SED Tube Roll

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.

I do not know.

The technician at TubeDepot spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with me over several phone calls during a three to four week period as I explored all the "rolling" possibilities out there.

During this time period I was reading hundreds of posts on the subject and trying to come to a consensus with regards to expectations when taking into account my Tremverbs and my own ear.

It is almost impossible to read someones opinion about what they use in their respective amps and how it relates to what they hear and then apply it to any given situation let alone your own.

If you take into consideration all the variables...hmmm even the room variability plays a huge role in this equation.

So imagine everything else that lends itself to perception and interpretation...so it is very difficult to draw a conclusion short of a view from 30,000 feet.

Having said that, I took the plunge.

The 6L6s sounded very cold. My strings felt like stiff cables.

Now my strings feel flexible and the sound is warm. I am hoping they will open up more and deliver a more shimmering, chimey, belltone sound with a few more hours of play.

Whereas the EL34s sound incredible after only two hours of play.

Just a newbie report so don't bash my learning process...LOL.

TremoJem, I don't think you need to apologise for anythying. Even people with a lot of experience get things wrong.

It doesn't really matter if it is your perception or the tubes that change. I was just trying to show that often we assume that its our gear when it is also entirely possible our organic human brains have as much to do with it.

Glad to hear you are getting towards what you want without having spent a fortune. I was expecting to have to go through a pile of tubes myself, but got lucky first time with the SED 6L6. Still looking for that ultimate 12ax7 though :roll:

Thank you JJ.

I appreciate it.

I do agree with you regarding our own ears hearing what may not be there etc.

I too am going to move onto the preamp section once I settle the output section once and for all.

I really want to be sure I am familiar enough with the changes to the output before I jump into the preamp section.

I think I will swap the output tubes in my two Tremoverbs to see if the perception I have of them follows the tubes or stays with the amps.

That will prove interesting.

I have some new Tung-Sol 12AX7 New Production tubes and some 12AT7WC JAN Philips that I want to roll after I get settled on the output tubes.

I will post my findings.

Thanks again JJ.

Nice that the SEDs sound good after all, that's what matters, right? :mrgreen:

I'm not surprised the EL34s sound good - I agree completely, I have had them in my Marshall since day 1 and they still kick ***. Also, my tech built his own custom amp and he put SED 6L6s in his power section and his amp kicks *** in megatons, so I gotta love this brand !! :lol:

If you're looking for the ultimate current production 12AX7, I can recommend the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7. Great preamp tube. warm and musical. Only problem is that it's not suitable for high-voltage positions (like cathode follower). I'm also fond of Chinese Shuguang factory 12AX7s (rebranded by TAD, Ruby, GrooveTubes and can also be bought as a factory direct item "Shuguang 12AX7B") - these you can stick anywhere and they are more on the aggressive side but that's exactly why I like 'em. I don't like JJs at all (at least in my Marshall), they're too gainy and have this wierd upper mid "thing".

I love reading these tube threads because my Mesa sounds great already as it is, but the tubes in there are sub-par IMO (ESPECIALLY the power tubes). I can't wait to retube it and smile like an idiot!!!

I know what you mean.

i found this months ago.

I am now addicted.

But only while not playing.

Try your Tung-Sol new production in V1. I'm been doing that for a while, changed my amp completely, for the better.

Latest posts

Back