Simul-Satellite

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmt said:
My Simul_Satelite has a Switch in the back that changes from Class A to Simul Class. Isnt that the Triode / Pentode Switch?

That switch turns the inner pair of power tubes off, leaving the outer pair on.

In that amp, the outer pair of power tubes are biased differently than the inner pair and put out less power and clip sooner.
Mesa calls this "Class A" operation, but it really isn't. (see below)
The inner pair of power tubes are running in Class AB.
When all 4 tubes are running they call it "Simul-Class" operation.

There is a lot of confusion about Mesa's use of the words "Class A" in their Simul-Class amp designs. Here's what I was told by Mesa's head tech.

1. The very first Simul-Class amps (the later MKII's and most MKIII's, and maybe the 295's and 395's) had the outer pair of power tubes (which were EL34's) running in triode mode and biased so that they were operating in a true Class A configuration.

[The inner pair of power tubes in every Simul-Class amp are operating in pentode mode, Class AB.]

2. But the EL34s available at that time were unreliable and kept frying. So in later "Simul-Class" amps (MKIII Green stripe, Simul-Satellite, 2:90, etc.) Mesa switched the outer tube pair to 6L6's in pentode mode, but still biased funny so that they behave and sound somewhat like the original Simul-Class amp's Class A circuit.

I.e *They continued to call it "Class A" even though it isn't really running in Class A.*

It is my understanding that you can not have 6L6 or EL34 power tubes running in the Class A region in pentode mode, but I could be wrong.

At any rate, everybody I've talked to including Mike Bendinelli at Mesa, says that the outer pair of power tubes in the Simul-Satellite (and the 2:90, and the MKIII Green stripe) are running in Class AB pentode mode, but they are biased differently than the inner pair of power tubes.

3. The MKIV has a triode/pentode switch that affects the outer pair of power tubes. I'm guessing that when set to triode/Class A or triode/Simul-Class that these amps really do have the outer pair of power tubes running in Class A.
But when the amp is set to pentode/Class A or Pentode/Simul-Class the outer pair of tubes are in Class AB operation, just like they are on the Simul-Satellite.

Hope that helps.

Hi, all.

I'm a longtime lurker and Boogie player. I'm raising cash for a wedding, and thinking of letting a mint Simul-Satellite combo with flight case go. It's a 1992 direct purchase, with literally less than one hour of playing time on it. This was played longer during the factory burn-in than the time I've played it. I have a long story as to how I got this amp and never played it, but will save that for another time, if folks are truly interested in the amp.

I've seen none for sale on eBay, and was wondering what a current fair rate would be. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

I post regularly on birdsandmoons.com, and have buying/selling references there.

I recently bought one. I've got the Mark IV and Satellite each hooked to a 4x12. I don't want a bunch of effects....just delay and reverb. How do I get this rig "stereod" up? I'm a complete idiot to effects and processor setups....I've always ran the straight signal from my Mark IV. Will a Boss DD-7 get me a stereo setup? I have the brochure from the 90's that shows a mock up effects processor and how to hook the IV and the Simul-Sat together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ashstrodamus said:
I recently bought one. I've got the Mark IV and Satellite each hooked to a 4x12. I don't want a bunch of effects....just delay and reverb. How do I get this rig "stereod" up? I'm a complete idiot to effects and processor setups....I've always ran the straight signal from my Mark IV. Will a Boss DD-7 get me a stereo setup? I have the brochure from the 90's that shows a mock up effects processor and how to hook the IV and the Simul-Sat together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think it's all described in the MKIV's owner's manual.

joegold said:
Ashstrodamus said:

It is except my understanding of "effects processor" is very limited. I guess I'm gonna try to split via a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay. I guess that will get me started?

Ashstrodamus said:
joegold said:
Ashstrodamus said:

It is except my understanding of "effects processor" is very limited. I guess I'm gonna try to split via a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay. I guess that will get me started?

IIRC The MKIV has a Master mono out FX send and a set of stereo return jacks.
One of those returns goes directly to the MKIV's power amp.
The other sends the signal to the Satellite Out jack which you should connect to the Satellite's FX return jack on its back panel.
Then you have to adjust the Gain on the Sat's FX In and use the Sat's Mast Vol control to match the level with your MKIV.
Any stereoizing is done inside the effects you decide to connect in the loop.
E.g. Effects out L, goes to MKIV FX Return jack, Effects out R goes to the MKIV's other FX Return jack and then out to the Satellite via the Satellite out jack.
[I don't think the DD-7 has any effects algorithms that stereoize the signal though.
Try a stereo chorus effect instead.
I'm also not sure if the MKIV's loop is good for instrument level effects like stomp boxes.
Best to use line level effects probably.]

Hope that's all correct and that it's helpful.

joegold said:
Ashstrodamus said:
joegold said:

IIRC The MKIV has a Master mono out FX send and a set of stereo return jacks.
One of those returns goes directly to the MKIV's power amp.
The other sends the signal to the Satellite Out jack which you should connect to the Satellite's FX return jack on its back panel.
Then you have to adjust the Gain on the Sat's FX In and use the Sat's Mast Vol control to match the level with your MKIV.
Any stereoizing is done inside the effects you decide to connect in the loop.
E.g. Effects out L, goes to MKIV FX Return jack, Effects out R goes to the MKIV's other FX Return jack and then out to the Satellite via the Satellite out jack.
[I don't think the DD-7 has any effects algorithms that stereoize the signal though.
Try a stereo chorus effect instead.
I'm also not sure if the MKIV's loop is good for instrument level effects like stomp boxes.
Best to use line level effects probably.]

Hope that's all correct and that it's helpful.
Wound up with an Empress Echo System through the loop. Rig sounds like liquid glass. Setup is hooked to two Boogie 4x12 halfback cabs and I was just blown away by how good it sounds. Mesa Boogie rules. :p

Latest posts

Back