TA-30 reverb problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glotts71 said:
Hi all, new to the forum -- just bought a TA-30 rackmount unit, and having a lot of hissing on channel 1 as well (even with the reverb turned down and/or switched off via footswitch). Posted a quick video of the problem. Seems like a lot of noise for an amp in this price range . . . :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMI1BfWgM9U&list=UUR1TjrGYjzXHwimPXszwIxQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Exactly as on my combo.
I wrote Mesa about this. The bottom line was (after having returned the TA-15 with a similar problem and purchasing the TA-30) that they try and make the amp sound good when played and not pay as much attention to what the noise floor is when you don't play a note. Also, the very friendly guy maintained that taking away this hiss would also take away from the sound when played, which sort of makes sense.
In any event - in live playing situations, when there's a lot going on in terms of noise anyway, I never found this to be a problem - only when there's silence, which can make it awkward to use and justify to soundboard guys or band members why there's this noise.

Yep, I was afraid that would be the answer from Mesa, but just doesn't make sense to me, especially since the amp sounds so **** good with the FX loop bypassed - and considering this costs $1500. I play with in-ears, so I generally have the amp turned down and mic'ed up . . . so I hear my amp very well, and this hiss is going to drive me nuts at gigs I'm sure. Have to believe that Mesa will fix this issue in future revisions . . . but for now, I think I'll have to return it. Frustrating . . .

i have some hiss but only when the master is not engaged in the first channel, then when you turn up the cut control the hiss will be less....on the 2nd channel there is some hiss when the fx is on......anyway you can only hear it at bedroom volume and i can live with that because the sound of the amp is amazing...i think mesa did something that nobody has done before and is probably on the edge of technical feasibility (maybe im wrong...): Vox style circuit (no negative feedback) and fender/marshall/mesa style circuit (negative feedback) together as a multiwatt channel switcher with assignable and tube driven fx loop/reverb in such a compact package...this is no excuse for some issues but its something that you really hear only at low volumes and does not bother me...
I used to have a two rock amp that was almost 3 times more expensive and the reverb hum was similar, the fx loop was not working properly without expensive dumbulator...

I've noticed that seemingly all modern Mesa's entertain great cleans AND high gain possibilities. And, most high gain Mesa's tend to be somewhat noisy (nothing major and much quieter than most high gain amps), even with the gain and treble knobs set in the middle of their respective ranges. At least that is what my experiences with Mesa's have entailed. With my Roadster and my Royal Atlantic, I've always noticed some "noise" with the gain set anywhere past 2:00. Nothing major, and much less than what is found in other high gain amps (or at least comparable). I even called Mesa and spoke with Marcus and Tien about this. They both told me essentially the same thing. I could either try to quiet things down a bit by buying their SP-AX7 preamp tubes for the V-1 slot, or live with it since that is where a lot of the tone also comes from. I wonder if some of this noise that I've read about is in the TA-30 is from the design itself. After all, getting a relatively low wattage amp to have lots and lots of gain through a complex preamp design, I think, would add copious amounts of noise to the final sound -- since, there is less power amp to cleanly amplify what is created in the preamp. Perhaps much of this noise has to do with, generally speaking of course, Mesa adding lots of preamp gain to the fold. Maybe this is a byproduct of the versatility Mesa is giving their amps. In terms of the reverb noise people have discussed here, I've always thought that reverb tanks further enhance and amplify noise (and the overall sound) inherent in amps. If there is a lot of noise in a design, then that noise may be further amplified by the reverb circuit, when turned up.

The Royal Atlantic is quite the amazing amp. If any of you should decide to leave the TA, I highly suggest giving the RA a spin! :lol:

Played two more TA-30s this week. The first one cooked itself. After we turned it on we couldn't get any volume out of it. A check of the amp and replacement of the cables didn't help. A few minutes later, lots of smoke came pouring out of the head. Maybe we just had two faulty speaker cables and the head never had a proper load. Probably not the amp's fault, but who knows. A couple of days later I track down another TA-30 head. The sales guy is playing it and I'm adjusting the controls. But I noticed there wasn't any headroom. The amp sounded weak. We had both volumes up all the way. Anyway, I flip on the reverb and BAM, there is all of the volume. I go scrambling for the volume knobs. Turn off the reverb, less volume. Turn on the reverb, tons of volume and tons of that classic TA-30 buzzy, hissy reverb noise.

