Help me choose an effects system please :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thalweg

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Eons ago I had a rack based guitar amp system with tons of rack effects, multiple amps, midi pedals and the usual nonsense that came with that...gain staging issues, phantom noise problems and all the hassles and back aches of a 10 ton rig. It was an overdone rig..that got really complex overtime.

since then I've sold all that crap and got myself a nice Mark V and have enjoyed the purest unadulterated tone...straight to the amp. Love IT!

Unfortunately this new band that I'm playing with has some covers that requires some extra modulated/delayed sounds and now I'm forced to get something to address it.

Can you help me choose the highest quality yet simplest solution? I've seen some all in one units? Are they worth it?

Don't really need any additional gain or overdrive...just really looking for some modulation and delay's really and oh yeah I have a crybaby wah.

So in a nutshell I'm out of touch with the latest in effects systems for live performance and could use a bit of help.

Thanks for any suggestions or advise in advance.

Depending on what you need - how many settings - how long a delay, etc... There is the BBE two timer, with i think 2 seperate settings in delay time (feedback same I think) - but for me, personally, I LOVE the MXR Carbon Copy - all this is simple - forget rack...

Two maybe three settings Short medium and long. What I am really looking for is GREAT engineering...high quality throughput...no noise degradation etc etc

Thanks for the advice I'll check out the MXR

no tone degradation = Eventide :D I've got an Eclipse but the modfactor would be enough for sure.

The timefactor unit is likely what I need. From what I've read great reputation. Thanks for that one!

If versatility and great sound quality is your thing go with Eventide gear (time, mod, pitch factor units). In my opinion these are the best bang for your buck. They're flexible, easy to use and sound way above the price you pay.

If you want analog, carbon copy is sweet and affordable. MXR make tons of great modulation stuff too (the tired and trues...Phase 90, Flanger, etc. ). More money but arguably finer sound.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Yeah - I sort of switched over all my effects to Dunlop (slash way) and MXR pedals, so I might be biased...lol - I guess though, with 3 settings, a rack thing would do best for you - or maybe some type of line 6 where you have more than 1 option... like their Line 6 Dl4 Delay Modeler, which will run a couple hundred, but you get a TON of sounds, and I think 4 presets for delay - which probably would be most convenient for you...

Anything TC Electronics is excellent and very transparent in the loop ie: Nova Repeater, Nova Delay, Nova System,etc. I've used TC gear for years and they're hands down my favorite.

I haven't tried out any of their compact Tone Print pedals yet. They look interesting, though.

Neptical said:
Anything TC Electronics is excellent and very transparent in the loop ie: Nova Repeater, Nova Delay, Nova System,etc. I've used TC gear for years and they're hands down my favorite.

I haven't tried out any of their compact Tone Print pedals yet. They look interesting, though.

I'm using the G System but I also have the TC Flashback Delay pedal.
It sounds great in the Loop of the Mark V. Very transparent & versatile pedal.
It has stereo capability, can be set to either true or buffered bypass & also has a Kill Dry facility for use in a parallel loop.

Competiticely priced as well! Sh1t I sound like a TC Salesman! :lol:

This is interesting.

Which is better the TC line up...GForce GSystem or Eventide Eclipse, and why.

I picked these three because I believe they are all close in price...I think.

Anyway I really am interested in the GSystem and Eclipse and wanted to know what anyone who is familiar with them thinks, thanks.

Sounds familiar ... when I bought my Mark V a few months ago, I sold off all my effects with the exception of my Teese wah. After enjoying the pure amp tones for a while, I decided it'd be nice to have something in the loop to grease things up a little at times.

Went with the TC Electronics Flashback first. Great little delay for the money - extremely versatile, behaves well in the V's loop, etc. and probably the coolest delay for my needs I've used to date.

I was so impressed with it, I picked up the TC Corona Chorus. The irony on that choice is that I've never been a big chorus fan and I was just looking for something to occasionally add a little extra shimmer/dimension to clean sounds. The CC sounds so nice w/ the Mark V regardless of which channel I'm using - it's one of those units that you can't really tell it's on but you can tell immediately if it's off.

I've only briefly dabbled with the Toneprint feature on the Flashback, but it strikes me as being a cool add-on should I need a creative jump-start or a specific setting I can't seem to dial on my own.

Definitely check out the TC Toneprint series.

I am using the G System as I said & am very pleased with it.
You can check out my other recent posts on the subject.

The G System has great effects & works well with the Mark V but you will most likely need to invest in some additional hardware (Buffers, Hum Eliminators, amp switcher) to get it sounding & working to full capability.

All this stuff can add up to a lot of extra cash so if you are just looking for the occasional effect usage then maybe the Toneprint series pedals may be a better option.

The good thing about the G System is you can set it up to pretty much switch everything on a patch by patch basis with a single footswitch press.
If you look at my posts you can see I am using 2 heads in stereo with both preamps running through the G system & I can switch from any channel on either head to any channel on the other with a single button press on the G system.
I am not a big Wah user but I quite like the G System Wah so that more than meets my needs.
Makes for a very simple set up at your feet.
Also you can still add in any old pedals that you still want to use & switch them in & out with the G system too. :mrgreen:

Now I DEFINITELY sound like a TC salesman! :lol:

to me, nothing compare the Eclipse, it's a real studio quality effects, not specially a guitar effects processor but I run it in W/d/w and this is the way to use it, in stereo.
In mono application, a G system would be as good as the Eclipse but I still prefer the eventide stuff for the natural/ warm/transparent sounding.
I've tried G force, G sytem but the one I keeped is the eventide.

Latest posts

Back