Just put a Weber Alnico Silver in my cab - MAJOR mojo tone!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
So, I just got a 30wt Weber Alnico Silver bell to replace the C90 speaker in my Mesa cab...... What a great speaker to give the TA-15 some very vintage mojo!

While the C90 sounds great with this amp, the Alnico gives it a less "polite" top end breakup when cranked, but more compressed. Still plenty of low end too and the mids are moved up the mid-range scale to a higher mid tone. The top end is very chimey (on channel 1), but never shrill or piercing.

If you're looking for a more authentic "AC30" tone, get an AlNiCo speaker for the TA..... It'll take you back about 40 years to some killer classic rock tones and some clean tones that will compete with just about any Botique AC30 type amp (Dr. Z, Matchless, Bad Cat, ect...)

photo2xvv.jpg

I thought you were trying to sell yours? Has the speaker swap changed your mind?

I'm running the TA-15 thru a Mesa Recto 2x12 (V30's), I'm also looking for something more portable and vintage-flavored to lose the more modern feel the amp currently possesses thru this cab.

axeplyr said:
I thought you were trying to sell yours? Has the speaker swap changed your mind?

I'm running the TA-15 thru a Mesa Recto 2x12 (V30's), I'm also looking for something more portable and vintage-flavored to lose the more modern feel the amp currently possesses thru this cab.

Well, yes..... I've had it listed. I've pulled it out of most of the for sale sections since adding this speaker. I've got a few offers still on the table (Dr. Z Mazerati, Framus Ruby Riot, Budda SDII)....... But they all require lots of driving and missing a day of work and I'm not sure I want, or can do that, and the TA sounds really killer now.

This is a little off topic, so please forgive me, but I see you're considering a Dr Z. I'm actually thinking about getting a Maz 18 112 to use as a compliment to my transatlantic (as a little grab and go kind of thing or to run stereo with my strymon delay or reverb). I like the sounds on youtube, but have never actually used one.

What's your experience with Dr Z's, and what did you think?

I have two Z's, a 2x10 reverb and a NR head. I'm kinda the opposite. I use the Z head as a gigging amp and always have the TA-15 as a backup. The Z is a little louder (even when the TA is in the 25 watt mode) and a little more straight forward. The TA is a lot more versatile and I use it in the studio. I love both of these amps. I also run a Lonestar Classic stack on bigger shows.

Sacausey said:
This is a little off topic, so please forgive me, but I see you're considering a Dr Z. I'm actually thinking about getting a Maz 18 112 to use as a compliment to my transatlantic (as a little grab and go kind of thing or to run stereo with my strymon delay or reverb). I like the sounds on youtube, but have never actually used one.

What's your experience with Dr Z's, and what did you think?

I've been the Z route in the past, I've owned: RxES, Stangray, Mazerati, Maz Sr, RX (non ES) and the Ghia. I LOVE Dr Z amps, but the Hayseed I own now is the amp I've been wanting for a long time. I'd LOVE to have a Z now to go with my Hayseed, and maybe a 1x12 combo for a "grab-n-go" rig (I've always been more of a combo person anyways).

The TA, as listed in the above post, is more-or-less my backup amp to my Hayseed and would be the save if I owned a Z and the TA at the same time. I guess it all depends on what you are using it for and your music style. Dr. Z's are some of the best amps made, but most are "one trick pony's" and are extremely good at that one thing. The TA is good at several things and comes close to mastering a few, but IMO if you are wanting a clean/semi clean amp then nothing beats a Dr. Z.

I've got several Z clips at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com if you want to check out the differences?

Latest posts

Back