Peavey JSX combo.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
I've been looking to add an amp to the stable that is tighter and has a more british character to the gain. I was looking into the stiletto and then I tried a JSX combo at one of the shops where I teach and was pretty impressed. I was still dead set on the Stiletto when I found a JSX 212 combo in excellent condition on Craigslist for $500 in the next town over from me so I pulled the trigger. I felt like I couldn't pass up the deal for the price. I played with it a little this afternoon and I'm very happy. It does a lot of things my Roadster just won't do like VHesque tones, and tight 80's crunch sounds. Now I can spend more time letting my roadster be itself when I play it rather than trying to make into another amp.

The cleans sound really nice; not quite as lush and magical as the Roadster but still pretty **** good. The clean channel has an enormous amount of headroom. Unlike the Roadster you find yourself dialing down the clean channel master to get a good balance with the dirt channels

Your's a combo, well here's a top and 4x12"
PeaveyJSX.jpg

Update-I tried the jsx with my recto cab and it sounds amazing with v30s-So much better than the stock speakers. The crunch channel is so tight and harmonics just leap off the guitar; It's great for 80's tones. This channel alone is worth the $500 I spent for the amp. I am currently having casters and a set of v30s installed wired for 8 ohms rather than the 16 ohm load it comes with. This way I can use the internal speakers and the recto cab for a total load of 4 ohms and get both a closed and open back sound together.
While the Jsx is out for mods I've been playing my Roadster the past couple days and really loving it. It's nice to have very different sounding amps so you can appreciate their strengths rather than focus on the sounds you can't get out of them.

Congrats on the JSX.

I own the head version. It's a ripper amp. So easy to get good tones, especially at low volumes. At the moment, I run mine through the Rectoverb cab (Rectoverb amp not on!) and sounds surprisingly good. I've got 2 C90 speakers that I need to build cabs for but haven't the time as yet. Peavey make some great amps and for the price of them, they're a steal. In Aus, the 2nd/h price is the way to go. New, the JSX is a little pricey here (some stores still sell them even though they're discontinued).

Another good amp, I think, is the Carvin X100B. Been viewing youtube videos lately and jeez it sounds good. The price here in Aus is about $1200AU new. Unbelievably good price. Must be the strong Aussie dollar.

Agree 100% with everything you said about letting a recto be a recto.

And yes, I wish the 'extra' came with my amp, as per the above photo. I may have to get the camera out and talk to the wife...... :lol:

Enjoy.

Hey thanks for the response! You are right, it's so easy to get good tones and even at bedroom volumes. Second hand is the way to go in the U.S. too. The combo is selling for US $1300-$1400 new and anywhere from $500 to $1000 used depending on how eager the seller is to move it. I got mine cheap so I can afford to upgrade the speakers and add casters. I've gotta check out the Carvin x100b more. I think Zappa used those and also Steve Vai when he was playing with him.

Blaklynx said:
Congrats on the JSX.

I own the head version. It's a ripper amp. So easy to get good tones, especially at low volumes. At the moment, I run mine through the Rectoverb cab (Rectoverb amp not on!) and sounds surprisingly good. I've got 2 C90 speakers that I need to build cabs for but haven't the time as yet. Peavey make some great amps and for the price of them, they're a steal. In Aus, the 2nd/h price is the way to go. New, the JSX is a little pricey here (some stores still sell them even though they're discontinued).

Another good amp, I think, is the Carvin X100B. Been viewing youtube videos lately and jeez it sounds good. The price here in Aus is about $1200AU new. Unbelievably good price. Must be the strong Aussie dollar.

Agree 100% with everything you said about letting a recto be a recto.

And yes, I wish the 'extra' came with my amp, as per the above photo. I may have to get the camera out and talk to the wife...... :lol:

Enjoy.

giantstepjoe said:
Hey thanks for the response! You are right, it's so easy to get good tones and even at bedroom volumes. Second hand is the way to go in the U.S. too. The combo is selling for US $1300-$1400 new and anywhere from $500 to $1000 used depending on how eager the seller is to move it. I got mine cheap so I can afford to upgrade the speakers and add casters. I've gotta check out the Carvin x100b more. I think Zappa used those and also Steve Vai when he was playing with him.

Jeez that's cheap for a new combo. Expect those $$ to be the second market here, maybe $1200AU. We get ripped of really bad here for new music gear, Carvin and 'some' Peavey gear being an exception. Mesa.... forget it. How does a Rectoverb at just over $4000 grab you when it came out but now 'discounted' at $3695? Mesa Mark V at $5000 and a new JSX head at $2500 (they used to sell for over a little over $3000). These prices anywhere near you guys? Now consider that our AU$ is strong........

Yeah, Vai did use the Carvin's. I've never had the pleasure of playing one, although I remember years ago seeing a band and the guitarist had one. Really good sound. Carvin never really made it big enough here and amps used to sell real cheap on the second market. Problem is, there's not that many around. It's odd considering how good they are. Back then I knew jack about them. Over here it was Marshall's and whoever could afford a Mesa was considered 'rich' because Mesa's were top $$. Peavey's sold really well, too, I guess because they had a large range of amps and are priced very well.

Anyway, enjoy your beast of an amp. Join the Peavey forum, too. Top notch guys, very helpful and similar maturity as this place. Here: http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Wow those prices are outrageous! I never realized what an advantage it is to be a consumer of these products in the nation they are made. I paid $1899 +tax for my Roadster in dec 2007. The price has increased since but compared to what you have to pay for one there it's a steal. I took your advice and joined the peavey forum. Thanks again.

Well it has v30's in it now and they smoke the stock speakers and they aren't even really broken in yet. Lovin' this amp even more now.

Back