Midi Switchers.....Which one???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I need 3 or 4 midi switching functions for my amp, possibly more if I ever run in stereo.

I'm looking for:
- easy to use
- easy to program
- affordable
- reliable
- silent/fast switching
- small size

I'm also looking for something that is made by a company that has not gone out of business. No offense to the GRX4, but I want to be able to purchase another one at a later date as well as have tech support and order parts if needed!

Here are the ones that I've seen lately.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Voodoo-Lab-Control-Switcher-Guitar-Footswitch-/150668628126?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item23148cd09e (I really like Voodoo Lab. Made in America! Rock Solid construction!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAC-2-MIDI-Amp-Controller-Diamond-Amps-RJM-Music-/230629506887?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35b296ff47

I'm currently using all Voodoo Labs gear, and I have to say it is the easiest to use MIDI gear I have ever used. If you stick to all Voodoo labs gear it will make it super easy to program and edit on the fly, no MIDI info (PC#, CC#, MIDI channel of all devices etc) needed for all the basic functions.

I went from a Behringer Uno modded FCB1010 with Axess gear, which really needed to be hooked up to a PC to make any changes, to all Voodoo gear (GCP, GCX & Control Switcher) and could not be happier. Their customer support is top notch also (very Mesa-like) and they have a support forum bbs that is frequented by one of their techs.

Dom

Can't go wrong with RJM. Great company with some of the best products and even better service.

And I don't have any affiliation with them, I'm just a satisfied customer :D

Monsta-Tone said:
Where is the RJM stuff made?
Last I checked all of their products are 100% made in the USA. Since you want only MIDI control of your amp and want it in a small package I'd recommend a Mini Amp Gizmo: http://www.rjmmusic.com/miniampgizmo.php
It only uses one cable (you need to order the specific cable for your amp) that connects straight into your amp's footswitch jack, so you don't have to worry about using a separate cable for each 1/4" external switching jack. They give you the option of using the external switch jacks if you prefer, you just need a different cable. In my experience it's very easy to program, too.

The RJM products are a little pricier, but, they are feature rich and have custom features like the custom cable that will plug directly into your footswitch jack. That eliminates a lot of cable clutter. A Mesa factory tech recommended me to them when I got fed up with my crazy small and ever breaking footswitch for my Nomad 100. Very cool if you run stereo. - Pat.

Wouldn't I need 2 Mini Amp Gizmos7 if I ran 2 different amps for stereo if I used the amp cables?
Or is there a better way?
Right now, I am thinking:
- Heartbreaker on my side (Right) (because it's huge and there isn't much room on the bass player's side with his bass and keyboard amps) and either a DC-3 or Express 5:25 on the bass player's side.
- Or....Heartbreaker on my side and run the Left side into the PA from the G-Major, but I'm not sure if that will work because of the mono input on the G-Major.

I'm thinking that bringing my HB and a small amp will be a two fold win because I can use the other amp in a pinch if the HB has tube issues.

You wouldn't need 2 RJM Amp Gizmos. Now that I know what you are trying to control, I would recommend either (2) of the Voodoo Labs switchers or (1) RJM Amp Gizmo or (1) RJM Mini Amp Gizmo. You are fortunate that all the amps you listed has 1/4" jack control on all the functions - my Nomad does not. The Voodoo labs gives 4 switches and the Amp Gizmos give you 8. You would need more than 4 switches to control everything. If you only want channel switching you could get away with 4 switches. You need 1 switch per function and it's up to you to decide what you want. You need to look carefully at the RJM products. The Amp Gizmo has an 8 pin DIN jack plus 4 TRS switching jacks. The Mini Gizmo has only the 8 pin DIN jack and the only way to get it to 1/4" anything is buying the optional AC-4QTRS-10 cable that gives you 8 pin DIN to (4) 1/4" male TRS plugs out. The Voodoo Labs switcher has 4 1/4" mono jacks. Your DC3 has the only TRS jack out of all your mentioned amps - all the other switching is done through a mono 1/4" jack. You will be investing in some 1/4" TRS to (2) 1/4" mono adapter cables any way you go. The (2) Voodoo Labs switchers would be the cleanest with only 1 male 1/4" TRS plug to (2) 1/4" male mono plug adapter cables. The RJM Amp Gizmo would be in the middle with 3 male 1/4" TRS plug to (2) 1/4" male mono plug adapter cables. The RJM Mini Gizmo would be a little crazy because you would have the optional AC-4QTRS-10 cable coming out of the Mini Gizmo to 3 female 1/4" TRS jack to (2) 1/4" mono plug adapter cables. Now, if you are to physically split up your amps on stage, I would lean towards the Voodoo Labs switcher and run a long midi cable between them - done - $280. You could do the same thing with the RJM, but, two Mini Gizmos are $460 - the AC-4QTRS-10 cable is $50 each, and, two Music Amp Gizmos are $660. If you only use one RJM product you would be running mutiltiple guitar cables for the switching across the stage instead of one midi cable. None of these costs include the guitar cable, midi cabes or midi foot controller either. Are you confused yet? - Pat.

:lol: Thanks Pat!

I had actually thought that a Voodoo Lab switcher in the back of each amp would be the cleanest.
That way, I just have a midi cable from my G-Major to the closest amp, then a midi cable from that amp to the one on the other side.

:mrgreen: Of course, I will still have 3 signal cables going to the amp on the other side. 1 for input, 1 for Send, 1 for Return.
Time to start making snakes!

IMAG1643.jpg

IMAG1645.jpg

I did a little research and found that the cheapest yet effective way to set up MIDI control for 2 heads was getting 2 VooDoo Labs Control Switchers, and a Rocktron MIDImate. They work great with my two Dual Rectos, and were less than both GCX and RJM options that I was also considering. I use them every night on tour, they work great.

-AJH

i recently purchased a amp gizmo from rjm. works great. and according to the manual if you have the dedicated amp swtcher cable u can still use the 1/4 jacks for seperate amp and will change both at the same time. example being button 1 on the amp gizmo will be ch 1 on both amps button 2 ch 2 and so on. im gettin ready to try this with my dual recto and jcm2000 through a rewired roadking cab so i can blend the sounds live 8)

@MESAENGR412 -->
HI, maybe you have a minute to try to answer a question. I too have a Midimate and I'm setting it up with a Voodoo GCX audio loop unit. No prob getting the GCX to switch my MKV channels and switch presets of my G-maj 2 so here's my issue. In MM control "mode" I have BTN 5-9 set up with loops for MKV ch1,2,3,solo, Fx's etc. no problem but when I push any preset it ALWAYS turns the MKV channel back to ch1. So if I'm on amp Ch2 or Ch3 and change any preset it switches the amp ch. back to Ch1 every time. I know you have the different units but thought you might know why this happens. I'd also like to figure out how to program the MM to change presets which switch between amp channels simultaneously...A lot to ask but I'm throwing a wide net....Thanks for any advice...Grateful
Dave

I just grabbed a used Nobels MS4 off Ebay for $50. I will let you know how it works, but I read good things!

I am going to go the 1/4 cable route so i can easily unplug and switch between my Mark V and My Triple Rec. Otherwise I need custom cables to use the DINs for each amp....

Latest posts

Back