Joyo Pedals hype.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
Apparently I'm way behind on the hype over these as many people have been ga-ga over them and their prices. Does anyone have any experience with the Joyo pedal line at all? Everyone seems to be really impressed.

some of the Joyo pedals appear to be re-labeled Biyang products. Of course, the Biyang DS-7 (also re-labeled as an Aiwa pedal) is actually a pretty good distortion pedal sound wise, albeit a bit fragile. (don't ask how I know...)

I just now checked them out because of this post. I can't say how legit they are, but I sell OCD's all day long because they are exactly what they are cracked up to be: amazing. The first time I played one and the extra harmonics jumped out, I was sold. Not because of the gain on tap, how clear and articulate they are, and how it responds to guitar volume and picking dynamics. If a chinese manufacturer is making them and selling them for under 50 bucks, then they are throwing them away for parts alone (believe me, I know OCD's cost, and it's higher than that.) Which means based on any youtube video alone, odds are it's probably fuzzier (or gnarlier, whichever) in the high gain, doesn't clean up near as well, and doesn't respond as sensitively. Hell, look at all the boss DS-1 clones! Do they still sound like a DS-1? Nope. Never will.

I was thinking of pulling the trigger when I found one for $30.00. Then my better judgement took over. I mean why? My amps all sound great based upon the style and size of the stage/room/event. Not sure, maybe if I had some money to throw away I would get one to see, but then I feel I would be doing the same thing as buying the Chinese counterfeit R9 Gibson Les Pauls - real bad thing.

Dennis

I just ordered one on ebay. I've been looking into the OCD for a while, but I figured for the price I would start off with the JOYO and then see if I need an OCD or not. I will let you know once I get it.

SonicProvocateur said:
Hell, look at all the boss DS-1 clones! Do they still sound like a DS-1? Nope. Never will.

:lol: :lol: :lol: thank God.

thunda1216 said:
SonicProvocateur said:
Hell, look at all the boss DS-1 clones! Do they still sound like a DS-1? Nope. Never will.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I could never get along with my DS-1, not even after the Rectifier mod. I ended up giving it to a friend.

I bought a Joyo Ultimate Drive.
More crunch than the OCD videos I've seen. Lots of OD, but lifeless sounding to me, and super loud without the volume pot mod.
I did the Alpha Blues mods and it was ok, but not stellar, great, or even incredible.....
I gave it to my son who liked it for a week. It's now for sale on CL for $20.
If it doesn't sell, I might use the housing for a GGG or BYOC project.

They aren't bad, they are built well, the housings are good enough. There is just something that is missing.
A good friend of mine has the Joyo Jimi pedal and absolutely loves it. He's a Vintage Nazi of sorts and has tons of Marshalls, Fenders, Mark II, etc.

Monsta-Tone said:
thunda1216 said:
SonicProvocateur said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I could never get along with my DS-1, not even after the Rectifier mod. I ended up giving it to a friend.

To be fair though, I got rid of my DS-1 too. It wasn't -my- sound either, but it does do what it's supposed to. Produce clean clipping distortion that you can easily control (provided you don't dial it in for the piercing nasally sound!). Hell, I hate the Boss Metal Zone, but one time I ran it through this Crate tube 2x12 I had that sounded muddy and dull and the tone ended up gnarly as all get out! You never know! :lol: Satch used a DS-1 on his first album! All pedals have a tonal place, and it's easy to be a tone snob these days with so much good equipment out there, but if it sounds like a blanket over your gear, or your dynamics suck then it doesn't cut the fat - even the DS-1 can be dialed back and preserve your dynamics....sorta... :lol: That sucks to hear Joyo stuff was a disapointment though, I kinda was hoping for some cool clones.

I'm a gain freak though, so you might want to take that into consideration.
I'm the fool that things a Chevy Vega ought to go 200mph and a DC-5 should sound like a Mark IV eating a Recto.......

The Joyo that I got wasn't such a bad pedal. Like you said, it does what is supposed to.
It was assembled very well and the components were decent enough.
I thought it sounded like ***, with or without the mods. I know tons of Vintage guys that swear by them with the Alpha mods.
Even though I won't be buying anymore of them, in their defense, I didn't like the Alpha Blues pedal for basically the same reasons.

I got the Ultimate Drive pedal I ordered and its pretty good. I mean for less than $50 it's not disappointing at all. Does it sound better than an OCD, that I can't say as I haven't compared the two side by side. But on it's own I've heard way worst for much more money.

Just my 2 cents...

With all of the hooha going on these days about the economy and jobs and whatnot, I want to remind all y'all that paying a few buck less for a Chinese clone is one of the two main reasons we have no manufacturing here (#2 is environmental regulation). Are you really going to pay $1000 for a guitar and another $1000 for the amp, and then run a $50 box that sounds "pretty good for the money"?

They are definitely not rebranded Biyang pedals as one poster previously suggested. Their overdrive pedals are quite good for the price. My favorite pedal of theirs is the Deluxe Crunch which has both overdrive and distortion blended in and sounds mammoth.

Latest posts

Back