Just got a Mesa Transatlantic 15

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhawk

Reaction score
Hi

Just joined the board. I am primarily an acoustic player and spend time at Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I picked up an Eric Johnson Strat that I have been playing through a Tech21 Trademark 30. I've been very happy with the TM30 but I just sold my Taylor T5 and decided to upgrade to a tube amp. After looking and thinking about what to get I decided to get the Transatlantic 15. I'll be honest, I am not the biggest fan of the Mesa 'sound' in general. Playing this amp with an open mind though left me very impressed. Great clean sound, great crunch. Even though I probably won't go to Hi2, it is nice to be able to get such a broad range of sounds out of it. I have a TC Nova pedal setup that I'll be using with it.

My next step is to get a cab to go with it. I am trying to decide whether to get a 1x12 or a 2x12. I'm looking to do something that will trend towards an Eric Johnson kind of sound. In a 1x12 I had thought about a Greenback but I'm getting some advice to to stay away from that and go with a G12M. If I do the 2x12 I'm thinking of adding a Vintage 30 as the second speaker.

Any advice on speakers. I saw and read the thread on speakers. Wondered if there were other thoughts. Especially on a 1x12 config vs a 2x12 config.

Thanks

Jack

You might consider two separate 1 -12" cabs for more versatility. I use one Thiele closed back cab, and one open back with a EVM speaker. By using one or the other or both together, I get somewhat different tonalities. Two separate cabs also are handy for different environments - sometimes, you only need one single 12" speaker, while sometimes two might be more appropriate.

GmanJeff said:
You might consider two separate 1 -12" cabs for more versatility. I use one Thiele closed back cab, and one open back with a EVM speaker. By using one or the other or both together, I get somewhat different tonalities. Two separate cabs also are handy for different environments - sometimes, you only need one single 12" speaker, while sometimes two might be more appropriate.
+1. I take my Port City standard size 1x2 (V30) to practice, and add a C90-loaded Boogie 1/2 back for gigs. It's also more convenient carrying two 1x12 cabs rather than one 2x12 cab.

Thats a good idea, just going with a 1x12 for now. Of course that still leaves me the question of a Vintage 30, some variation of a G12 or an Alnico Blue. I'm probably leaning towards one of the G12 speakers (maybe the G12H30).

Jack

I finally got my cab for the TA15. I ended up going with an Avatar 1x12 with the G12H30 speaker. Talked with Dave @ Avatar about the G12H30, the Alnico Blue and the Heritage G12H. Now that I have it, I am very happy with the sound of the G12H30. If I do decide to add a second cab I'll put the Alnico Blue in it.

Jack

jayhawk said:
I finally got my cab for the TA15. I ended up going with an Avatar 1x12 with the G12H30 speaker. Talked with Dave @ Avatar about the G12H30, the Alnico Blue and the Heritage G12H. Now that I have it, I am very happy with the sound of the G12H30. If I do decide to add a second cab I'll put the Alnico Blue in it.

Jack

Dave Noss sets a high standard for mail order sales: you made a good choice.

I use three different cabs for different gigs/musical settings besides the TA-30 combo:
1. Mesa Thiele 1-12" w/ EV=SRO (when sheer power and dependability are needed).
2. Bogner 1-12" Cube w/ Celestion Classic 80: breaks up a bit earlier than the EV.
3. Avatar Premier 2-12" (two Classic 80's): when there's a need for more output/dimensional sound.
I have added all three @ various times (one at a time that is) as extensions to a TA-30 1-12" combo with good results. Getting used to how the EL-84's react in the TA's is something else (in a good way).

Back