Carvin amps... what do you think??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played a Carvin Legacy a few days ago and was pretty impressed. Gotta be honest and say that I didn't expect the amp to actually sound as good as it did. Used a PRS Custom 24 and ran the head into a Marshall 1960A cab. The clean sound was awesome! Funny now that I'm older I pay a lot more attention to the tonal qualities of an amps clean channel :) the lead channel is certainly no firebreather by todays standards but it has plenty of gain for my taste. What really got my attention was how well the dirty channel cleaned up by rolling off some volume and manipulating the five way rotary knob on the PRS. Fun fun fun :D :D :D

I really don't need another amp (just like I don't need the two guitars I have on layaway) but that Legacy has got me thinking "what can I get rid of?" :oops:

The only concern I have is getting the amp serviced if there are any proprietary parts. I seem to remember my tech having issues obtaining parts or schematics to fix a Carvin combo some years back. Also my guitar tech never got a reply from Carvin regarding the wiring in my DC400 when I wanted to replace the Carvin M22 bridge pup with a Duncan JB. WTF?

Martin

I had a first legacy 2 x 12 combo, the lead sounds were simply awesome and the clean channel was like glass, plus add some of the on-board reverb, amp sounded good! the issue i had was when playing distorted rhythm, it was too much mid-lows and the crunch was getting buried in the mix...tried to adjust it, but the compromise between a good rhythm tone versus the lead tones was not something I could live by...hence, the MKV. BUT, the legacy II got me curious, it the second channel can get good overdrive to almost distortion, then the lead channel for solos, it might be a contender for my purposes with the MKV. Plus, it's made in the USA and it "appears" the build quality of carvin amps is very very good...

Carvin has all of the schematics on their webpage... If your tech is sharp he/she should have enough smarts to find them. If not it might be time to find a more internet savvy tech.

Try an MXR EQ in the loop for your rhythm settings.... you can pull and add to the frequencies. Gezzzz... Mesa and Carvin often include these built right into their amps :wink:

Yeah... V3's can be had relatively cheap and sound very good. I bought one last year at a good price and took it to rehearsal. I started to put it through it's paces and it sounded very nice but... my Single Recto slayed it in terms of volume, punch and general "mojo". So I sold my V3 to our manager, who seemed to love the amp as soon as I took it to the rehearsal room.

For the money, the V3 is a very nice choice, though.

Have anyone tried the X100B reissue? I saw a few youtube vids on them, it sounds intriquing. decent features, good sound and a stupid low price!!!!! $650 for a USA made all tube head?? thats just crazy!!!! It makes me want to try one on value alone. anyone here ever try one?

I've never tried the X100B but I've heard really good things about them. Hard to try one because they sell direct but when I wanted to try the Legacy I just ordered one and had 10 days to try it and send it back if I didn't like it. It ended up replacing my Stiletto Deuce II.

I'd love to try an X100B. In fact, I'd like to buy one. Most videos I've heard sound really good. Most reviews I've read are positive. Unfortunately, I can't try the free 10day trial. I live in Australia..... it's a real bummer.... so I'll just have to go by reviews for the re-issue. I did however hear an older X100b years ago at a gig and all I remember was how good this amp sounded. Years later I can understand why.

I own a Carvin Quad-X and it's a great bit of gear, similar to the Quad (supposedly based off the Quad...) It's a solid design. Excellent, in fact.

For the price, a Made in USA amp and the free 10 day trial, it's a no brainer. Vai played the older X100B's years back. Say no more.

I have a 1982 X100B - a rare animal because of the 4 volume knobs and 1 input. I have had it since it was made and will never part with it. But, it shines mostly in the clean mode. The overdrive channel does not have enough balls for anything I do. But, add my BB to the mix, and that all changes. I also have a Legacy I combo. As much as I loved the tone from that amp, it was just way to loud. Of course, now that I am selling it, I can see how I could work around that problem, but I much prefer my ED to anything I have ever played. I will always keep the X100B as a backup to the ED, but I hope to keep using the ED until I die. I only had one technical issue with my Carvin gear: the X100B blew out the 5-band graphic. Fortunately, a good local tech was able to correct that. I also never cared for how the X100B's tone controls were active; meaning they affect the gain. The bass was always way too strong, so I had to keep it turned down. Even the graphic EQ affects the gain. It's still a killer amp, but it pales in comparison to my ED.

Many years ago I considered a Carvin Amp. However, I was already hooked by a Mark III. My bass player used Carvin. I was impressed on the sound quality. I did not really think much of Carvin since they do not sell through distribution like the other brands, so it is hard to spend the money without trying it first. I did not even think twice when I bought the MKIV. Never crossed my mind before buying the MKV. I am considering it now, but do I need it?

