3 channel Triple Rectifier Loop Mod.(Parallel to Series)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to explain my issue, here's the clips:

http://rapidshare.com/files/450745226/Loop.rar

I've recorded two clips:

- "loop_off.wav" was recorded using the hard bypass of the loop from the back of the amp;

- "loop_on.wav" was recorded using the "loop on" position on the rotary pot from the back of the amp.

I recorded the clips using the clean channel with all the knobs on 12 o'clock position.

With the loop on, it doesn't matter how cranked was the OUTPUT knob. It always sounds like a overdriven/fuzzy channel.

By the way, sorry for the bad quality of the clips, but I couldn't find my SM57, so I used a very cheap Sony mic.

cscotto said:
Hi RDW1988,

I do not know why I cannot quote your post, but I will describe the wire to remove. The three you have circled are correct, but you only remove the wire on the far left facing the picture. In other words, labeling the wires 1, 2, and 3 from left to right facing the picture, you remove wire 1. If you look closely at the pad it is soldered into, you can see a little trace that connects it to the trace above it. That long trace comes from the Send pots middle wire or wiper pad. Make sure put electrical tape on the exposed wire end.
HTH

Hi to all,

cscotto

the mod are correct in this way?

loop from parrallel to serial is simply to remove this wire?

This not is a real serial loop the signal is dirty and is less than a 90%

Best Regards

Bye
Ricky

The mod that I describe below is for a truly serial fx loop without any return or ground effects.

is simple to perform.

All function working only pot mix are disconnected

I hope to be state aid

Best Regards
Ricky

Have anyone tried Rickys FX serial mod?
It looks different from all others and sounds like the best solution.

dlabrecque said:
>>All function working only pot mix are disconnected<<

>>I hope to be state aid<<

Can anyone clarify these statements?

means that all functions of the pedal switches are functioning.
unfortunately the only picture I took these I have already published.
however, the change is simple!

1) unsolder the 2 connectors send and return
2) fold the rear legs of the connectors
3) made the cable connections and isolate as described in the picture
5) Welded connectors again taking care to put insulation between the PCB and the hind legs
6) connect the cable to the foot valve

you have nice sound in the serial mode

Best Regards
Ricky

RDW1988 said:
Hey guys,

I'm new here, and I'm the owner of a 3ch Dual Rectifier.
The effects loop is a parallel one, and I'd like to mod it to a serial.

I opened up my rectifier, but I'm not sure which wires I need to cut.
Do I need to cut all three of them, or just one?
Here's a pic I took.

dsc04204w.jpg

When removing Wire 1 from this photo... Do wires 2 and 3 need to be soldered together in position 2?

Rickyfly said:
The mod that I describe below is for a truly serial fx loop without any return or ground effects.

is simple to perform.

I hope to be state aid

Best Regards
Ricky

Interesting, Can U show me the Schematic of this mod?

thanks for your times, Ricky

vuhaer said:
Rickyfly said:

is simple to perform.

I hope to be state aid

Best Regards
Ricky

it's the same mod shown in this previous post:

mikey383 said:
Those 3 three-pronged thingies are transistors. I suspect they are there to recover any gain lost from the loop.

The mod is actually a little easier than that, and you don't have to remove the transistors:

Picture537.jpg

The 0 ohm resistors are those blue ones beside the jacks with the single black stripe.

[EDIT]I removed the footswitch mod because I don't have the complete documentation.

Hi Guys,

I have dual Rec 3 channel and wanted to know a definitive description to the correct mod which address the change of parallel loop to series loop as i have read through all the posts and im a little confused now to what one is the correct one.

1. what changes on the footswitch when the mod is done?
2. what changes to the controls on the back of the amp?
3. clear specific instructions on what wires to cut/solder
4. what are the results to the correct mod, is there still dry signal?
5. is there still level drop? i wouldnt need to turn effects loop on/off it would just be on all the time.

