RFT's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesaboogie6L6

Reaction score
I'm new to the NOS game and decided to pull the trigger on some RFT's. I was using all JJ's, pre and power, then tried the pre tube cocktail from Doug's, wasn't very impressed. I am now using RFT's in V1, V2, and V3, Tung Sol ri in V4 and Sovtek LPS in V5 from Doug's. I must say the tone is fantastic, more definition and louder too, (and quiet), the RFT's break up earlier which I like as well. The Chinese tubes are noisy and weak and I don't like ANY CHINESE tubes, never have. For power I'm using winged -c-'s, and they are the best I've ever used for power, my tone kills.........

I use a Mark III Coliseum blue stripe with all the options, through a straight Rec cab. Waiting on a Mills Afterburner 412B EVM.

Might want to try RCA's or Mullards some day, and there are others too.......But for now I'm happy!

That's awesome. I'd like to try some RFT's. I have a NOS Tungsol, Amperex, Tungsram and Siemens in a DC-10.
Those sound fantastic too.

funny you should mention RFT, I was just about to start a thread about them. I just put RFT's in V2 and V3, and wow it was great! I knew they had a great rep, but the sustain and the tight, extra gain was noticeable. I had to adjust the tone knob on the guitar to brighten it back up just a bit. i replaced NOS Tung Sol and RCA in V2 and V3, so now i have

V1 RCA long black plate
V2 RFT
V3 RFT
V4 NOS Sylvania 5751

I love NOS tung sols too, for any position. You might be a tad RFT heavy though. if you want, try an RCA or NOS tung sol (or ts ri) in V1 and see what you think. Maybe check out some NOS USA made 5751 in V5

Where did you guys get your RFT's? doug's? I was thinking about doug's, for instant gratification, but i ordered 3 from germany and they finally arrived today after a month... it was worth the wait, as i lucked out and got 3 for $65... the price of 1 from doug's. I liked them so much I may get some more.
I think some siemens are same thing as RFT...

mb6L6, what are you using for the 6FQ7 in your coliseum?

thanks for sharing

scott

I got my RFT's from KCA NOS, wish I would have shopped around a bit though, but I'm happy with them.

No 6fq7 in my Coli, just 5-12AX7 and 6x6L6

Tried Tung Sol ri in V1 and didn't like it, too noisy. I would like to try RCA, a bit pricey though, I've heard nothing but good things about them. The 5751 sounds interesting as well.

those tung sol RI are supposed to be very resistant to microphonics... at least that's what I have read... also that they have a high fail rate. I have one in V1 in my HRG and it's been great so far. A member here told me about NOS usa tubes and I'm hooked. I found a local shop that sometimes has RCA's cheap... like 15-20 bucks. ebay has some deals too.

scott

I've had good luck with Tungsol RI from Dougs tubes. I didn't have any fail while I owned them. Course I don't gig out much
anymore and the amp is usually set low volume wise.

Love the RFTs. I currently have my blue stripe simulclass setup like this.

v1- RFT
v2- Tungsram
v3- RFT
v4- mesa
v5- RFT or JJ, cant remember. Either one sounds good in the PI but I think the JJ was a bit brighter there.

RFTs are easily my favorite preamp tubes, especially in Marshall-flavored amps. I've never tried one in a Boogie; however, I was always pleased with a mixture of Tung Sol and Chinese 12AX7s in my old Mark IVs. I anticipate picking up another Mark IV sooner than later and I might give a few different tubes a shot: I have a bunch of Tung Sol RI 12AX7s, a few Tungsrams and an RFT. That would be a neat little tonal experiment.

I'm partial to RFTs in V3 only. They impart a definite darkness that sounds really aggressive (like a MkIII needs more of that!) without muddiness. I like TungSols in V2 to keep a clearer, crunchy CH2 which acts and sounds very Plexi-like. Not that I want my Boogie to sound like a Marshall, but there's a vibe that's very late '60s Plexi, to me. Yummy. Takes to dirt boxes and ODs beautifully. And the CH1 leans are still very clean. But stomp into CH3 and it's a monster. It's a great way to have a very diverse range of tones in the same old amp.

Back