 6 years old that I love and would never part with. Now I'm looking for a 2nd baritone to add to my collection. Yes, I know Gibson reissued a slightly different version of my LP, but I dont have $1400 for that right now. These 2 retail for about $650 and $550 respectively. I cant find any stores around my area that carry them in stock so I'm trying to get some opinions and going through youtube videos for examples. As of now, Im leaning towards the PRS because Ive always wanted a PRS (even though this is a Korean made model, Ive heard nothing but good things) and Ive been able to find quite a few more examples of it online. Also, I play hard rock type stuff and I'm worried that the tele might be a bit more bluesy/twangy where as the PRS is a bit more thick and heavy sounding. Also, the Tele is MIM. That isnt really a big deal to me though as I already own a MIM Jazzmaster and honeslty, its one of my best sounding guitars. So anybody have opinions????

Don't know if this helps, but I did play a Fender Subsonic Stratocaster (baritone HH strat) and it was pretty killer. I am pretty sure the tele comes with a bridge humbucker too. Tele's always sounded better than strats to me with the same pickups in them. More wood and string through body, not string through tremolo with a huge hole in the body.

Is that from the Blacktop series?

I looked it up. They had a Squire model and a MIA model they made from 2000-2002.

I've got the Mike Mushok model and its excellent. Action and pickups are really good. Picked one up on a whim and absolutely love it. I use it for several styles and was surprised to find it works really well for clean styles as well as heavy. Highly recomended. Best bet is to try before you buy. hard to beat for the price, though. Very versatile and playable. hope this helps. :D

I've played both and the PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone seemed to be the better of the two. You wouldn't think an extra .7" would make a difference but it does. Also, I like Telecasters but with the exception of body shape and name, the Baritone Tele has very little common with a standard Telecaster.

Back