Mark V channel changing problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtPatton

Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to buy Mark V. However, I get a loud "pop" sound when I change channel. Does anybody have an idea, how to get rid of this? I'm using my midi rig to change channels. Chain is: Midi controller -> Voodoo Lab Control Switcher -> Mark V ext. switches.

I don't have this problem when I use MK V's own switching pedal.

MK V seems also having a lot of amplifier hum through speakers. Does anybody else have this problem?

Did you try switching channels few rounds first when the amp is still on standby ?

I get a pop sound if my channels aren't in matching wattage modes. Otherwise it's fine, but I'm only using the amp's footswitch.

I only notice hum if I switch between Pentode and Triode on Ch3, but it's very slight.

Does your amp hum on every channel? Is the hum a low frequency or an interference/shielding type noise? Possibly a tube replacement could fix it.

SgtPatton said:
Well, I finally decided to buy Mark V. However, I get a loud "pop" sound when I change channel. Does anybody have an idea, how to get rid of this? I'm using my midi rig to change channels. Chain is: Midi controller -> Voodoo Lab Control Switcher -> Mark V ext. switches.

When using my G-System for a switcher I found the relays on the G-System were too slow and switching channels wasn't seamless. For example, when going from channels 1 to channel 3 channel 2 would be triggered on for a slit second, causing a sh*tty sounding transition (I could tell by watching the channel lights on the front of the amp). In my case I experimented with using different relays on the G-System until I found two that operated the best. Now my Mark V switches normally.

If that fails, the RJM Amp Gizmo supposedly works really well as it triggers the amp using the same momentary relays as your amp's footswitch.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/ampgizmo.php

MK V seems also having a lot of amplifier hum through speakers. Does anybody else have this problem?

My Mark V's lead channel isn't as quiet as my other amps, but it's producing a lot of gain so it's to be expected. The remainder of the channels are quiet, including the lead channel if I run the gain set more moderately.

That said, have you checked your rig for ground loops? If you go guitar - cord - amp - cord - speaker with nothing else connected to the amp (no rack, nothing in loop, control switcher disconnected from relays) does it still hum the same way?

Thank you all for your answers. Popping sounds and loud hum occurred on all channels, even when master volume was at zero. I also checked possible ground loops, no help there.

I took it to maintenance. Hopefully they'll fix it.

Check my my post on Reverb hum as the hum that is caused by the reverb being backwards is always there even when the controls are down. Check it out and let everyone know.. this might help half of your issues.
dgr888

Latest posts

Back