HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesman731

Reaction score
My Lonestar Classic 2x12 V-2 is Fading in and out " power wise". Volume there , then volume not there. Could I be asking for to much juce from the wall ? Or, am I needing new tubes ? I do have my pedal board in front and a delay in the loop. Any help would be just dandy !! Thanks.

Sounds like a tube issue, but it's hard to know for certain which one. Hard bypass the effects loop. Still have a problem? Does it do it in both chan 1 and 2? Does it do it in all the power settings?

The answers to the above questions could point directly to the defunct tube.

Don't sweat it. Tube issues happen and are easy to address!

I played straight into the amp today after work. I did leave my delay in the loop for this test. Played for about 30 minutes then fade in and out. I walked out of the bedroom and the wife was running the microwave. I wonder if this is just a powerdraw from the wall. I will do the next test with nothing in the loop. I can,t imagine the loop being the culprit. I do have a new set of power tubes to try also.

I think guys are telling you to bypass the loop because it is a tube driven loop. If you bypass and it fixes the problem then you are a bad preamp tube for the loop. I forget which one it is. I dont know if V1 only controls the clean channel or if V1 and V2 are for both channels. If you only get the power loss in the dirty channel, I would say V2 is bad because I think that tube is just for gain?

Also keep in mind that with the loop switched in, if the contacts are dirty, it will cause the volume to cut in and out. It's a common problem which I also had with my LSC head and can be cured with some contact cleaner or as in my case, it was mild enough that just plugging/unplugging a cable into the jacks was enough to clear things up.

I understand about the loop now.Very interesting. Anyway, I just played for about an hour and no power sag. Also the microwave was not in operation. I think this could be the cause. If not I will trouble shoot the effects loop. All the contacts are spottless. I will play some more tomorrow and report back. Thanks. Chris.

Well , I changed all the power tubes. This time with EL34. The sound did not fade. I might add that the EL34s sound great. The drive channel is now what I allways thought it should be. The muddyness is gone. I will repost If there are any more issues. Thanks for all the help guys. Chris. P.S. Is there any way to test tubes outside of the amp ? I remember in the way way olden days I could go to the local drug store and plug them in to a friggin monster of a tester. Dont see them any more.

I think amp techs have a way of testing output of tubes but the best way is to just use your ears. Power fading in and out is a sign of tubes failing. Wieird feedback, ringing noises or tone just sounding bad all of the sudden could be signs of failing tubes also.

Latest posts

Back