There is a 100w tube head Carvin on Rig Talk for 350. You could try it, maybe have FJA mod it to your desires and be 900 all done with a killer custom tube head of your voicing.

My first amp was the old Carvin 100w tube head. Great amp. Should have kept it. They are a great company and I would say they have earned a good rep the old fashioned way with good service and great gear on the cheap.

I have been watching ebay, I bought three carvin guitars that way. I have my eye on a V3 head. I may even consider V3M combo. How many amps is too many? Dumb question to ask in an amp forum. I have had people complain to me that I have too many guitars. In my books, Carvin makes the best guitars. I have tried fender, gibson, ibenez, yamaha, if I want to include acoustics - even owned a martin d28 but sold that for college funds.

I use an old X100B for my cleans, until I sell some stuff and get a Lonestar. For high gain, the Carvin V3 does a decent job, although I personally like Rectos more.

I have narrowed down why I want another amp. I was considering the V3 since it is primarily an EL34 amp, has some nice tones to it. I have been on the Carvin forums to find out as much as possible (likes or dislikes, issues, problems, etc...). In reality Carvins are just like any other boutique amps including Mesa, they all have pros and cons. Since I already have two moderate to high gain amps already (Mark V and Mark IV), what would be different would be an RA100 which I believe would be a better fit for what I am looking for. I was almost sold on a Dynamo GT6, but I think 200W would be a bit over the top, I do not believe the amp has a means for reduction in power other than the volume control. Also it does not have reverb. The RA100 on the other hand has the attenuators on the output as well as 50W mode. The more I learn about the RA100 the more I want it. I should have a third amp before the end of the year, unless something else comes up to delay that. As for guitars, that is all I have, and I plan on getting a few more. I will have to check out the Lonestar amp. I am still looking but now my sights are set on the RA100. I was tempted to pick up a used Electa Dyne combo a few weeks ago. It sounded really good, even better when someone else was playing though it.

Rkorn said:
To play mainly high gain stuff... compared to the Mark V. I really liked the Mark, but my luthier says Mesa is terrible and Carvin is Great. He doesn't play that much high gain... opinions?
Carvin = Yuk.

I just bought a Carvin V3MC. At first I was not impressed but after checking the bias, it was way off. Set it where it belonged, and changed one preamp tube (secondary stages for the high gain channels, reduction in tube gain JAN/GE 5751). What a world of difference that made. This little amp sounds just as great as my Mark IV combo. It may not be as loud and robust but it performs great and weighs in at halt the weight of the Mark IV. Construction is not all that bad either. The chassis is well made, cabinet not bad. I opted for the Carvin branded GT12. I took it out to try the WGS Black Hawk in it. Put the GT12 in the extension cab that I run the Mark IV though. WOW, the Carvin speaker blew me away (running in parallel with a Fane Studio in the Mark Iv. I put it back in the V3MC and could not be happier. Plugged this little EL84 50W amp into my 412 with Celestion V30 and it sounded great. I bought this as a travel amp so I do not have to lug around my Mesa boogies. If I were to gig in a band, it would be hard to decide what amp to use. I guess it all depends on that tone I am after. Most likely the Mark V is the top on my list followed by the RA100.

I had three carvin amps. All 100w valve heads-- first their MTS3200, then the V3 and finally the x100b reissue. The MTS has glorious cleans but the the dirty channel was just adequate. Verdict is It didn't have a place in my arsenal. Next up was the V 3. Loved it out of the box. Beat the hell out of it. It shorted out and smoked my studio one day and is still on the shelf fried. That was heartbreaking. Next up was the x100B. This baby sings. I have it set as a hot rodded JCM 800. It's a versatile great sounding made in USA PRO GRADE piece of kit.

For full disclosure, I just got my first Mesa about two months ago. Like it a lot. I also have and Engl Morse, Engle Blackmore, Marshall JVM 210, Jcm 800 and and 1977 un modded SLP. Also Rockerverb MKI and a block letter 5150.

The Carvin's are great values and hang with the big boys.

I have not bothered with other Carvin amps. I did consider a V3 but why would I need it, I have a Roadster, RA100, Mark V, Mark IV and the small but heavy Carvin V3MC. Comparing quality of the only Carvin amp to any of my Mesa amps, no comparison. The components used on the Mesa products (control knobs, pots, switches, cabinet construction, coverings, etc...) is far better than any other products I have compared too, including Carvin. However, when it comes to Carvin guitars including the new Kiesel custom branded instruments, the are made of great quality. Most of the other brand of guitars I have tried seem cheesy when compared to the Carvin quality and workmanship regarding the instruments. That may explain why I have 10 Carvins.

Latest posts

Back