Standby use

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
How do you use the Standby ? I mean, how long do you leave your amp on Standby between sets ? Is there a maximum amount of time after wich it is better to close the amp ? As I understand it, the tubes stay hot when in Standby so I would like to know what's happening then, the pros and cons of putting on Standby vs closing and reopening the amp.
Is this different with each type of tubes : preamp tubes, power tubes, and in this case between EL-84, 6L6, etc. ?

This is not a Transatlantic specific question, I guess, but in case, I have a TA-30 and also a Traynor YCV 50.

Your amp should be fine on standby between sets or during breaks. I only turn my amp off if I'm done playing for more than a half hour or so.

In standby the heaters in the tubes stay on. There are different schools of thought on the standby switch. The one time using the standby switch is important, is when the amp is powered on from a cooled down state. You do not have to use the standby switch for breaks or put the amp in standby to turn it off. Of course it does not hurt anything to use it for those functions either.

Latest posts

Back