2ch dual recto need Metallica tone xD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amaterasu

Reaction score
Hey guys help please with Metallica tone for 2ch recto, some for old like a mop or load reload, and some for death magnetic. Maybe one good settings. So give me please settings, try to cover but cant obtain good sound. I try one and with band.

If I remember correctly, these are the settings off Hetfield's amp;

Red channel
Gain: 12:00
Treb: 1:00
Mids: 11:30
Bass: 12:00
Pres: 1:00
Master: 10:00

Combined with an EMG81 of course. With a passive pickup you'll need to mess with the settings until you find something that works.

screamingdaisy
Oh, thanks.
Try it today.

Maybe someone know some settings too? Post it please guys. )

You can search here in this board:
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=35

screamingdaisy said:

Red channel

Combined with an EMG81 of course. With a passive pickup you'll need to mess with the settings until you find something that works.
I think thats not it. To low gain. Sound like a little chrunch. But thanks.

boss4
Thanks, but I cant find anything. Too many talks, and nothing about rectifier settings. Maybe u see something? Maybe I just not find. If u see can u please post something.

Maybe anybody know something else?
Thanks guys. :)

Amaterasu said:

I usually ran mine up around 1:00. Kirk runs his around 1:30.

Anyway, here's where I originally found those settings.

http://www.montyjay.com/jamestriplerectosettings.html

and

(Kirk uses channel 2 on modern, you can see the settings marked on the amp)
kirkpreamps.jpg

screamingdaisy said:
Amaterasu said:

I usually ran mine up around 1:00. Kirk runs his around 1:30.

Anyway, here's where I originally found those settings.

http://www.montyjay.com/jamestriplerectosettings.html

and

(Kirk uses channel 2 on modern, you can see the settings marked on the amp)
kirkpreamps.jpg

Those are pretty much the same settings I used (I ran my presence a little higher...around 1) and nailed the Load tone.

screamingdaisy said:

Red channel

That's about what I would recommend for 90's era Metallica tones. Depending on tubes, I would bump the Gain to around 1:00 - 2:00, drop the Bass to around 10:00, and you're set. To the original poster saying it seems like a light crunch...it's about right on par. Most of Hetfield's gain comes form his pick attack. You have to really dig in to get the most out of the amp, and it'll respond accordingly. I pick similar to Hetfield, so for example...we let our friends band use our backline at a gig once. I played my Recto and it sounded huge, thick, punchy, etc. got tons of compliments. We didn't touch a single knob, they plugged into our rigs for their set, and all of a sudden it sounded more dull, sounded like it was lacking gain, signal was weaker, etc. Pick attack means a lot with a Recto, really dig in.

Also, keep in mind that the volume you're playing at will dramatically affect your settings. If you have that amp volume set at 9:00, then bump it up to 10:30, you're going to have to completely re-EQ and tweak some because once that power section kicks in more and the amp opens up, it going to sound bigger, brighter, etc...and you'll have to adjust.

Silverwulf said:
screamingdaisy said:

Red channel

That's about what I would recommend for 90's era Metallica tones. Depending on tubes, I would bump the Gain to around 1:00 - 2:00, drop the Bass to around 10:00, and you're set. To the original poster saying it seems like a light crunch...it's about right on par. Most of Hetfield's gain comes form his pick attack. You have to really dig in to get the most out of the amp, and it'll respond accordingly. I pick similar to Hetfield, so for example...we let our friends band use our backline at a gig once. I played my Recto and it sounded huge, thick, punchy, etc. got tons of compliments. We didn't touch a single knob, they plugged into our rigs for their set, and all of a sudden it sounded more dull, sounded like it was lacking gain, signal was weaker, etc. Pick attack means a lot with a Recto, really dig in.

Also, keep in mind that the volume you're playing at will dramatically affect your settings. If you have that amp volume set at 9:00, then bump it up to 10:30, you're going to have to completely re-EQ and tweak some because once that power section kicks in more and the amp opens up, it going to sound bigger, brighter, etc...and you'll have to adjust.
^^^This^^^
Everybody thinks Metallica uses gobs and gobs of gain to get their sound. They dont. It's all in the fingers. Use the settings recommended above and practice until you can get the "Metallica" tone. It's in there.

ryjan said:
^^^This^^^
Everybody thinks Metallica uses gobs and gobs of gain to get their sound. They dont. It's all in the fingers. Use the settings recommended above and practice until you can get the "Metallica" tone. It's in there.

Not only does this hold true for metallica but getting good tone out of a rectifier in general! Back off the gain, turn the volume up and focus your picking!

Ya, I kind of figured out the key to getting a phat chunky rhythm myself. I tell you, I busted A LOT of strings in the process!!
Generally, scraping the pick with a really heavy feel in the hand while palm muting will give a really phat, chunky and defined tone.
Something else I learned. When playing, using a bit of flesh from the thumb as well really brings out the upper harmonics which is great for skate punk style playing.

I tend to like the gain around noon for rhythm playing but if I need to play lead, I'll turn the gain up to about 2:00 - 2:30 and I'll roll back the volume on the guitar to about 8 which gives me a phatter and less saturated crunch.

What do you guys do for solos and lead playing? I find great rhythm settings don't work so well for fast soloing since quick passagework seems to require more gain, at least in my experience. I guess boosting or separate tone settings (Oh you 3 channel dudes) are pretty common too, huh?

Channel 1 on vintage and tube rectified. Usually around 1:00 on the gain knob, slight scoop in the mids and boosted by a Maxon OD808.

Unfortunately I preferred channel 1 for cleans.

Also unfortunately, for rhythm I liked channel 2 on modern and diode rectified. It's the other thing that drove me towards getting a Roadster.

Ugg, I am seriously leaning towards acquiring an Electra Dyne these days. I'm just scared I'll miss my Dual Rectifier if I ditch it. The trouble with the Dual is that it only sounds good cranked and I just can't crank it anywhere out in Toronto.

I'm just frustrated with all my gear right now. Gibson sounds fizzy with Dual Rec and Thiele (especially now that I replaced the one v30 with a second G12m Heritage. Expensive speaker, that). Strangely enough, with that setup my Godin LG with the Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro N and Custom Custom B simply sounds fantastic. Gibson sounds almost too midrangey in the oversized Mock 212B but it has to be the room since that cab sounds lethal whenever I can pump a few watts through it. Whenever I try an Electra Dyne combo, I can dial in the perfect tones for me. It just sounds like that sound in my head I always wanted. Strange thing, I had a similar experience when I was at my parents place for a summer after my first year of grad school. Since my amp was stored in Vancouver, I only had my guitar and my 4 x 12 (which I since traded). I rented a Marshall head and managed to dial in this absolutely wicked crunch tone. It was like ****, this was the sound I wanted all along! Yeesh!!

YellowJacket said:
Ugg, I am seriously leaning towards acquiring an Electra Dyne these days. I'm just scared I'll miss my Dual Rectifier if I ditch it. The trouble with the Dual is that it only sounds good cranked and I just can't crank it anywhere out in Toronto.

Stick to eating Ramen Noodles. You'll slowly starve, but it'll free up cash for the ED. :wink:

screamingdaisy said:
YellowJacket said:

Stick to eating Ramen Noodles. You'll slowly starve, but it'll free up cash for the ED. :wink:

Hmm, good idea. I weigh at least a whopping 250lbs right now! I got money to burn!!

Back