The Rectifier FAQ Thread

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But you know...those speakerless cabs can easily achieve "bedroom" levels! :lol:

Really, Fluff...great post!! Lots of good basic information for everybody. Thanks 8)

YellowJacket said:
I thought the purpose of this threat was to keep more unsuspecting ungulates from being beaten to death and beyond!!

I meant the arguing over whether or not an unloaded cab in a forest can be heard if no one is around to hear it fall...

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:
I thought the purpose of this threat was to keep more unsuspecting ungulates from being beaten to death and beyond!!

I meant the arguing over whether or not an unloaded cab in a forest can be heard if no one is around to hear it fall...
Only if a bear shat upon it first. :lol:
If indeed a bear would in fact do such a thing within the woods.

I think I might be one of the newbies that fluff had in mind when making the general reference thread, and for that I thank him.

I've had my Triple Recto for about 3.5 years now. There have been times I almost gave up. It is a veritable laboratory of different tones and sounds.

I agree with triple. I'm new to to the Mesa Boogie world and I have tons of questions and everyone here has been very helpful.

Fluff's post just solved two issues for me. I was wondering about those "pops" when I first switched channels, good not to have to worry about that anymore. I also noticed that my amp would make a "zzzzt" sound when I would power it up, soon after that my effects loop when out. After reading Fluff's FAQ, I swapped out the tube for the effects loop and it started working again!!

Quick question; I do noticed that all the lights on my bigfoot light up when I first power up my amp. Is that normal?

Thanks for the FAQ!!

Addictedtokaos said:
boosting has been a popular subject lately. Any chance of adding some quick guidlines /how to ?

? Get a booster/overdrive/distortion and put it in front of the amp.. no real trick to it. Usually leave gain low, volume high.

Addictedtokaos said:
boosting has been a popular subject lately. Any chance of adding some quick guidlines /how to ?

Yeah sure I can put something up regarding boosting.

Dont Dial in Settings/Tones with your eyes. Use your ears its what theyre there for!

In response to the question of boosting, Rectifiers, in my experience prefer boost pedals that have more of an emphasis on the high mids than the low mids, considering the Rectifier series is a bit more low mid voiced and grindy. The Maxon OD820 Pro, Maxon OD808, and Boss SD-1 are my favorite boosts with the Recto; the OD808 and SD-1 will give you quite a bit more "sheen" than the OD820.

As per settings, I usually run gain a little under 9:00, tone anywhere from 10:00 to 1:00, and level anywhere from 12:00 to 2:00 depending on the guitar in question. Boosts should always go in front of the amplifier.

Also, the FAQ is really right; the Rectifier/Stiletto Cabinets are definitely the best sounding enclosures for the Rectifier series amps. I have owned 9 different cabinets with varying speaker elements, and I keep going back to the Recto Cab :D

Hey all, I had the channel 3/4 volume drop-out issue over the weekend after switching my Roadking II into spongy mode. After some searching, I found the threads about the Chinese v Russian tubes and after some tube swapping, my amp is working again. It might be good to add that info into your FAQ. I'm sure a lot of people are still running into this problem.

Also, I'm a little nervous about going back into spongy mode even though I have Chinese tubes in V3/V5. Does anyone else play consistenly in spongy mode without any issues? Also, are the newer pre-amp tubes that Mesa uses immune to this problem? Should I change them all to the newer re-labeled JJ tubes if I'm going to be playing in Spongy mode quite a bit?

Gunnski said:
Also, I'm a little nervous about going back into spongy mode even though I have Chinese tubes in V3/V5. Does anyone else play consistenly in spongy mode without any issues? Also, are the newer pre-amp tubes that Mesa uses immune to this problem? Should I change them all to the newer re-labeled JJ tubes if I'm going to be playing in Spongy mode quite a bit?

So far as I understand the issue only involves New Sensor (Russian) tubes.

On that note, I wish I could find a source for NOS (pre 2008) EHX preamp tubes.

Gunnski said:
Hey all, I had the channel 3/4 volume drop-out issue over the weekend after switching my Roadking II into spongy mode. After some searching, I found the threads about the Chinese v Russian tubes and after some tube swapping, my amp is working again. It might be good to add that info into your FAQ. I'm sure a lot of people are still running into this problem.

Good call.

Q: I can't seem to get enough gain out of my Recto. Is there something wrong?

A: Yes. You may need to go back to your Line 6 Spider combo.
This is hilarious to me because my first amp was a Line 6 Spider II 150 2x12! Great first amp but, it gave way to the Roadster! Good practice/backup though....

Back