New Mesa/Boogie Rack Product Ideas

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ryjan said:
Neptical said:
ryjan said:
How about a 2 space unit 5 band GEQ? Maybe 2 channels with 2 seperate eq's and a switchable preset knob that is independant of the geq just like the Mark V's. Midi switchable of course.
This would make 4 different eq curves available. The perfect addition to a non-geq Mark amp or recto.

Like a new and improved Boogie Quad? I'd be ready for that, no doubt.
Not a preamp. Just the analog graphic eq.

Ahhh, gotcha! Yeah, that would be pretty **** rad.

The GEQ circuit is really very simple. You could build a 4-channel switchable version easily enough. Even easier if you make 4 preset versions (like in the Triaxis).

http://www.doctorvintage.com/amps/pampmod.html

I love my rack gear running in stereo, but I guess it would be cool to have a switch between mono and stereo.

I also use a Palmer PDI-03. It would be awesome to have a DI box built into the amp (power amp or mesa mark V) as well. That eliminates another piece of gear in my rig and makes life that much more clean.

These are some pretty cool ideas. I hope that the Mesa guys are listening.

MesaGod666 said:
I also use a Palmer PDI-03. It would be awesome to have a DI box built into the amp (power amp or mesa mark V) as well. That eliminates another piece of gear in my rig and makes life that much more clean.

It would be cool if Mesa built something along the lines of a Palmer, but voiced specifically to achieve the Mesa cab tones (ie, Recto/Stiletto 4x12, open back C90 1x12, etc) tonality.

screamingdaisy said:
MesaGod666 said:

It would be cool if Mesa built something along the lines of a Palmer, but voiced specifically to achieve the Mesa cab tones (ie, Recto/Stiletto 4x12, open back C90 1x12, etc) tonality.
Maybe just do 3 voicings for a built in DI. "Dark" "Normal" and "Bright" perhaps?
Or the can do like Randall and have them built into the speaker cabs themselves.

ryjan said:
screamingdaisy said:
MesaGod666 said:

Maybe just do 3 voicings for a built in DI. "Dark" "Normal" and "Bright" perhaps?
Or the can do like Randall and have them built into the speaker cabs themselves.

Totally. I think that this would be a natural progression for all Mesa amps along with MIDI Control, LED Tube Failure Notification, and their generally renown badassery.

How's this for an idea, all the previous mentioned upgrades put into a single space rack power amp that uses either (2) EL34's or (2) 6L6's or one of each to replace the 20/20 power amp that is being discontinued. Kind of like a mini 2-95 power amp with some new features but less wattage.

Who wouldn't want such an amp for a easily portable rig?

Rob227 said:
How's this for an idea, all the previous mentioned upgrades put into a single space rack power amp that uses either (2) EL34's or (2) 6L6's or one of each to replace the 20/20 power amp that is being discontinued. Kind of like a mini 2-95 power amp with some new features but less wattage.

I would be shocked if they don't release a pimped out version of the 20/20 that is similar to the 2:Ninety in features, but retains the low wattage power of its predecessor.

I'd like to see a power amp that has these features:

A) progressive linkage that allows the following:
i) 2 EL34's or 2 6L6GC's in parallel single-ended class A
ii) 2 EL34's in 50 watts A/B
iii) 2 6L6GC's in 50 watts A/B
iv) 2 EL34's & 2 6L6GC's in 100 watts A/B
B) MIDI
C) tube rectified or silicon diodes on any output tube pattern selected
D) depth & resonance & modern/vintage controls
E) digitally controlled like the Triaxis but all tube like the Triaxis!
i) You could store 99 different settings or something:
a) program 1: EL34's in class A with diodes...resonance 8.4 depth 3.5 modern
b) program 2: EL34's in 50 watts with tube rectifier...etc.

I'm guessing such a power amp would cost as much as a new Triaxis if not more, but it'd be so worth it! Would make me go back to racks!

I'm anything but an expert on Mesa product history, but didn't they use to make rack versions of heads?

A rack Mark V or RoadKing would be the ****!

Jackie said:
I'm anything but an expert on Mesa product history, but didn't they use to make rack versions of heads?

Yes. It worked well with the simpler designs they used to have, however the modern designs take up more space.

A rack Mark V or RoadKing would be the sh!t!

Rather than modifying the amp to fit the rack you can modify the rack to fit the amp.