So that's it. I'm out. I wanted the TA-30 badly too. That thing looks great. I'm in love with that top boost sound. Love the versatility and portability. I was even willing to drop over $2500 for the head, two TA 1x12 cabinets and the tax; even in this economy. But after playing 8 different units they all seem too unreliable. For that kind of cash I should be able to hammer nails with the thing and it still work flawlessly.

So today I played through a new PRS 2 channel 50 watt. Excellent reverb. Dead quiet. Cheaper than the TA-30 too. Good luck to the rest of you. I hope you have better luck with this lunch box than I had.

sti66,

I am very sorry to hear of your problems. I will say that I haven't experienced any problems with my TA-30 112 combo amp whatsoever. Additionally, I don't consider the "noise issue" that several complain about to be a problem for my needs with this amp. Honestly, I feel the noise levels of this amp are quite low compared to the vintage amps that Mesa is mimicing in this series, but that is just my opinion.

I agree, the "Top Boost" mode offered in the TA amp is second to none for that vintage Vox sound in a modern production amp. I also love the vintage sounds offered in the other modes of both channels of my TA30 amp (Especially....the Normal, Top Boost, Tweed and H1 Modes), but there again, I haven't experienced the issues you are describing at all.

I do hope that the amp that you recently purchased works well for your needs! :mrgreen:

TA30 Head Mods applied.

Discovered that there is a TA-30 mod for one of the voltage rails, where an electrolytic capacitor is added. While in the shop for the voltage rail mod, the Reverb mod was added. This mod rotates the Power Transformer to reduce magnetic flux interference with the Reverb tank signal. After the Reverb mod. the Reverb setting can now be adjusted beyond 2 o'clock, reverb remains clean, never achieved before the mod. An adapter offset bracket is required to permit the Power transformer to be rotated and still utilize the existing chassis mounting screw holes.

I have not seen the technical sheet for these mods, this information obtained through conversation with my AMP Tech, or if they only apply to a TA-30 Head.

Was experiencing a huge amount of hum in the higher wattage settings on Channel 1 (TA-30 head). After 2 weeks in the shop, just had the factory-authorized capacitor mod for the Reverb problem done, and it definitely runs quieter (though still a slight hum). The tech advised that doing the other (transformer) mod would require much time in the shop given he would have to wait for Mesa to send the parts.

I am happy that Mesa is standing behind their product with warranty work and mods.

A little disappointed that for an $1800 (Cdn) amp, these design flaws weren't worked out at the R&D stage. I do, however, get that it is a complex amp given all its functionality, and I do like its tones and flexibility.

Wow. Never knew that hissing really bother a lot of people. I need to check mine out again because I've never noticed such a noise problem before :shock:

Greetings dear group. I want to thank you in advance for many of your responses since they have helped me make decisions about doing the TA-30.

On the other hand, I want to share what my TA is concerned with. i), indicate that it is a head and its serial number is TA · -0309X, with a manufacturing date of July 2014; ii) It does not suffer hum or noise. Keep in mind that the nature of the TA 30 there are small noises on channel 1 (As indicated in the user manual). The reberveration is very nice and the effects loop is 100% usable; iii) In previous threads it has been indicated that the position of the output power transformer generates excessive noise; In this regard, this TA 30 comes from the factory with its position changed, as shown below.

https://ibb.co/RbHhmNp

https://ibb.co/F88x8DV

In conclusion, it is a magnificent amp with an incredible sound very three dimensional. I'm thinking of adding a Boss NS 2 (Noise Gate) to try to eliminate what little noise is left. If anyone has tried this before, I would appreciate if you would let me know.
I hope I could be of help. Greetings.
Q: If the images fall, please let me know.

Latest posts

Back