Best Delay for Mv in Fx Loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre Oliveros

Reaction score
i want a delay for leads mostly, budget doesnt matter that much, i was thinking on any o the TC nova delay , nova repeater or the flashback, i own the Headrush 2, the giga delay and the DL4 and a DD3 so that are not options, any ideas?

thanks

Dre.

The nova delay is extremely versatile, but there's something that's just not quite right about it. I hate the way the volume works (anything over 10% is overbearing) and it just always seems to be getting in the way. I also find it's a bit sterile and digital sounding.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good pedal... I've owned two of them... But it's never quite felt right with me.

But it depends on what you're looking for.. If you want multiple settings and lots of options you're looking at the DL4, Giga Delay, Nova Delay or an Eventide Timefactor.

If you just need one good sound, EHX Memory Man, a DD2 or DM2 and maybe a T-Rex Replica.

But I must ask... If you already own 4 delays -- all of which I'd consider better than anything TC offers... why do you need another?

well, i need a delay just for leads, i use all this delays for diferent things but mostly for looping, its a mix of things. i used the DD3 for leads with a Ds1 and a orange amp wich sounded great, weird that a Ds1 sounded that good but i guess the combination was surprisely good, but now the DD3 just sound so weird in the loop, actually i changed all my pedals to the fx loop because of the new kinda way to set the mark V, i mean my lead sound was a Ds1, and my chunk was the dirty chanel on orange, now its different i dont have to use any distortion or OD in front because of the amp great sounds in the channels, so basicaly i need a really good pedal for leads just for leads.

I have an Eventide Timefactor and I'm totally happy with it! I did not have any of the impedance/volume issues with it in my loop as it handles the loop signal perfectly. Good luck mate!

i use a nova system in the effects loop of my mark V and a G force in the effects loop of my triaxis. both delays sound great! clean and distinct by itself even with distortion. lately though, when playing in a band, finding myself to shy away towards delays in solos, feels as if the delays will let your solos lose definition within a band context, even with tap tempo'd to the right meter. i still use delays, but it sounds clearer without 'em during solos, in a band.

It seems like this is one of those questions that gets asked about every couple of months or so :lol:

I would encourage you to give the Timefactor a shot. It's a great delay and excellent for lead work.

I have the Nova Delay in the loop. I love the thing. It's delay range is HUGE and if you calibrate it, it sound great at any volume. I have it set to about 525 and it gives me a nice subtle trail for single note passages. I leave it on all the time and just activate it with the FX loop switch on the Mark V switcher.

I'm running a strymon timeline in the loop right now, but I'm really thinking about switching to a timefactor. I love the tape delay and analog on the strymon, but it just doesn't cut through very well

SG_Seth said:
I'm running a strymon timeline in the loop right now, but I'm really thinking about switching to a timefactor. I love the tape delay and analog on the strymon, but it just doesn't cut through very well
I have the timeline, and its the "bee's knees" 8) I have no issues whatsoever-are you saying it is weak, or faint?
I really dig it because it sounds great in the front of my Bray (no loop) as well as in the loop of my others-lots of parameters..not a basic "plug and play" pedal-nice warm analog-ish on dbucket and dtape-dual, digital, pattern,etc takes care of the modern digital realm
believe i will be adding more strymons to the arsenal... :)

Fcal124 said:
Was using MXR Carbon Copy, but now using Hardwire Delay/Looper.
Lots of different settings available.

I'm using the DL8 out front and it suits my needs as well. The tape and lo-fi settings can really soften the edgy-ness of being digital I think. Plus, the 'slap' setting really nails the "slap time range" and makes it easier to dial in quickly.

To the OP, you have some pretty decent delays there and you want another for leads? I think all the ones you currently own are digital, maybe not the Headrush, and all should be easily tweaked for leads (at least the way I'd set it).

So, maybe you're really looking for a more analog sound (faux or organic) for your leads, instead of digital. I dunno, just thinking out loud :D

Latest posts

Back