Dual or Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearjunkie

Reaction score
hey guys. I have been starting to look at buying a new Recto again lately. I'm just wondering that given the price difference is basically nothing what does everyone prefer the dual or triple. Doesn't seem to be much difference to me other than more power on the triple. Is there any reason to buy one or the other? It seems to me there are a lot more duals out there than triples.Any comments or opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The differences are slight. I own a Dual and can't imagine owning a Triple in terms of volume. The Duals are so effing loud and the sheer cost of a retube on a triple had me steer clear of them.

But like everything it boils down to personal preference.

The sound is just about the same. The only real difference aside from the extra power tubes and an additional rectifier tube is the Triple Rect has tighter bass due to the extra head room and addition of two extra power tubes. Other than the cost of retubing, more volume, and tighter bass.....it's basically the same.

I agree. Its really just the (slight) volume difference. However you do get alot more headroom on the clean channels with the triple and there have slightly tighter bass responce. On the other hand though i cant see anyone ever needing the full power of a triple. Even when recording people only get to turn them up to about 7 or 8. Id go for the dual as its cheaper to retube and your more likely to get to use the full power from it. The amount of time you will use cleans if you're getting a recto would suggest you wont need the headroom on the cleans either :lol: :lol:

I agree with the above statements, and will put in that for some reason the new Dual Recs seem to have a louder clean than the previous models. Even when set up the same as my Triple Rec in terms of settings, the Dual's cleans can easily hang with the Triple's. Perhaps it is because they are clearer, and more bell-like :shock:. I also like the fact that I only have to get two sets of power tubes and two rectifier tubes, and you seem to get a little more power amp saturation (albeit Rectos don't do much in this area I have read) with the Dual, and you get to turn up the amp slightly more, perhaps hitting the preamp a little harder. Either amp is plenty loud for almost all applications, and if you ever find yourself needing more power, then I would suggest a rackmounted power amp to boost your recto's preamp. Perhaps a Recto 2:100 or even a Mesa Strategy 400 :lol: .

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I agree with the above statements, and will put in that for some reason the new Dual Recs seem to have a louder clean than the previous models. Even when set up the same as my Triple Rec in terms of settings, the Dual's cleans can easily hang with the Triple's. Perhaps it is because they are clearer, and more bell-like :shock:. I also like the face that I only have to get two sets of power tubes and two rectifier tubes, and you seem to get a little more power amp saturation (albeit Rectos don't do much in this area I have read) with the Dual, and you get to turn up the amp slightly more, perhaps hitting the preamp a little harder. Either amp is plenty loud for almost all applications, and if you ever find yourself needing more power, then I would suggest a rackmounted power amp to boost your recto's preamp. Perhaps a Recto 2:100 or even a Mesa Strategy 400 :lol: .

-AJH

Dude love the music man! I love that sound.

Everything has been said in this thread. See all answers above. :lol:

~Nep~

fluff191 said:
The differences are slight. I own a Dual and can't imagine owning a Triple in terms of volume. The Duals are so effing loud and the sheer cost of a retube on a triple had me steer clear of them.

But like everything it boils down to personal preference.

This.

I've owned both Triples and Duals, and I'd go with the Dual any day.

There's not enough of a difference to substantiate buying a Triple, unless you're playing unmic'd large venues.

See, that's what I've heard or read somewhere. Triple's have a bit more gain because of the extra rectifier and are more aggressive. I have no idea if this is true, or where I heard it.

I have already cross with triples in a gig or two and never see any diferences. With +/- the same volume the tone is identical.

As far as I have heard, the Triple is better for major drop tuned stuff. It can just handle the super low frequencies better and remain tight. While I personally found that the Dual 'opened up' sooner than the triple, with the Reborn version this is moot. Just swap down to 50watts if you don't need all the power.
I also know for a fact that the triple has more thump and a somewhat thicker / aggressive tone.

YellowJacket said:
Just swap down to 50watts if you don't need all the power.
I also know for a fact that the triple has more thump and a somewhat thicker / aggressive tone.

This could be, however, if you know you aren't going to be able to use the full 150 watt power section, then you won't really benefit from having the extra tubes. Just something to think about. Even with my new Duals there is a slight difference in "thump" and aggression between 50 and 100 watt modes. I normally run 100 watts most of the time, and only switch down to 50 watts on the od channels if the venue is the size of a cracker box :lol:

-AJH

The triple might be that bit more aggressive ( i personally dont hear much difference) but if you are going to use it at 50 watts then you wont get that extra aggression anyway as your not using the full set of tubes so it defeats the purpose.

The main reason i see most people opt for the Triple is because they NEED the extra power as they play larger venues (or open air) and also at this stage the can afford the retubing cost of a triples extra tubes each time. Id only go for the triple if you really need the power or are going to be using it in the studio alot where it can get cranked up full because for almost all live or practice situations the Dual is plenty loud, i never use mine live past 1o clock on the output.

Well, I don't really think decibels are the issue here. Like a 50watt head is almost as loud as a 150watt head and it can keep up fine. The difference is more found in tone. For instance, when I run my Dual with Yellow Jackets at 20watts, the amp is still loud but you really lose the presence and thump of the low end and the midrange is enhanced. As I stated earlier, you really notice the extra 50watts of the triple when playing low, low drop tuned stuff since those low frequencies need so much more power to amplify. Why do you think it takes a 500 - 1000 watt bass amp to keep up with a 100 watt guitar stack??
Conversely, when it comes to bedroom practicing, you need lower watts so you can hit the sweet spot of the amp faster.

I own both a Dual and Triple Rectifier, and there's a difference. I wouldn't worry about the volume difference. Your ears will never know the difference, haha. There's a headroom difference in the Triple, and it has a bigger bass response. I wouldn't say that it's tighter than my Dual. Of course, my Dual is a Rev G and my Triple if a Rev F, so there's also a slight difference there.

I own a dual and triple, and as Silverwulf says there is a difference. For me, the difference was analogous to switching from my 25" tube tv to a 36" HD tv. The information you are getting from the set is basically the same, except everything is clearer, more present, and detailed in the HD set. Sonically, again for me, it went from thump to THUMP. For me, that little bit of a difference mattered, so i bought a triple. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back