JUST got my first Mesa amp - it's a triple rectifier beast..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatCarfi76

Reaction score
OK - well, I just bought my first Mesa Amp - it is a Mesa Triple Rectifier. I wanted the dual - couldn't afford new on either model - so I hit Craigslist here in Nashville area. Well - a dual sold for 800.00 I think an hour before I got the guy - but I managed to pick up a Triple Rectifier for $750.00... So, the amp I have lusted over from afar for so many years is now mine. :D

I was looking for general opinions - obviously I am a noob - I am 35, but never owned one - and all of these mods I am seeing sound so appealing, but honestly, I haven't been with my amp long enough to know what is good or bad yet, only that I am still LOVING the sounds... and besides - I have never even used a soldering iron...lol

So I have a few questions. Does this amp work well with a few pedals? I have a Rocktron short delay, a slash wah, MXR phaser, Boss tu-3 tuner, BBE sonic stomp, and though I can't see me using it, a boss sd-1 super-overdrive, and a bad monkey. Basically, I have read so much on what is good, and bad - its freaking dizzying - what are some suggestions on how to set these up (front/loop - which is parallel I believe) - does the amp even like pedals, do I need to go rack?

Also, does anyone know what a decent solder gun would be for me to get a hold of when I do start tinkering around?

Finally - I play a 1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom, with the Tim Shaw pick-ups in it (low gain, which I like better).... play hard rock/modern rock - not too into metal...lol - Thanks in advance for any advice. - Mat

"YOUR AMPLIFIER IS LOUD! EXPOSURE TO HIGH SOUND VOLUMES MAY CAUSE PERMANENT HEARING DAMAGE !" :!: :!: :!:

Welcome. It will handle non overdrive stuff in the effects loop just fine. Even if you don't use the loop keep the send and return level @ noon, unless you put it in loop bypass mode.

Your amp is designed to play arenas and, on 10, with a decent cab, will ionize everything within a 2 mile radius. Be careful, good luck, happy playing.

- Pat.

lol - arena volume - now there is a concept..... Now I just need the band - feel like Bill and Ted here.... lol - OK, so regardless of what I run through it, keep the dials to noon... My wah and if I use some type of OD pedal, in front of the amp... Has anybody used the sonic stomp on here with either a dual or triple rectifier? ALso - at normal playing volumes, and my going to need to gate the amp through the loop?

A sonic Maximizer through a Recto sounds like garbage. That has previously been the overall vote.

MatCarfi76 said:
lol - arena volume - now there is a concept..... Now I just need the band - feel like Bill and Ted here.... lol - OK, so regardless of what I run through it, keep the dials to noon... My wah and if I use some type of OD pedal, in front of the amp... Has anybody used the sonic stomp on here with either a dual or triple rectifier? ALso - at normal playing volumes, and my going to need to gate the amp through the loop?

It's common to use a boost in front of a Recto. I'm not personally into doing it, but a lot of people get great sounds that way. The typical way to do it is to set the pedal's gain on zero and level on ten (tone to taste). It ups the midrange content and tightens the bottom end a bit. Useful for more extreme forms of metal.

The Sonic Stomp sucks the midrange out of things. It sounds good at first, but after awhile you'll start to feel like it robbing you of something.

The noise gate is only necessary if you feel you need it. If your not getting a lot of noise then it's one less thing you need mucking up your signal path. When I use them I prefer to run them in front of the amp since it simplifies things. The issue with using a gate in the loop can be troublesome with a multi-channel amp as settings that work great for high gain rhythm may cut off your clean tones and lead lines. Plus the loop is parallel, so even with the gate closed there's still going to be a parallel signal going through to the power amp.

Some good advice here already, just gonna add my 0.02€ :)D)

Using a boost is pretty common (the SD-1 is also a pedal that is commonly used) and as daisy said, usually for metal. But the "Level max Drive 0 Tone to taste" thing can really work for anything. The head has a solo boost but even if you're using lower gain tones you can slam the SD-1 for your solo lines, adds some nice mids for the guitar to really sing due to the bass cut/mid boost/treble roll-off.

About the Sonic stomp - yes, ditch it (not get rid of it if you like it but I wouldn't be caught DEAD using it with an amp). I always tell people to ditch it for the same reason as screamingdaisy stated - it sounds good at first but then you realize everyone but you thinks your tone sucks. It's like that time when you started out and put the Bass and Treble to max and mids on 0 and it sounded all awesome until you grew up (my story to be exact ^^).

Also agree on using the modulation stuff (delay, Phase) in the loop - though Phase is an effect I'd try in front as well (ask EVH how he likes his xD). Experiment! That's the fun thing about getting new gear, you never know how it will interact with your old gear.

My best advice though would be to just plug into the amp with no gunk surrounding it and get to know the beast on it's own.

Congrats on your new Recto, and Welcome to The Board!

That's a beast of an amp for sure, and a Triple was my first Rectifier as well.

Lots of good advice here, and there is a lot of great members willing to help so don't be afraid to throw out some questions if you have them. We were all newbies at one time!

If you do not have the amp's manual go download it from http://www.MesaBoogie.com

It's more than just your basic manual, it goes into great depth on explaining your amp, and how the controls work and interact. Read it cover to cover, then read it again!

Also, if you plan on changing any preamp tubes, you need to be aware of the "cathode follower" positions and the problems associated with using certian tubes there, mostly anything from New Sensor Corp, which include Sovtek, Electro-Harmonix & Tung-Sol reissues (popular current production tubes). You can read about it here:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25102&start=19

And I will also advise you not to use the Sonic Stomp.

Have fun with it and ROCK ON!!!

Dom

Let me expand on my reply - with nothing in the loop keep the send and return at noon as these controls are in the mix even if the loop is not used. If you are using the loop you will need to fiddle with the send and return levels. There are recommendations on the levels in the manual to start with.

Arenas - yes. I have heard that if you approach 9 on the gains and output, simultaneously, that a portal to Hell will open, that can not be closed, and you will be sucked into the abyss, never to be heard of again - fair warning.

- Pat.

Congrats. That is such a good feeling. I remember my first Mesa amp, which was a Roadster. I fricken loved that amp. Then I went crazy with Mesa. Rented a Mark V; spent hours with an ED; used a regular 3-channel Recto at a gig ... the fever has never gone away since. I love Mesa's and their flexibility. Hooray for YOU!

Definitely appreciate all the advice... and yes - I AM SELLING A SONIC STOMP if anyone wants one..lol - it sucked ... I am going to stay away from putting my effects in the loop at the moment, just basically from all the story's I am hearing... I am using a MXR noise clamp in front (basically you run a loop from it) to keep the pedal noise down, but not really to gate my amp. I personally LOVE the tone I have gotten, need a hall to practice in though... the beast is LOUD - my neighbor came to my door, said he wanted to see it. He is half deaf, and said it sounded like my amp was right next to him...lol - I am not a wattage junkie, but still makes me smile. Other than the Boss SD-1, which I will use for lead, the rest of my effects I would say (exception, slash wah) - will be for clean sounds... I think the BBE serves a bass better than the guitar tones... Again, appreciate all the advice on here, very grateful to have a place like this to talk to people about this amp... cheers

Latest posts

Back