I want a Studio.22... but louder?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfchild

Reaction score
Finally parted company with my MKIII (blue stripe), tried various mods but the overdrive was always too aggressive for me.

What I'm after is basically a Studio.22 but louder (with more clean headroom as well).

Do any of the Mark amps fit the bill?

Thanks in advance,

W.

Wolfchild,

Did you ever get the chance to experiment with different tubes in your Mark III? I've found pretty drastic changes using varation of 12ax7s and el34/6l6 mix. Alot of the aggressiveness can be tamed down with different tubes. Coincidenitally I owned a Studio 22+ in the early 90's, but sold it because I thought it wasn't aggressive enough ( or lackin' balls). Great for leads, though!

What kind of style(s) are you playing?

~Nep~

the IIC and later are real gain monsters, but even these can be smooth sounding w/the right conf/mods/tubes.

The black-strip/no-stripe Mark III's are not as harsh as the later models, imho.

Wolfchild said:
Finally parted company with my MKIII (blue stripe), tried various mods but the overdrive was always too aggressive for me.

What I'm after is basically a Studio.22 but louder (with more clean headroom as well).

Do any of the Mark amps fit the bill?

Thanks in advance,

W.

DC-3 Nails the Studio 22 sound and has twice he wattage plus two separate pre-amps.

One small note on the MKIII -

I have a blue strip and have tamed the beast with different tubes; I also DO NOT pull the treble shift which does affect , somehow, the lead gain. The manual says its a mid-boost but I'd swear the gain increases. I leave this pushed in when I am doing a Larry Carlton-type tune and the lead gain is never above 3.5. I do agree with the other posy - I use 6L6's and EL34's as well. ( some nice old STR416's)
I see a lot of posts of settings here where guys are pushing the lead gain to 8 and I'll bet that treble knob is pulled. Maybe if you're trying to do a Petrucci-esq tone but man....8?

I have yet to find an amp as versatile but I haven't played a MKIV - that may be the next tool in the shed if I really jones for some more R2 control.
But I ramble......ramble on, ramble on!

you can always slave the Studio 22 through a bigger (preferably tube) power amp. The line out is ideal for that. I've done it for years.

An extension extension speaker works for more sound.

I'm semi, modified, sort of, a little bit, maybe excited about this:
http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/transatlantic-TA-30.html

It bugs me that they won't tell you anywhere what it weighs - like it doesn't matter. Hey! if your getting out of your car and you have to haul one of these POS's a hundred yards, then down or up a flight of stairs - it matters! Schmucks. (Gee - how do you really feel about it.)

So if I audition one and if I like it I'll buy it - or I'll wait a decade and buy a used one that has been on a "world tour of the basement" for ten years - or not. Because just like anybody reading this I've already got a bunch of stuff. That doesn't matter, of course, because like everybody reading this, I want more stuff.
:roll:

Rivera M-60, no longer produced, but has the second best lead voice in the world after the Studio .22, also the Studio preamp has a more refined version of that Studio .22 lead voice with less noise, great coupled with a 20/20 power amp.

You can get an Caliber .50+ is the same as .22+ or slave the studio caliber .22+ with a Mesa Boogie power amp and a TC electronic G-major 2 and you would be in heaven, but to be honrst if you look for a more sweet classic mesa sound look for a Mesa Boogie Studio preamp and a 50/50 Power amp and you would love it!!!!

Back