Is there an inexspensive and reliable way to test tubes...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark2boogie

what about a bk 700 mutual condunctance tester?

I'm glad I re-read this thread. #1) I have a monstrous collection of TV/Radio tubes, some tested and some untested and I need a good tester but was unsure which one to go with, and this helps me chose. #2) I had no idea that some older Ampeg's used compactron tubes!! That's wild! I have several of those (some really good ones!) I thought they were designed almost specifically for color TV's.

Edit: just read on the interwebs that the Reverbrocket (probably my favorite Ampeg amp ever) uses a compactron. Wicked. Did not know this.

Sorry to answer a bit late, guys...

yeti said:
mark2boogie

what about a bk 700 mutual condunctance tester?

The BK 700 tests mutual conductance (Gm) on some tubes, but often with less better conditions than the Hickoks, depending on the tube type tested. For other tubes, it's only an emission test, not really usable for us, and unusable for any matching operation. These are the explanation I have in my litterature, but I must confess that I never had a BK700 in hands...

SonicProvocateur said:
I'm glad I re-read this thread. #1) I have a monstrous collection of TV/Radio tubes, some tested and some untested and I need a good tester but was unsure which one to go with, and this helps me chose. #2) I had no idea that some older Ampeg's used compactron tubes!! That's wild! I have several of those (some really good ones!) I thought they were designed almost specifically for color TV's.

Edit: just read on the interwebs that the Reverbrocket (probably my favorite Ampeg amp ever) uses a compactron. Wicked. Did not know this.

Yes : many Ampegs used the 6C10 and similar Compactron triple triode, notably : the V4B, V4N, VT22, some Jets... On the Fender Super-Champ, on the Super Twin Reverb, you could find Compactrons too...

A+!

Hi guys... The Tube Testing Craze in on !

I recently bought 2 tube testers :

A Hickok 539B with CA-4 compactron/novar/submin,etc. external adapter and complete original documentation :

611609hickock1.jpg

540792hickock11.jpg

615064hickock9.jpg

A Hickok 752A with complete original documentation :

350208originalpic752A1.jpg

990174originalpic752A3.jpg

399911originalpic752A4.jpg

Needless to say : I love that kind of instruments... Of sometimes questionable usefullness !

A+!

For your needs an emissions type tester with shorts test is all you need.Matching for power tubes needs to be done by current draw,not by gm.I have a very good Triplett 3444 and a Weston 981-3,both are gm testers and the most reliable test feature is the shorts and gas tests.Although the Triplett will give me current measurements,I prefer to match power tubes in an amp that gives full working voltage.Tube testers dont give full working voltages.I have been repairing and building tube amps for over 30 yrs and the only reason I have the testers I do is for my personal collection of NOS and old stock tubes I have.But the only true,final reliable test is in the circuit the tube is intended for.You can get a good reliable emissions tester for under $100 on ebay,its really all you'll ever need.I like my testers for more of an informational type thing,but as i said earlier,the only true,reliable test is in the circuit the tube will be used in.

i got my td55 on ebay for 25$. it's all i need. lets me know if the tubes are in working condition, and how much life is left on them/shorts/gas/leaks.

Orange is coming out with a simple tube tester, just unveiled at NAMM. Looks pretty good from the demo.

stokes said:
For your needs an emissions type tester with shorts test is all you need.Matching for power tubes needs to be done by current draw,not by gm.I have a very good Triplett 3444 and a Weston 981-3,both are gm testers and the most reliable test feature is the shorts and gas tests.Although the Triplett will give me current measurements,I prefer to match power tubes in an amp that gives full working voltage.Tube testers dont give full working voltages.I have been repairing and building tube amps for over 30 yrs and the only reason I have the testers I do is for my personal collection of NOS and old stock tubes I have.But the only true,final reliable test is in the circuit the tube is intended for.You can get a good reliable emissions tester for under $100 on ebay,its really all you'll ever need.I like my testers for more of an informational type thing,but as i said earlier,the only true,reliable test is in the circuit the tube will be used in.

As an emission tester is reliable to tell you if a really dead tube is really dead, you even don't need a tube tester... But some of them are so nice... Here is my NRI 70 emission tester, cool and compact, in his fingerjoint maple cab :

247592IMG2401.jpg

I had in the past a mint Triplett 3423, but it was an "unreliable compass", not a tube tester, unfortunately...

166449IMG6395.jpg

The best I have is the Metrix 310CTR (French made, non mais alors) which tests Gm by the static grid shift method, but measures plate current Ip under the datasheet conditions (up to 300V and 100mA) :

400737metrix310CTR.png

Jak0lantern01 said:
Orange is coming out with a simple tube tester, just unveiled at NAMM. Looks pretty good from the demo.

I think that it is a costy toy, but I may wrong as I never had one in hands yet. As said Stokes above : buy a vintage emission tester from the 60's, in excellent shape, fully functional, with its tube charts and data, like the ones I displayed in the posts before... There's zillions made, so these are usually very affordable.

A+!

Latest posts

Back