Programmable Graphic EQ for Guitar Rig

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TremoJem, I've been on a similar journey with my Splawn Nitro and G-Major 2.
The Nitro is a Recto/JCM hybrid (to my ears anyway) so I have an excellent starting point but between my other guitarist and bass player I'm left with a very narrow spectrum to work with. I have my parametric set up just like yours on the lower frequencies except I increase 120hz by 2db and decrease 240 by 2db. I slightly boost 1.2k with a wide q setting also.
I wish the G-Major had the EQ from the Axe-Fx. It had a 5 band parametric and shelving. It would be nice to lop off everything under 80hz or so to clean up the bottom end all together.

Thanks guys.

Yes that would be nice to have a better EQ available in the GMajor.

I have since decided to lower the 100Hz to a gain of 4.

I find at lower volumes it does not matter how much you add, the percussive sound is not there because you are not moving air.

At higher volumes a gain of 4 at 100Hz is more than enough.

Ryjan, you will find that it takes time, and maybe you already know this, but each different scenario lends itself another ear.

I find at lower volumes it does not matter how much you add, the percussive sound is not there because you are not moving air.

Bingo! That's why it's all part of playing the rig, not just the guitar. :)

Low frequency sound simply has more capacity to move air in such a way that provides that percussive thump on low-note chugs and such. At one point in the late 80's, I played through a custom cab that had a high-watt 18" subwoofer with a cross-over built-in. I've never heard another guitarist, pro or amateur, that could get the kind of ridiculous heart rhythm-altering low-end thump that I got with that bad boy. Even the modern Mesa cabs don't even come close. In fact, it ended up being way too much, and my bass player became almost unnecessary, and of course I mean that in a really bad way. Sure, it sounded cool and powerful as all hell, but in terms of playing with a band, it was a nightmare. At the end of the day, a guitar is not a bass nor a kick drum. :p Still, even to this day I still like chugs that you can feel as much as hear when playing live, and that's all about moving lots of air quickly.

Wow, late to the program--but this is probably one of the best posts on the Boogie Board. Good info here fellas,especially you,Chris! Thanks brotha!
2.gif

I agree...that Chris is the star here.

These changes have really made a difference in sustain, harmonic feedback, response and overall improved tone.

There are some compromises though, for example:

My Xotic line up, AC, RC and BB respond differently. I can easily fix this by disengaging the front end boost and then my sweet tone returns from these pedals. They do not suffer greatly from the gain/eq boost being engaged, but just sound different and respond differently.

My cleans lack a little of the sweet mid scoop that made them sound so **** amazing and clean, but that is also easily corrected by disengaging the front end boost. By removing the front end gain/eq boost I lose some of the attack but it really is not necessary in the first place, although it does add some nice affect. The real culprit in this equation is the +5db of 1KHz, but that is directly tied to that gain/eq boost that the pedal offers and I cannot separate them with just a quick stomp on the pedal. It is limited to a set up switch on the pedal.

This is not a problem with recording, but only with playing live.

No problem, as I believe that when playing live it will not present an issue.

Overall it is a great improvement and I credit Chris and others for sharing the knowledge.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm really glad to help. I'm currently talking to a couple of publishers about the idea of putting together a book on all this kind of stuff. The idea would be to have it all together in one place for reference. I'll let the forum know if something develops.

Hey Chris...I have another update for you.

But more importantly...is your book available?

Just let me know if it happens, as I am looking forward to buying it.

Let me get some things together and I will post the update.

Plus...I want to give this post some time to see if anyone is even interested...LOL.

Back