Humbuckers or singles ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Reaction score
Since I've got my TA 30 back, I did'nt really have the time to experiment seriously, one gig and one jam where I stuck to what I knew, that is : top boost on channel 1 and HI 2 on channel 2. But I tried two guitars, my Godin Flat Five X (wich is the predecessor of the Montreal) wich has 2 humbuckers and a piezzo and another Godin, the Passion RG3 wich has 3 single coils. Up to now, it seems that the Passion is really in good company with the TA 30. a bit more than the Flat Five. But, as I said, I will have to experiment more. But I would like to know your experience on this, do you like more humbuckers or singles with the TA 30 ?

Guy...

I bought my TA-30 112 combo 2 weeks ago and am loving the fantastic tones that I am achieving using HSS strat type guitars! I spend most of my time in position 4 (between the mid single coil and bridge humbucker) for fantastic clean and/or overdriven sounds in this amp. I also am finding fantastic hi gain crunch rhythm and lead solo sounds when switching to position 5 (Bridge Humbucker Only).

Personally, I feel that guitars that offer both single coils and HB configurations (HSS, HSH, HH with coil taps for single coil sounds) will provide incredible sounds in all modes while offering the greatest flexibility.

In a nutshell.....I love the clean sounds offered in this amp when I set my HSS to positions 1, 2, 3 and 4 (mostly 2 & 4), and also love the higher gain rhythm and lead sounds offered in this amp with my HSS guitar set to positions 4 & 5.

I do feel the inherent nature of the TA-30 "vintage sound and feel" lends itself more toward single coils, in general.....especially the super chimy clean sounds and mid gain sounds.

However, I no longer own any HH exclusive guitar (such as a Gibson Les Paul or SG) to compare....so please take my opinion for what its worth.

Thanks MBJunkie, very interesting. Like I said, I did'nt really experiment with the TA30 up to now. It was more like a light impression that the singles sounded better (and that said, a week after using the humbuckers). But I remember that with the TA15, the buckers were great with the Tweed voicing, I still have to give it a serious try. But, in top of all this, I love the versatility and the quality of the tone that comes out of this amp.

FWIW....I tend to prefer clean sounds through single coils regardless of which amp I am playing through....not just the TA30.

I am sure that "HB exclusive guitars" would also sound very good through this amp as well! :D

I used to prefer HB guitars for my cleans but using my Passion RG3 (3 singles, acquired recently) with the Top Boost voicing was a WOW discovery for me !
But I recognize that this question is very, very subjective and that there are many variables. Like the place where you play, the way you feel this night in particular... Sometimes, everything falls in the right place, you get the tone that inspires you and it's heaven. But the week after, at the same place, with the same rig, you feel that something is missing ! So I've learn to live with those "mysteries". I know that the TA can give me what I want and I stopped to fall for GAS (after a couple of years thought :wink: ) everytime one of those "mysteries" arrived.
Now, there is that Godin Icon Convertible with P90 that... :oops:

I find the bottom end a bit loose with single coils when playing with some gain. Cleans are great.
Generally I prefer this amp with my Les Paul that has PAF style humbuckers.

Back