I want to use the effects loop with a boss giga delay, rocktron hush pedal & boss loop station

would be good to sort this out as i have followed the mod which states :
to lift the send and mix pot ends from the pcb board
put some electrical tape down so the send and mix tips on jack sockets are separated from pcb
cut all the wires from the mix control and tape up
then i took the middle lead from the send control and solder to tip of send jack socket ( is this ment to goto where the pin of the send jack socket was attached to the pcb?)
bridge the send and mix socket tips as per picture
mix jack socket left pin to pin 7 of valve? this i may have got wrong as im thinking it could also maybe from where the mix jack socket was attached to pcb that is ment to goto pin7 of the valve?

this is not very clear in the picture exactly how to connect this all up.

Ive wired it up how ive said and basically the footswitch doesnt work and i get very strange channel selections, with both clean and 2nd channel selected at the same time.
I didnt leave the amp on for very long as didnt want to damage it but something aint right with it.

please could someone advise me.

regards

Spence.

I wanted to convert my 3-channel DR FX loop from parallel to series but after reading through all 6 pages of this thread, I'm just going to take my amp to a tech. :mrgreen:

There are too many "versions" of this mod posted here to know which one is correct. :roll:

Dino. said:
I wanted to convert my 3-channel DR FX loop from parallel to series but after reading through all 6 pages of this thread, I'm just going to take my amp to a tech. :mrgreen:

There are too many "versions" of this mod posted here to know which one is correct. :roll:

Wiser words have not been spoken. I lost track of what's what a long time ago. :cry:

jabelardo said:
vuhaer said:
Rickyfly said:

is simple to perform.

I hope to be state aid

Best Regards
Ricky

it's the same mod shown in this previous post:

mikey383 said:
Those 3 three-pronged thingies are transistors. I suspect they are there to recover any gain lost from the loop.

The mod is actually a little easier than that, and you don't have to remove the transistors:

Picture537.jpg

The 0 ohm resistors are those blue ones beside the jacks with the single black stripe.

[EDIT]I removed the footswitch mod because I don't have the complete documentation.

Does anyone actually have pictures of what this mod looks like when it's done? I have no idea what the wiring diagram even means, but with some explanation and some pics I can get this thing done easy with a soldering iron.

Also, I keep hearing conflicting information. Does sound actually bleed through with this mod? For instance, if after the mod I left fx loop un-patched will I hear anything at all coming through? Thanks.

I have a Dual Rectifier "Solo Head". 3ch.

https://warpedmusician.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/in-action-dual-rectifier-loop-mod/

This one is easier. It took me more time to remove the chassis than to mod it. It's also reversible, in case anyone ever wanted it completely stock.

Modern bleeds through. The proximity effect of a triode or capacitance in the amp lets a small amount of sound come through. Very small. Like, my-TV-drowns-it-out small. I think the lack of NFB for Modern makes the power amp pickup just enough bleed-through to whisper it.

So then nothing on the schematic from Mesa? I'd be more inclined to do the one they recommend than "the really easy one someone posted on their blog that one time." :lol:

I posted it on my blog and those pictures are my amp. There's nothing wrong with the Mesa way, but it doesn't have to be that much work.

@afu, First thing I should have said was thank you, I understand you're just trying to be helpful. I do really appreciate it. I would just prefer to do the mod given by Mesa is all.

With regards to bleed. Have you ever accidentally not plugged in the amp to a cabinet and heard the tubes "sing" (don't know the right word for it) when you play? Could that be what's getting misinterpreted as bleed?

There's even an easier way to do the Mesa mod:

• Desolder the wires going to the Return pot from the board.
    From those holes, jumper from the second hole to the third.
    Locate and remove the send and return jfets (only 2).
    Jumper the source and drain holes (which should be the outside legs for a j175).

Now there's a straight path from send to return and loop switching is defeated.

As far as bleed: I was running the send to a processor and using headphones. There was still a whisper coming from the amp when Modern was selected.

Yea I've seen that one too, afu. Thanks for the input, btw. Sucks because I use the modern mode on the amp. I know almost nothing about electrical engineering, but being that the Mesa mod includes running the signal through those resistors can that have any affect on bleed?

I found these pics. Almost what I've been looking for. The step that's missing is the connections to the 0ohm resistors. So based on the documentation I understood that the "forward end" of the resistor would be the end closest to the front of the amp. Am I correct in that assumption?

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/zoomzilla67/media/IMG_2043a.jpg.html
http://s269.photobucket.com/user/zoomzilla67/media/IMG_2045.jpg.html

Won't let me add the images. :x

Back