HeadRack.jpg

You could buy this:
mesadualrack.jpg

This:
339d1038532839-rackmount-mesa-rectifier-recording-pre-rectopreampfrtlgr.jpg

Or this for your mark amps: (I use this, it is nice)
kit-rksl.jpg

You could fit a mark V short head in one

I don't see the point in "rackifying" amps that already kick *** (i.e. RoadKing, Mark V, etc) and that use 100% of the space in their current chassis. Building a road case for the amp head + rack is probably a more fiscally viable way to go about rackifying these amps to begin with.

I would much rather have our friends at Mesa focusing on how to make killer products that have a natural evolution incorporated into the design and still deliver the tonal goods year after year. The Triaxis is long overdue for this type of revision.

If they could make the triaxis's rhythm and lead 1 channels sound just like channel 1 and 2 on the Mark V it would be killer. Leave lead 2 alone.
How about instead of the dynamic voice they have the Mark V's contour control and a seperate "mix" control that adjusts the ammount of signal going through the contour instead of the preset way it's done now.
Of course they could simply leave the Triaxis alone and I would still buy one. :lol:

MesaGod666 said:
Rob227 said:

I would be shocked if they don't release a pimped out version of the 20/20 that is similar to the 2:Ninety in features, but retains the low wattage power of its predecessor.

A low power versatile power amp would be the best thing since sliced milk ! I would buy a Simul-Class 2:Twenty with four EL84s and four 6V6 tubes. Add some tricks that you could also run it with a single EL34, 6L6, KT88 or whatever bulb you have laying around like the THD UniValve.

mmm, two single ended KT88s in stereo:

large_homer.drool.jpg

A Mark V short head would be a dream -- i.e. can be racked in a standard 19" rack like the Mark IV, but alas... won't happen. My friends at Mesa informed me at least a year ago that as much as they would love to offer that, the new board in a Mark V and related components can't fit into a 19" wide enclosure, so it would be a major redesign that requires a new physical board inside.

It is very easy to order custom rack cases that have a space for a Mark V head in the bottom and then 19" rack spaces above it.

If you want great MIDI control over your Mark V -- everything you can do with the footswitch, at least, RJM Music Technology has the RG-16 and Amp Gizmo that will give you simple MIDI control over everything.

Triaxis... I would LOVE to see a new Triaxis II that contains the preamp section from the Road King II instead of the Mark-series preamp circuits. A new design is in order, though, as the interface for scrolling through the various settings and loop, etc. is a pain in the ***. I used my 2:Ninety power amp with the RJM RG-16 and this gave me instant single-button access to selecting Loop settings, and Modern or Half Power settings, etc. instead of the ridiculous way you have to scroll through the options on the Triaxis.

Interface is old on the Triaxis rig, but hey, at least it sounds great overall :).

Scott

scottkahn said:
A Mark V short head would be a dream -- i.e. can be racked in a standard 19" rack like the Mark IV, but alas... won't happen. My friends at Mesa informed me at least a year ago that as much as they would love to offer that, the new board in a Mark V and related components can't fit into a 19" wide enclosure, so it would be a major redesign that requires a new physical board inside.

It is very easy to order custom rack cases that have a space for a Mark V head in the bottom and then 19" rack spaces above it.

If you want great MIDI control over your Mark V -- everything you can do with the footswitch, at least, RJM Music Technology has the RG-16 and Amp Gizmo that will give you simple MIDI control over everything.

Triaxis... I would LOVE to see a new Triaxis II that contains the preamp section from the Road King II instead of the Mark-series preamp circuits. A new design is in order, though, as the interface for scrolling through the various settings and loop, etc. is a pain in the ***. I used my 2:Ninety power amp with the RJM RG-16 and this gave me instant single-button access to selecting Loop settings, and Modern or Half Power settings, etc. instead of the ridiculous way you have to scroll through the options on the Triaxis.

Interface is old on the Triaxis rig, but hey, at least it sounds great overall :).

Scott

I felt that the RECTO RECORDING PREAMP covered the ROAD KING tones quite faithfully.

I say keep the Triaxis Mark Series oriented by factoring the Mark V EXTREME mode into the amp.

MesaGod666 said:
I felt that the RECTO RECORDING PREAMP covered the ROAD KING tones quite faithfully.

I say keep the Triaxis Mark Series oriented by factoring the Mark V EXTREME mode into the amp.

I would have to agree with you, because the Road King IS a Dual Rectifier amp, and its heavy modern sound is the same as what you'd get in a traditional Dual Recto. But of course you really want to pair it with the 2:100 Recto power amp to get the most authentic recto tone. It wouldn't sound the same with any other power amp in the Mesa lineup.

Back