James' tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

Unless, A: the acoustic is DI out to front of house, or B: the acoustic is going through the POD X3 and when James changes from acoustic tone to Electric/distortion tone his good 'ol guitar tech changes his patch via the Voodoo Lab GCP midi foot controller.

I would think the acoustic is going out dry regardless if its DI or patched through the POD X3.

Screamingdaisy: hopefully I read your statement correctly? :D

re-reading your post, I guess I'm confused to which two rigs you're referring to?

myownself26 said:
re-reading your post, I guess I'm confused to which two rigs you're referring to?

If he's playing his acoustic and his electric at the same time, he'd need two rigs. One being his regular electric rig, and the other being his acoustic DI.

The performance I'm thinking of he had one guitar still ringing when he started playing the other.

Well, he technically has several rigs. He has a custom Mesa amp selector with the option of 4 different amps in any different combination. which I'm sure you already know.

1. mesa triaxis #1
2. Mesa triaxis #2
3. Diezel VH4
4. Line 6 POD X3

yet, if you heard two different sounds, that means the acoustic is NOT going through the POD and is DI and goes to front of house bypassing his rig altogether. Leaving the POD solely used for his regular clean tone simulating the JC-120 tone along with the triaxis #2.

that would be my guess 8)

Look at THIS. (YT link)

It's nice to see Metallica playing small venue like this with "classic bar/pub band setup" :))

What revision do you think these Blackface Rectos are?

r0nn!e said:
Look at THIS. (YT link)

It's nice to see Metallica playing small venue like this with "classic bar/pub band setup" :))

What revision do you think these Blackface Rectos are?

Those are Rev G Triples.

Well... so that's probably why I ended up buying Rev G. blackface triple... (-:

I've always felt that Metallica is a band that has very seldom been recorded in live situations in a way that truly represents how the band (especially the guitars) sounds from the perspective of being in the crowd, and they sound huge live. For me their tone always sounds so small and thin in these Met On Tour vids that I can't even watch them. I always prefer live recordings that don't come off the soundboard and capture the acoustics of the venue and crowd. Alot of the time I think the amateur vids I see on youtube sound better than the Met On Tour stuff.

James tone's nothing near what you hear in that vid! Did you ever been at a Metallica concert? Their tone's FU**ING HUGE! I was at the Big4 in Milan (where that vid was taken) and their tone (drums more than guitars) was crazy huge and warm, nothing I've ever heard in any clip, only S&M sounds pretty close to what they sound live (about modern tone). Sure since James added the Diezel to his rig his tone gained a certain harshiness on the top end and is bit less low-middy but the overall Triaxis "cream" is still the 90% of his tone.

Latest posts

Back