voltage

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
It's the second power tube that blows out on my TA30. I'm ignorant about almost everything that concerns electricity but I was wondering if this had to do with the voltage in this particular place where I jam. I tested it yesterday and it indicated that the voltage was oscillating between 127 and 128. Do you know if this is too much above the "normal" 120 volts for the TA30 ?

Well ! No answer after a week ! At least it makes me feel good not being the only one to ignore those electical things :)

I had two different answers from two amp techs ! The best thing would be to ask Mesa but I can't find an email adress. Does someone know the best way to get to Mesa ?

GuyB said:
Well ! No answer after a week ! At least it makes me feel good not being the only one to ignore those electical things :)

I had two different answers from two amp techs ! The best thing would be to ask Mesa but I can't find an email adress. Does someone know the best way to get to Mesa ?
You can call them at (707) 778-6565. Here's their website: http://www.mesaboogie.com/

Thanks Dodger. But I already knew about the phone number and the web site. I was hoping for an email adress because even if I can write and understand written English, it's not the same at all when I try to speak it !!

GuyB said:
Thanks Dodger. But I already knew about the phone number and the web site. I was hoping for an email adress because even if I can write and understand written English, it's not the same at all when I try to speak it !!
You might be better off starting the conversation with a service tech who can then give you an email address. Or maybe the operator will give you e-mail address.

Mesa used to post on here as "AuthorizedBoogie". Perhaps you could send that user name a private message and see if they respond.

Hi Guy -

I'm not exactly sure of the context of your post since it mentions nothing specific about what's happening to the 'second' tube in your amp, BUT...

127-128 is pretty high and not the best thing for any amp to operate at consistently. Mesa tests and designs all it's amps with a fairly steady and regulated 117V. Keeping in mind that if ALL voltages in the amp are affected by your line voltage, the voltages and current to the tubes goes up as well. 122-123 is somewhat common and reasonable enough although possibly where problems may begin. 127-128 is rather high and definitely a voltage that would cause the weakest link in a set of tubes to show itself, if not just outright fail.

Hope this helps.

Boogie

Thanks for that information. My mains voltage runs high where I live and I have seen 253V (240 nominal) recently. Plate voltage and tube current are both at the limits. I'm going to look at getting a voltage stabilizer for home use.

Thanks Boogie,

Sorry for the "unclear" English. What I wanted to say is that I had two tubes that failed (burned out) but not at the same time. After replacing the first one, another one failed (a week later).

Curiously, I played at this same place (where there is that 128 V) two times since the last tube failed without any problems. I don't know if the tech that changed the tubes changed something else in the amp. (I never saw this tech, I just brought the amp to the store where I bought it - because the warranty - and they send the amp to the tech).

JJ mentioned a "voltage stabilizer for home use". Is this an answer to my problem ? Is this something that I could put between the wall socket and the amp ? And how much does it cost ?

Thanks again for the infos.

I don't work for these guys or own any stock in them. I've heard good things about them though. I would have purchased one for use with my Roadster, but it's got the "built-in variac."

http://shop.vintagesoundworkbench.com/product.sc?productId=5&categoryId=1

I didn't have anything in mind. We used to have voltage stabilizers made for us at work for sensitive equipment. The box contained a feroresonant transformer. Input voltage could be anywhere from 220V to 260V (we have 240V mains in my country) and the oupout would stay within a volt or so of 240V.

Those Amp maniac and amp preserver products look very good. I think Weber also has a similar product too.

Back