Tube Choices?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're worried about "thin-sounding", I dont think I'd use EL34's...they dont have nearly the bass/low-mids as the 6L6's. They do have nice upper-mid harmonics, though. More of a "British" sound.

For 6L6 try the JJ's or SED (Svetlana). EL34-sound with better lows try JJ E34L.

In the preamp Hi-Gain ECC83's (JJ) definately. They have a new ECC803 with longer plates that is suposed to be unbelievable in the V1 spot, but I have not tried one yet.

StrykeBack said:
Can anybody tell me what kind of a difference I'd be geting going from 6l6s to el-34s? Also with some of the distortion modes seeming kinda thin for solos I'd like to maybe fatten them up, (would this be where I look for dark tubes like the JJs) how much was that JJ high gain tube set and was it drastick change? You said it made some things smoother? Perhaps that'll help me get to that smoother santana type overdrive

Throw some recommendations out there for me mesa guys.

I've heard a lot of guys complain that the DR is "Buzzy" sounding on the top end. I tend to agree that they can sound a little buzzy, but I think I fixed that on mine. EL-34's took the buzziness away, and gave it a rounder tone that oddly enough wasn't that bright. I added a set of THD Yellowjackets (Basically class A biased EL-84's) in conjunction to the EL-34's and I was extremely pleased with the result. The amp is warm AND aggressive sounding with a very "presency" sounding bite. It really opens up quickly when cranked up, and it majorly tightened up the bottom end.

Hey guys, will changing tubes make a "massive" difference, i hope it does, the reason i ask is because ive never had a tube amp before and since i got my dual rec a few months ago ive never been happy at all with the orange and red channels which meant me always turning to my metalzone pedal thru channel 1 to get a fairly nice sound thru it, i bought the amp off ebay and its all working fine but the tubes ive got in it are mesa 6l6 str 425`s and according to this thread are intended for jazz, is this why i cant find the smooth heavy sound that everyone talks about? its definately not because of my esp or my 4x12 mesa cab, if anyone can help please do, thanx

Jimmy55 said:
Hey guys, will changing tubes make a "massive" difference, i hope it does, the reason i ask is because ive never had a tube amp before and since i got my dual rec a few months ago ive never been happy at all with the orange and red channels which meant me always turning to my metalzone pedal thru channel 1 to get a fairly nice sound thru it, i bought the amp off ebay and its all working fine but the tubes ive got in it are mesa 6l6 str 425`s and according to this thread are intended for jazz, is this why i cant find the smooth heavy sound that everyone talks about? its definately not because of my esp or my 4x12 mesa cab, if anyone can help please do, thanx

If you have to run a Metalzone through a DR to get the sound you want it leads me to believe 1 of 2 things:

1) the voicing of the DR is just NOT for you.
2) you havent speant enough time learning how to dial in the amp.

I tend to (at least I want to) believe # 2, because you stated youve only had the amp for a couple of months. Believe me, these suckers take a VERY long time to get used to so you can really figure out how to dial your tone in.

Also, sad to say, no tubes dont make that big of a difference. The biggest thing that controls the voicing of an amp is its circuitry design, and tubes are just one aspect to that. Changing your tubes is more about fine tuning your sound.

Think of it like a car, I could put bigger wheels on a Toyota Camry, but that wouldnt make it an SUV or a Sportscar. It might make it look better, handle better (or worse) etc etc etc, but it wont change the fact that ultimately the car is a family car.

And if you want a smooth sound, Id say the 5881 tubes you have are pretty ideal. They might not be highest output 6l6 type, but considering all the gain in the preamp section of the DR, it shouldnt make that big of a difference. Save for differences in gain Id say what most metal players want is pretty similar to what jazz players want, which is by in large a stiff-controlled dynamic response.

Well this ones been sitting for a while.

I use JJ 12AX7's in everything. Tried the Chineese Made GT 12AX7M good tube but no better than the tubes I buy for less than half as much money. Just cant see spending the money on em.

I use almost exsclusivley the STR430's. I've had good luck with those. **** good tubes.

I have JJ 6L6's in my Tweed Amp and am pleased with them.

And my Mesa Nomad has Winged C EL34's in it of which I'm happy with.

I've had some Boogie Preamp tubes do good but have had some of them bad right out of the Box.

I find Mesa Boogie Honest and up front with what tubes they are rebranding and selling. The supposed rebranding is because they Test Them prior to selling them. If its tested and meets spec then it gets the MB Name on it.

One bunch I'm not happy with is GT they are less than fortcoming about what your buying. Its not to say they dont sell some good tubes but I find them a little sketchy about the origion of Manufacture of some of thier stuff.

Just because a Tube has a piece of Metalergy in it origionally made in the US does not make it US made if assembled in China. And I could go on and on about this. bUT i'LL SHUT UP NOW.

Back