Quick Question.. Speakers - V-30 mix

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatCarfi76

Reaction score
OK - first - I can buy 2 celestian V-30's for $150.00 (or 4 with 1 dead for 200.00...lol).. I have a marshall 1960A slant - stock speakers (I think g-75's?)- I am thinking of buying the 2, and doing the X pattern in the Cab - which is what I use for my Mesa Triple Rec... ANy suggestions or comments on this sound - also, novice here - is switching out speakers hard....???????

Physically switching them out is fairly easy. Getting the wiring right so that it provides the right load (ohms) the amp requires a little bit of math.

all 16 ohm, so no difference... but do I need to solder? Like I said, never done this....

most speakers arnt soldered in. they just use clips.

Some companies do solder though . I just took some speakers out of an old combo that were factory soldered

cheameup said:

Some companies do solder though . I just took some speakers out of an old combo that were factory soldered

Every Mesa cab I've owned had factory soldered connections. I believe the 5150 cab I owned had soldered connections.

Nonetheless, crimping on a female spade connector isn't hard, and allows for easier speaker swaps.

I prefer V30s over any other speaker I've tried with a Recto. They just seem to fit better.

mikey383 said:
cheameup said:

Every Mesa cab I've owned had factory soldered connections. I believe the 5150 cab I owned had soldered connections.

there ya go. you learn something every day

Modern Marshall cabs (apart from the expensive Hand Wired series) use push connectors.

Mesa and a very few (at least outside the boutique market) other companies still solder them. I'd be surprised if Peavey did - they've used push-connectors on every amp of theirs I can remember since the 1970s. If you had a Peavey cab with soldered connections (that you didn't buy new) I would expect someone improved it.

If the cab has push connectors you don't need any tools other than a screwdriver to change speakers. Just be careful you don't poke it through a cone, and remember which way round the wires go on each speaker :).

Latest posts

Back