American Music and Band - Beware

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
domct203 said:
Yea sure, they opened the box to test the amp, then they applied some dust and threw out the box and held the rest of the items for an order you did not even place yet :shock:

Yeah, I know... The same thoughts have been circling in my head for the last several days. But, at least the the amp "checked" out with the tech. Meaning it powers on and actually lights up. We will know more once the tranny swap is complete.

domct203 said:
Sounds like the seller is talking out their *** to cover their deceptive acts. The amp is obviously used, a demo model at best. I doubt that they are even an authorized Mesa retailer as not just anyone can sell new Mesa gear at retail Pro-Net pricing. I would ask for a 15-20% refund, if they give you a hard time, report them to the "Better Business Bureau". I would report them anyways.

I agree. It is definitely not new. But, one thing I did manage to do right was to look them up on Mesa's web site before I pulled the trigger. There they were in the official dealer list for MN. An Authorized Mesa dealer. That's one of the main reasons I thought everything would be cool. And, probably one of the reasons Mesa sprang into such decisive action when I told them about it.

Also, I will suggest the 15-20% to them and see what they are willing to do.

domct203 said:
When the missing items arrive be sure to check that you have the correct manual and footswitch for the new Multi-Watt Recto. The previous model Rectos used the "Bigfoot" footswitch, which had all the switches in one single row. The new Multi-Watt Recto footswitch is a "3 X 3" design, with two rows of 3 buttons. I'm not sure if the footswitch cable should be a 7-pin or 8-pin.

Thanks again for all the great information Dom... I will be sure to check these things closely when (if) I get them. Which "should" be this week sometime.

WannaBoogie said:
Someone asked why I purchased a mesa from "Amazon of all places"... In answer to that... Mesa distributors generally do not ship to military addresses overseas. I cannot believe that Mesa would have such an unfair policy. But, most of the dealers do refuse to ship to military addresses. Most cite that they do not ship via USPS, which makes sense to me. Since, USPS is the only shipping option to military posts.
However, this dealer accepted the order and agreed to ship it to an APO address. The dealer looked as legit as any other Amazon seller. So, I thought it was a good chance to get some "boogie".
First time I have ever had such a problem with any Amazon merchant. They are usually very good.

Oh! I totally forgot to mention... I also ordered my Recto Cab from them... <insert sucking sound>

Anyway, the saga continues... The quest for "boogie"... Episode II coming soon to a rant near you. :-D

Thanks again for the info and suggestions.

I don't know if it's just recently or not, but I talked to a mesa rep (direct from factory) and he told me that they'll be able to ship using APO but you have to order by phone directly from them because they don't do it regularly and he has to figure out APO/FPO/DPO restrictions and insurance. i called them a week ago because I want to get a royal atlantic shipped all the way to kandahar!!! :twisted:

so if you're thinking about another new boogie whatever in the future, just hit them up directly.

geetar_geek79 said:
I don't know if it's just recently or not, but I talked to a mesa rep (direct from factory) and he told me that they'll be able to ship using APO but you have to order by phone directly from them because they don't do it regularly and he has to figure out APO/FPO/DPO restrictions and insurance. i called them a week ago because I want to get a royal atlantic shipped all the way to kandahar!!! :twisted:

so if you're thinking about another new boogie whatever in the future, just hit them up directly.

Kandahar? Dude! You gonna ROCK THE KASBAH!?!

That would be friggin AWESOME!
When I find a good merchant that ships here... I use them often! So, if Mesa does this for us... I see a "B Rig" Mini Recto and Cab in my future...

Thanks for the heads-up

domct203 said:
JAZZGEAR said:
I'm still waiting for the OP to answer a question previously asked: Why were you shopping for a "New" Mesa @ Amazon? Seems most people only go there -- bargain hunting....and given Mesa's homogenous pricing policy, the OP was setting himself up for what in fact happened. :shock:
That was already clearly explained in the 5th post in this thread.

Are you insinuating the OP deserved to be ripped-off? Are you saying that it is fair to be mislead by a retailer simply because someone is looking for a good price, even though that was not the case for the OP as previously explained.

I'm not trying to flame, just sayin.....

Dom

I'm not insinuating anything, just stating a fact of why most people shop at Amazon....they're usually bargain hunting -- which is incongruent to Mesa "new" products pricing policy. I clearly overlooked the OP's reply to the question. Don't get a heart-attack, Geez :!:

JAZZGEAR said:
domct203 said:
JAZZGEAR said:
I'm still waiting for the OP to answer a question previously asked: Why were you shopping for a "New" Mesa @ Amazon? Seems most people only go there -- bargain hunting....and given Mesa's homogenous pricing policy, the OP was setting himself up for what in fact happened. :shock:
That was already clearly explained in the 5th post in this thread.

Are you insinuating the OP deserved to be ripped-off? Are you saying that it is fair to be mislead by a retailer simply because someone is looking for a good price, even though that was not the case for the OP as previously explained.

I'm not trying to flame, just sayin.....

Dom

I'm not insinuating anything, just stating a fact of why most people shop at Amazon....they're usually bargain hunting -- which is incongruent to Mesa "new" products pricing policy. I clearly overlooked the OP's reply to the question. Don't get a heart-attack, Geez :!:

Nobody's having heart failure. It's just that experience and opinions vary widely. No one should have lower (or higher) expectations of a vendor based on the portal they use to sell. (They are listed as a authorized Mesa dealer) And, Amazon has been VERY good to me over the years. In fact, this is only the second time (in 8 years of doing business with them) that I've have any problems with one of their merchants. I've actually never had a problem with any of their items directly "sold and shipped by" Amazon.

