Studio Preamp As A Live Rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Anyone using their Studio Preamp as their live rig? I was wondering if people are able to get both a good clean sound and a good OD sound out of the unit? Thanks!

Matt

i am. I'm using it with a hafler t3 preamp too. I leave my clean to be broken up. I use the hafler for my clean.

I used mine live with a 20/20 and a 50/50. Sounded OK, but not fantastic. I set the tone and gain for lead, which I used 90% of the time. For clean I used an EQ to get a bit better tone, but it was never very good.

I still have it, but for studio use only. Now I have a Triaxis for live.

I used to use it for the majority of my tones, both clean and distorted. I thought excelled all around, though I wasn't doing anything in the metal vein. I actually haven't done any gigs on guitar since I retired it out of my live rig, but the only reason I wouldn't still use it that way is I've moved to just a Mark III head so I can keep the Studio Pre at home.

Whilst I haven't played live with my studio pre I have jammed and recorded with it. I play metal and thus require a heavy rhythm/ lead tone and a nice round clean tone. I can get both out of my pre with very little compromise. My settings are (off the top of my head):

Volume: 8
Master: 6
Treble: 8
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
Reverb: whatever
Lead drive : 10
Lead Master: 1 3/4

GEQ is set to 'Auto' and has the following settings

80Hz: on centre line
240Hz: just above centre line
750Hz: fully scooped out
2200Hz: under top line
6600Hz: halfway between centre and top lines.

Rhythm bright is OFF, Lad fat is ON and Lead bright is OFF.

I see - your thread title says 'Studio' but your sig says 'Formula'...
ANyway, I basically set up the clean (rhythm) sound to be a pushed as possible without breaking up and then checking that the lead was saturated enough, which is was :D
This is because the studio's lead channel is fed by the rhythm one, not sure if that's how the formula's works too?

Happy playing!

Sorry for the confusion :oops: Actually, when I posted originally, I was considering snagging a Studio Preamp, but in the interim, I swapped a guy for a Formula Preamp. The jury is still out about whether to go with the Formula or the Studio at all vs. the usual head/combo route. Nonetheless, thanks again for taking the time to respond to the post 8)

Matt

Latest posts

Back