Can you get the Andy Timmons tone with an Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonRedSox

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone was able to achieve this on one of the older 2-channel Rectos?

Thanks.

Would of been nice on my old Single Rec, but I couldn't get anywheres near it. Maybe using pedals but that would pretty much defeat the point.

~Nep~

Doesn't Andy use lots of pedals anyways? From the Resolution CD, what he says on the Boogie vids is that he usually has two delays going on at all times. He also claims he uses his boosts a lot too, for some extra "oomph."

Try using the clean channels pushed mode and crank the gain. If thats not enough, tubescreamer it.

Also Andy uses a BB Preamp on EVERYTHING either as a boost or for a dirty rhythm sound. If you have one, use it! Otherwise use a tubescreamer which the BB (and the rest of the Xotic boosters) is based off of.

Cool, thanks for the tips!
lerxst88 said:
Try using the clean channels pushed mode and crank the gain. If thats not enough, tubescreamer it.

Also Andy uses a BB Preamp on EVERYTHING either as a boost or for a dirty rhythm sound. If you have one, use it! Otherwise use a tubescreamer which the BB (and the rest of the Xotic boosters) is based off of.

I think that while the Lonestar is a clean based Mesa, I really feel that any of the Dual Recs can cop those tones with the right technique, pedals, and guitars. Look at Quentin Hope's Mesa vids -- almost a Timmons clone, yet that tone seems easily to reproduce on the Dual Rec series amps too. I just don't get all the hoopla surrounding having to go Lonestar only -- the Roadster is far more versatile and nearly the same price. Pair the Roadster head with the Lonestar 4x10 cab (alnico Jensens) and you should be able to accurately cop some Fender tones too.

BostonRedSox said:
Doesn't Andy use lots of pedals anyways? From the Resolution CD, what he says on the Boogie vids is that he usually has two delays going on at all times. He also claims he uses his boosts a lot too, for some extra "oomph."

2 EH Memory Man pedal
1 BB Preamp pedal
1 Budda Wah
Switching system

..plus he uses a few pedals in his effects loop but says they're similar to the pedals on the floor. Kind of bare bones, plug-n-play straight from the amp. Those tones coming from the Lonestar and Stiletto are a different world then the Recs. I would of never got rid of mine had I been able to achieve those tones in the 10 years I owned mine.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
BostonRedSox said:

2 EH Memory Man pedal
1 BB Preamp pedal
1 Budda Wah
Switching system

..plus he uses a few pedals in his effects loop but says they're similar to the pedals on the floor. Kind of bare bones, plug-n-play straight from the amp. Those tones coming from the Lonestar and Stiletto are a different world then the Recs. I would of never got rid of mine had I been able to achieve those tones in the 10 years I owned mine.

~Nep~

Hmm, I think the Dual Recs are closer to his Lonestar tones than you think. After pedals and guitars, I think the player makes a bigger difference in tone than selling your amp for something different. I really feel that the Dual Rectifiers, new and old, are great platforms for great tone. Aren't they based on Fender designs anyways? Maybe they aren't, but they are versatile and great sounding nonetheless. Dialing in and cranking them is really the key to making these amps sound amazing IMO.

Here is a clip of Timmons doing his Resolution thang with a Dual Rectifier. Yes, a MESA DUAL RECTIFIER. He used these in Brazil - they actually belonged to a friend of his. He brought his pedals, guitar, and ability. Sounds pretty **** comparable to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzzH9Vt1eOo

His beginning tones seem to be coming only from the guitar and amp, as you stated Neptical. I don't hear too many effects in there.

You could probably do Timmon's pedal based tones using the Roadsters clean channel, but the Lonestar's lead channel is Mark based. Much smoother, more compressed and more midrange heavy than what a Recto can do.

BostonRedSox said:
Aren't they based on Fender designs anyways?

No. Mark's descended from Fenders. Rectos descended from the Soldano SLO-100.

The tones in the video seem pretty good to me -- boosted or unboosted, they are coming from the Dual Rectifier. I think if you are looking for versatility, the Recs are pretty **** good choices.

Neptical said:
Would of been nice on my old Single Rec, but I couldn't get anywheres near it. Maybe using pedals but that would pretty much defeat the point.

~Nep~

This clip, if the poster is correct, is coming from the Dual Rectifier's clean channel, 50 watts, and various effects. Maybe when you had your Single Rectifier you didn't know what you were doing?

I am not great at dialing into my Mesa at all. I'm getting better though.

BostonRedSox said:
This clip, if the poster is correct, is coming from the Dual Rectifier's clean channel, 50 watts, and various effects. Maybe when you had your Single Rectifier you didn't know what you were doing?

I am not great at dialing into my Mesa at all. I'm getting better though.

That head is the Single Recto.

BostonRedSox said:
His beginning tones seem to be coming only from the guitar and amp, as you stated Neptical. I don't hear too many effects in there.

BB Preamp. If you look at the one at his feet you can see that the LED is on the whole time.

Nope, Dual Rectifier two channel amp.

Yes, of course there is a boost in there. Timmons has stated that he uses his BB a lot. If you look at the video's comments, it lists the pedals he uses. No need to look at his feet. Sounds pretty good to me, coming from a Dual Rec. Are you sure a Lonestar is world's better?

Another video of Timmons and an older two-channel Dual Rec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJoFwqGltdU

BRS--not gonna lie, the tone on that clip is pretty nice. Sounds like he was definitely using his BB preamp to smooth it out.

BostonRedSox said:
Maybe when you had your Single Rectifier you didn't know what you were doing?

As a touring artist, I surely hope I (or anyone helping me out) knew what I was doing. :wink: I just could never get the amp where I thought it should be. Too much experimenting with so many different tubes, guitars, pickups,speakers,etc over the years just led to much frustration of the amp. I was just trying to make it sound like something it wasn't gonna do. It was a lesson much learned. :lol:

~Nep~

BostonRedSox said:
Nope, Dual Rectifier two channel amp.

Nope. Single Rectifier. The solo boost knob gives it away... 2 channel Dual's never had that feature.

Yes, of course there is a boost in there. Timmons has stated that he uses his BB a lot. If you look at the video's comments, it lists the pedals he uses. No need to look at his feet. Sounds pretty good to me, coming from a Dual Rec. Are you sure a Lonestar is world's better?

My point is that his tone is coming from the pedal. He could probably plug it into pretty much anything with a clean channel and get a similar sound.

:lol:

Yeah, I hear ya Neptical. I found this clip and was pretty floored. I think Timmons copped some stuff from this amp that is pretty incredible. Definitely a pedal is used in there, and if it is the BB, well then I'm even more impressed with that pedal as a boost.

I suck at dialing in amps, and have contemplated getting another Mesa to make up for what I feel my rig is lacking. At this point, I am seriously contemplating just going the pedal route to get some of the different gain responses I want to find with my Roadster. Getting tone is a pain, but watching this video is almost comical to the normal "can a Mesa Recto do lead sounds" argument. Yes, there is a pedal in there, but the overall tone is still the amp too. It sound pretty **** good.

If his tone is coming from the pedals, then why do people get sucked into the Lonestars? Seems like an expensive alternative, when you could get a great solid-state clean amp.

I've heard and read so many people talk about his tone and how it is the Lonestar that makes it. If it is mostly pedals, then those people should really figure this out, so they don't waste their money! 8)

Back