For the most part, I find it difficult to find "bargain" pricing on Amazon. (at least for stuff that I am interested in) I always got the impression that it was "list price" paradise for many merchants who increase their sales ratios through us folks who shop there strictly for convenience.
This whole episode is definitely the exception to the rule. And, if I were to file a refund claim, I would definitely get all my money back through Amazon. It's just that I prefer not to start waiting for my Boogie all over again.

Hope this answers your question.

NOTE TO SELF: MESA/BOOGIE "New" does not necessarly mean new in box as Mesa Products are to be sold at full price demo models or not. This is why it is a good idea to request a "sealed" new in box product when you are buying a new Mesa. Having said that, I can't say that I'm surprised that you received what looks to be a demo model. I am surprised, however, that you are missing accessories for it.

WannaBoogie said:

Open box is open box... and does not sell for full retail. <IMHO>

Cheers!

As I stated in my previous post that isn't how it works with MESA. Until a MESA product has had one actual owner it is to be sold as new regardless. It has to do with the strict pricing of Mesa Boogie. Having said that, when I was looking to buy my Mesa 2x12 cabinet all GC had was a floor model that was beat up. The sales rep made let the damage of the cab be known and went on to tell me that it still must be sold for full price regardless. Needless to say I bought somewhere else. Again if you want a sealed product demand a sealed product when buying a Mesa Product.

GuitarGuy503 said:
NOTE TO SELF: MESA/BOOGIE "New" does not necessarly mean new in box as Mesa Products are to be sold at full price demo models or not. This is why it is a good idea to request a "sealed" new in box product when you are buying a new Mesa. Having said that, I can't say that I'm surprised that you received what looks to be a demo model. I am surprised, however, that you are missing accessories for it.

That is good info to know, Thanks!

Dom

I haven't received the rest of it yet. But, MilPost is often exceedingly slow - particularly with large parcels... since they always fly them out "space available".

Should arrive within the next week though... after that, I might start getting a bit concerned. :cry:
It will probably take until then to get the tranny sorted out... one worry at a time I guess.

Cheers

Just an Update on the company's response to all the problems with the order...

They have offered a 25% refund on the entire order (including the cabinet) for the troubles with the order.

Of course I accepted that as a complete resolution to the issue. :)

Not a bad outcome IMHO.

Thanks for all the support!

I just thought to update this thread with the recent (non)developments.

Personally, I have totally had it with this company. First, the aforementioned hassles. And, now, they are back to their old tricks.

The promised goodwill refund "for all the problems encountered" never materialized.
And, the 2x12 cabinet (with all the amp accessories packed with it) has also never materialized.

Due to their apparent hustle in the beginning, I removed the negative feedback from Amazon... Since that time... communication has once again fallen on deaf and non-responsive ears... or eyes. (Yeah, I was a gullible gus)

I have constantly badgered them via email for tracking numbers, which they have thus far refused to deliver. And, repeatedly asked as to the status of the promised goodwill refund... not a single reply in three weeks.
The best information I can get from the postal service (using only the delivery address as a reference) indicates that the parcel may have been returned to the shipper for paperwork problems... i inquired to them about this... no reply at all.

So, today, with few options available to me, I forwarded to Mesa the entire thread of communications since Mesa first lit a fire under their butts back in early October. Hopefully, Mesa will give a hand and help me get the gear I paid for two long months ago.

So, my warning against doing business with American Music and Band still stands. Either they are extremely poor business people or they are outright crooks.

Amazon will most likely back me up as a last resort... But, we will see what Mesa digs up.

UPDATE 12/13/2011:

GREAT NEWS!

Amazon could not get a response from the American Music and Band on the A-Z claim for the Dual Recto or the Recto Cabinet.

So, they granted a FULL REFUND on both orders. I still don't have a foot-switch though. But, this is FAR more than I ever expected. Return of the Amp was NOT a condition of the refund either.

For anyone who questions making such purchases through Amazon... THAT'S why I buy from Amazon. They take care of crappy merchants like AM&B.

This situation is finally resolved after 10 weeks of grief. Now, I need to find out how to buy a footswitch and get back to the BOOGIE!

YellowJacket said:
So you got a boogie and a full refund for your troubles!? Pretty awesome. Maybe contact Mesa and ask them about the footswitch. They'll know what to do!

Yeah, I will wait until after holidays to try and buy the footswitch and other stuff from Mesa. For now, I am just glad this nightmare is over. Even if they demanded it, they would not get this amp back. I have already replaced V1~V3 and V6 as well as put some nice TungSol rectifiers in it... not to mention the tranny swapout "part 2" coming up as soon as I receive the 11 lead tranny from Mercury.

Never wanted for anyone to lose out on this. But, the delays, lies, stress and other frustration associated with this ordeal are deserving of a full refund IMO.

It may be totally "American" of me. But, I really needed to vent this frustration... Thanks mates! for being supportive and offering your insights while this was going on...

I am definitely SO finished with these AM&B people. And, SO totally psyched on Amazon's customer protection.

Latest posts

Back